Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New Games Console Recommendations Please

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hi,

Looking to get a new console for a Xmas present (maybe for me, or maybe for my son).

We've got a Wii, Ps3 and Xbox 360 already, and I want to replace with 1 single console for the family.

With the hideous Black Friday taking place, there's possibly some good deals available, so fire away - which should I go for, and why?

Papa

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
PS4 and Xbox One are both decent consoles, despite whatever fanboys of either might say.

PS4 is seen as a more "serious" gamer's console, whilst Xbox One is better at the multi-media stuff, IMO.

A Wii U is a bit more niche I think so to cover all bases would go with one of the first two.

Have personally got a PS4 and really enjoy it, but am not biased either way as had an Xbox360 and that absolutely shat all over the PS3.

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
Hi,

Looking to get a new console for a Xmas present (maybe for me, or maybe for my son).

We've got a Wii, Ps3 and Xbox 360 already, and I want to replace with 1 single console for the family.

With the hideous Black Friday taking place, there's possibly some good deals available, so fire away - which should I go for, and why?

Papa

Does it have to be a dedicated console from the usual offerings of XBox or PS?

My brother-in-law was a console addict for years, then I introduced him to PC Gaming and he was blown away by how much better the quality was and it had the extra benefit of being dual purpose.

I guess it depends on your flavour, if it has to be a console then seeing that you've had the benefit of both a PS and Xbox consoles, it's just about making a decision.

If you feel like moving to the dark side, then a PC or one of the new Steam Boxes could be for you!

It's a personal choice and one that only you can make but price will be the biggest factor in your decision!

A couple of links to whet your appetite:

http://www.alienware.co.uk/landings/steammachine/

http://www.chillblast.com/Gaming-PCs/

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Got an Xbox purely because more of my friends own one, so I was effectively strong-armed into getting it. Previously I've always had Playstations, and the thought of a new Last Of Us game coming out and being unable to play it leaves me feeling cold and afraid, quite frankly. I'd say if you were to argue which console has the better exclusives, the PS4 is a no-brainer in my book.

All that being said and done, I've actually enjoyed the Xbox so far. Granted, the user-interface is horrendous (think Windows 8, but even more fragmented), and I have no desire whatsoever to play Halo, but I think in terms of hardware they're not too dissimilar.

I'd even go as far as saying I prefer the Xbox controller now; despite having previously fan-boy'd the PlayStation controller to the high heavens.

Not sure where previous commentators have arrived at the verdict of 'gash', to be honest. In summary, if you play online a lot, get whichever console more of your mates have. If you just want to play games on your own, get a PS4.

All the best,
A neutral and objective nerd.
X

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Personally I have an Xbox one, and I love it. Nothing really against the PS4 other than the control pad feels a bit cheap and childish in my opinion. Xbox one is now backwards compatible, with a range of older games that is growing daily. Plus as mentioned before, it doubles up nicely as an entire media centre

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I have a ps4 but think I prefer the Xbox ecosystem. Still, holding out for uncharted.

Realistically, wii u has a more great games than either at present but is dying.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got an Xbox purely because more of my friends own one, so I was effectively strong-armed into getting it. Previously I've always had Playstations, and the thought of a new Last Of Game coming out and being unable to play it leaves me feeling cold and afraid, quite frankly. I'd say if you were to argue which console has the better exclusives, the PS4 is a no-brainer in my book.

All that being said and done, I've actually enjoyed the Xbox so far. Granted, the user-interface is horrendous (think Windows 8, but even more fragmented), and I have no desire whatsoever to play Halo, but I think in terms of hardware they're not too dissimilar.

I'd even go as far as saying I prefer the Xbox controller now; despite having previously fan-boy'd the PlayStation controller to the high heavens.

Not sure where previous commentators have arrived at the verdict of 'gash', to be honest. In summary, if you play online a lot, get whichever console more of your mates have. If you just want to play games on your own, get a PS4.

All the best,
A neutral and objective nerd.
X

Think this is probably the most key point - if going online with mates, get what they have..........

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm looking myself and surprised how well supported the last generation still is. are there any games not available on the PS3/Xbox360? if so, is one of them on your want-it list, and an exclusive? that would probably decide it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I ordered a PS4 a few days ago (with Star Wars Battlefront), and have been regularly soiling myself ever since for the damn thing to arrive so I can get stuck in. With Unchartered being an exclusive, that made it a no brainer.

Am I right in thinking the Xbox doesn't have a blu-ray player ? That's always a BIG factor for me, I use that a lot on my PS3.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Sold my Xbox one after about 6 months it was ok but not really what I would call 'next gen' the Ps4 is marginally more powerful, but both are crap compared to a decent gaming pc.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I ordered a PS4 a few days ago (with Star Wars Battlefront), and have been regularly soiling myself ever since for the damn thing to arrive so I can get stuck in. With Unchartered being an exclusive, that made it a no brainer.

Am I right in thinking the Xbox doesn't have a blu-ray player ? That's always a BIG factor for me, I use that a lot on my PS3.

It does have a Blu Ray player, unlike the 360, which was also a factor when I got my PS3. You have to pay to play online for both now, so the PS4 doesn't have that on its side either anymore.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Xbox one is my preference, but both are great systems.
How I see the argument -
Xbox One definitely has the better games line up no contest and is becoming backwards compatible with 360 games.
However what the PS4 lacks in recent titles will be made up for with the announcement that PS2 games will be made backward compatible in the new year. (The PS2 arguably having the best catalogue of games on any system, albeit dated now.)
Xbox One controller is great whereas I find the DS4 far less ergonomic, but guess that's personal preference. If you have 360 and PS3, which controller do you prefer?
PS4 is definitely the more capable hardware and over time could potentially produce superior software, however the same was true between the 360 and PS3 and it would seem time proved this to maybe not the case.
If you have friends for online gaming, what systems have they got? Would suck to have a system with none of your friends to shoot in the face!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It does have a Blu Ray player, unlike the 360, which was also a factor when I got my PS3. You have to pay to play online for both now, so the PS4 doesn't have that on its side either anymore.

Yup, I gather there's a £40 connection fee on the PS4 - is that a one-off fee, or do you have to pay a subscription ?

I don't bother playing online anyway. I'm quite happy to play games on me billy, I don't feel the urge to get given the runaround from some spotty 14 year old virgin who hasn't left his bedroom since April.

albionite

May 20, 2009

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
PS4 is definitely the more capable hardware and over time could potentially produce superior software, however the same was true between the 360 and PS3 and it would seem time proved this to maybe not the case.

key difference is that there isn't the technical complexity of the PS3 to hold back the PS4. as both consoles have basically the same architecture, developers will get more out of the PS4 as its got more horsepower in the graphics department.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
That is complete bollocks.

Both are near enough the same now, buy the console your mates have , the type of games you prefer to play and which controller fits in your hand better.

What part do you consider ballocks?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Yup, I gather there's a £40 connection fee on the PS4 - is that a one-off fee, or do you have to pay a subscription ?

I don't bother playing online anyway. I'm quite happy to play games on me billy, I don't feel the urge to get given the runaround from some spotty 14 year old virgin who hasn't left his bedroom since April.

I think you can pay monthly, but the £40 is the annual fee which works out cheaper.

And you're talking rubbish, I popped out to get some milk in July actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here