Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players who were incomprehensible (British only) when interviewed

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This came up while watching the Derby Hull bore fest tonight. There are plenty of British footballers who, when interviewed, left me thinking WTF was that? Either the accent or the syntax. Here are a few that spring to my mind:

Ray Parlour (I have no idea what he was saying. Was it even in English?)
Kenny Dalgleish (say no more. Please)
Ashley Cole (sorry, what?)
Joe Jordan (OK, let's face it, there were many incomprensible jocks)
Gordon McQueen (OK, I'll move on)
Peter Beardsley (bit harsh, but)
Jamie Carragher (before Sky gave him lessons)
Mick Channon (I can't listen to worzel)
Noel Hunt (I'm sure he's on drugs. And that white leather hat??)

Something to take my mind off tomorrow's massive clench . . . . .

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Mark Bright, perfectly understandable, just talks bollox

I love the way that he never talks about Palace. It makes him a well rounded and objective pundit imo. It's lovely when you get objective opinion from a much loved ex pro. Especially when he always speaks so warmly about Brighton when he calls a match.

I wonder why the Beeb have stopped using him these days. Clearly one of the least wall eyed and axe grinding commentators. #bringbackbrighty

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never had a problem understanding any of them (although had to look up Noel Hunt as I had no idea who he is, and have therefore probably never heard him). Baffles me how people see the rich tapestry of accents we have within these isles as a problem, and accents different to their own to be unintelligible.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Never had a problem understanding any of them (although had to look up Noel Hunt as I had no idea who he is, and have therefore probably never heard him). Baffles me how people see the rich tapestry of accents we have within these isles as a problem, and accents different to their own to be unintelligible.

Are you sure you are actually baffled by a tongue in cheek Friday night thread ?

I can guess that the OP does not really see it as a "problem".

Back on thread ........ Agree with scooter1 ....Early Paul Gascoigne. He was an excitable young pup.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apologies for the tongue in cheek thread. Obviously Hull 0 Derby 2 was not a bore fest. I thought the quality of play was a very high standard, lacking only a greater cutting edge in the final third. That said, beardy's two goals were pretty decent. Overall I was pleased with the result, as I regard Hull as more of a threat to Brighton than Derby. I realise also the ambiguity of the last sentence. But to be strictly fair, I would have had to have written to Derby for the other meaning to be credible.

I hope hat's sorted out any misunderstanding. :kiss:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Paul Lambert.

Never had a problem with Gaza, but then again I am married to a Geordie

I think it's usually Israel that has a problem with Gaza.

But back to the point, it always amuses me that the foreign pundits they have on sometimes seem more eloquent and intelligent in English than some of the native speakers - Ruud Gullit for one, and probably Thierry henry, although he does have more of an accent.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
No idea about when he was a player, but as a manager Paul Jewell is completely incomprehensible.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think it's usually Israel that has a problem with Gaza.

But back to the point, it always amuses me that the foreign pundits they have on sometimes seem more eloquent and intelligent in English than some of the native speakers - Ruud Gullit for one, and probably Thierry henry, although he does have more of an accent.

Little known fact for you.

Yassa Arafat was buried dressed in a Newcastle top, Spurs shorts and a pair of Rangers socks...said he wanted to be buried in the Gaza strip.

I'm here all week :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here