Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist Vs Taxi

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Both idiots. Cyclists shouldn't have been overtaking on the inside; taxi driver should have been looking where he was going.

Good to see it was sorted out amicably for once.

Last edited:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Given that the taxi was indicating to turn left, a fact that the cyclist should have been aware of, on this occasion the cyclist is at fault.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The cyclist is undertaking, so his fault.

Why do cyclists not have insurance, as their actions on the road can cause damage to cars as well.

That's not undertaking. They're just cycling on the main road. The taxi driver needs to check his mirrors really - that's basic stuff overlooked for laziness. That being said cyclists have to expect, at any junction, that a vehicle is going to turn into their path and they need to think a step ahead. Fine margins and all that. Luckily no one got too hurt!

Nice to see everyone walking away and not providing any soundbites unlike this guy. Absolute classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFRdEUN240

heathgate

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 13, 2015
Cyclist at fault
...junction, signalling..... open and shut.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Although not clear, I think the taxi is signalling to turn left, if so the cyclist is at fault.

Taxi was indicating to turn left but I always taught pupils, when I was a driving instructor, to check the relevant side mirror before turning. So it may have been avoidable.

I would say that the cyclist was at fault here as the taxi was clearly showing he was turning left.

On a positive note, as already stated, ended amicably and nobody was hurt.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
That's not undertaking. They're just cycling on the main road. The taxi driver needs to check his mirrors really - that's basic stuff overlooked for laziness. That being said cyclists have to expect, at any junction, that a vehicle is going to turn into their path and they need to think a step ahead. Fine margins and all that. Luckily no one got too hurt!

Nice to see everyone walking away and not providing any soundbites unlike this guy. Absolute classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFRdEUN240

The cyclist overtook on the inside of the taxi, which you are not allowed to do. I know people do it, but you are not allowed to, so the cyclist was at fault.

However, if the cyclist, who is at fault had damaged the taxi, the taxi would have had to pay the costs as the cyclist was no insurance.

If cyclists want to use the public highways, it should be mandatory for them to have some form of third party insurance to cover damage they may cause to vehicles.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I've looked at it a few times now... does it appear that the taxi indicted very late (almost as the cyclist was parallel with it)?

Yep, this was my first thought when watching it.

Rules for Cyclists - From The Highway Code

Rule 72
On the left. When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles turning in front of you, out of or into the side road. Just before you turn, check for undertaking cyclists or motorcyclists. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cyclist shouldn't have undertaken, but looked at it a couple of times and I think the taxi started indicating very late (only after the cyclist had gone past the rear end and as he started to turn) so both at fault.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The cyclist overtook on the inside of the taxi, which you are not allowed to do. I know people do it, but you are not allowed to, so the cyclist was at fault.

However, if the cyclist, who is at fault had damaged the taxi, the taxi would have had to pay the costs as the cyclist was no insurance.

If cyclists want to use the public highways, it should be mandatory for them to have some form of third party insurance to cover damage they may cause to vehicles.

Well, I'm no driver, nor cyclist, so I'm not going to start an arguement about it as I'm probably, almost defo wrong. The bus lane add another level of "where should the cyclist be" but I just thought one certainly can't expect all cyclists to move to the outside of a car to pass. That would basically be like pearl harbour. I would have also been pretty peeved that the signal from the taxi came about .25 of a second before they began to turn which doesn't make the signal that useful at all.

But yeah, if we're talking law then you're probably right since I don't know it.

Totally agree with you on the insurance thing. I'm sure there would be far less incidents like this as a result as well. Maybe one day.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

The cyclist is not overtaking. That is a busy road, on busy roads where there are multiple lanes and the inside lane moves faster than the outside lane is considered "filtering". It applies to cars as well.

There's a decent explanation here>>> http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/overtaking-and-filtering-whilst-cycling

In this instance, the taxi signals late, the cyclist doesn't see it. No one is really to blame, both should have exercised a bit more caution.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Although it's hard to see it looks like the Taxi did: No Mirror - Maneuver - Signal. If this is the case the taxi is 90% at fault, and anyone saying otherwise should probably not be on the road! The number of drivers that can't seem to draft Mirror-signal-maneuver is frightening, particularly indicating when halfway through a turn.

In this instance, the taxi signals late, the cyclist doesn't see it. No one is really to blame, both should have exercised a bit more caution.

I don't think you can say no-one is to blame as that suggests it was unavoidable.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cyclist was Right RIP

Cyclist is an idiot. Undertaking is called filtering (not illegal, just ill advised) but most of the time it is idiotic.

Even undertaking stationary vehicles at junctions requires extreme caution. Overtaking is obligatory even then.

This is the reason why inexperienced cyclists have more accidents than old timers cause they make manouevers like that.

Racing cyclists undertake proper destination cyclists as well, thinking they are in a peloton. Crash waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here