Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do Americans think the whole world does thanks giving?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Whenever you speak to an American at this time of year they always ask
"what are you doing for thanks giving this year"

And they seem genuinely surprised when you tell them same as last year, fu@k all

They don't get it that the whole world does not celebrate their tradition.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Why do Americans think the whole world does thanks giving?

They don't in my experience,Ive worked with lots of Americans and not one has ever asked me what I'm doing or not realised it's an american tradition.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We need to embrace it just like we have with Halloween and Black Friday and all the other American shit youngsters seem to love.

Just a matter of time

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
If you don’t like Americans fair enough – but don’t make ridiculous generalisations and stereotypes. I actually like Thanksgiving – it's very much about families and friends and enjoying a good meal and each other’s company.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you don’t like Americans fair enough – but don’t make ridiculous generalisations and stereotypes. I actually like Thanksgiving – it very much about families and friends and enjoying a good meal and each other’s company.

Yeah but it's an American tradition and it should stay that way.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yeah but it's an American tradition and it should stay that way.
It is , and it has , I doubt you've ever been asked what youre doing , or know any british person that celebrates it.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
They call it thanksgiving i call it Christmas. My cards will say Merry Christmas etc. They have their traditions and i shall stick with mine, no problem.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
They call it thanksgiving i call it Christmas. My cards will say Merry Christmas etc. They have their traditions and i shall stick with mine, no problem.
Thanksgiving is a seperate celebration to christmas mate.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just travelled back from London with a pal who works for a US bank - being a good corporate citizen, he absolutely will be attending the office lash-up in Canary Wharf tomorrow night, staying in a hotel to sleep it off and then not going into the office on Friday, so it's not quite right to say non Americans don't celebrate. If it's an excuse for a pissup and a free day off work, why not ?

Commander

Apr 28, 2004
London

Erm.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Thanksgiving is a seperate celebration to christmas mate.

Yeah, i mean't their Happy Winter Festival, should have stated the same with Harvest Festival, same theory applies, no problem. Our traditions are a lot older than the American ones, up to them if they want to name them different . :)

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, i mean't their Happy Winter Festival, should have stated the same with Harvest Festival, same theory applies, no problem. Our traditions are a lot older than the American ones, up to them if they want to name them different . :)

I'm even more confused now. What are you on about?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If you don’t like Americans fair enough – but don’t make ridiculous generalisations and stereotypes. I actually like Thanksgiving – it's very much about families and friends and enjoying a good meal and each other’s company.

I too think its a good reason to organise a family get together but its the fact that most Americans thinks the whole world embraces it.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Seems strange some on here are having a moan, i thought people like me who stuck up for traditions etc were little Little Englanders, now there seems to be a bit of concern about another countries take on celebrated events.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
There was an article in yesterday's I, saying that its coming our way, cornbread sales are up in the supermarkets that sell them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here