Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Irish Wonderkid Richie Towell - website suggesting (with quotes) thait's near a done deal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/towell-eyes-euro-place-as-brighton-move-edging-closer-34224634.html

Article date - 23.11.15

With his move to Brighton and Hove Albion expected to be finalised over the next 48 hours, Richie Towell has turned his sights towards becoming the Euro 2016 wild card of Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane.

Ireland's assistant boss endorsed the PFAI Player of the Year accolade bestowed on the Dundalk double-winner last Friday when presenting him with the trophy, and now Towell wants to share the company of his childhood hero more often.

To press his claims for inclusion in the squad for next summer's Euros, the midfielder recognises he must first hit the ground running upon starting life in the English Championship on January 1.

The 24-year-old last week met the boss of joint-leaders Brighton, former Ireland defender Chris Hughton, at the club's training ground and, without revealing the club, admits a deal could have been struck before the weekend.

He's prepared to be patient but believes his future will be resolved before his girlfriend, Kelly Kirwan, gives birth to their first child in a fortnight.

"The clubs in for me now are very ambitious sides that are Premier League-ready," he admitted.

"It's just about trying to sort out the final things. I never rush into anything - I always like to have a look at every angle. Going to League One or League Two was never really an option for me.

"I want to go to improve my career; prove myself as a player and to be successful."

Adding senior caps to the array of underage appearances he made would rank high in that success. If James McClean proved the 'bolter' for the 2012 Euros, then another League of Ireland export reckons he can mount a late tilt at snaffling a place in the 23-man squad for this latest instalment.

"Everyone knows how confident I am and I do think I am good enough to break into the Ireland squad," said Towell.

"I know they have a really strong side - I'm not being disrespectful to any of the players in it - but I'd back myself over anyone any day.

"Luckily enough, I played for the U-21s alongside Jeff Hendrick and James McCarthy as the midfield trio. I'd love to recapture that.

"Roy said I broke his heart by scoring the winner against Cork City in the FAI Cup final. Hopefully I'll be seeing a lot more of him pretty soon; that's the plan."

Meanwhile, League of Ireland clubs are poised to find out whether they're being short-changed by the Football Association of Ireland after nominating renowned barrister Michael Cush SC to represent them in the fall-out of the Conroy Report.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/towell-eyes-euro-place-as-brighton-move-edging-closer-34224634.html

Article date - 23.11.15

With his move to Brighton and Hove Albion expected to be finalised over the next 48 hours, Richie Towell has turned his sights towards becoming the Euro 2016 wild card of Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane.

Ireland's assistant boss endorsed the PFAI Player of the Year accolade bestowed on the Dundalk double-winner last Friday when presenting him with the trophy, and now Towell wants to share the company of his childhood hero more often.

To press his claims for inclusion in the squad for next summer's Euros, the midfielder recognises he must first hit the ground running upon starting life in the English Championship on January 1.

The 24-year-old last week met the boss of joint-leaders Brighton, former Ireland defender Chris Hughton, at the club's training ground and, without revealing the club, admits a deal could have been struck before the weekend.

He's prepared to be patient but believes his future will be resolved before his girlfriend, Kelly Kirwan, gives birth to their first child in a fortnight.

"The clubs in for me now are very ambitious sides that are Premier League-ready," he admitted.

"It's just about trying to sort out the final things. I never rush into anything - I always like to have a look at every angle. Going to League One or League Two was never really an option for me.

"I want to go to improve my career; prove myself as a player and to be successful."

Adding senior caps to the array of underage appearances he made would rank high in that success. If James McClean proved the 'bolter' for the 2012 Euros, then another League of Ireland export reckons he can mount a late tilt at snaffling a place in the 23-man squad for this latest instalment.

"Everyone knows how confident I am and I do think I am good enough to break into the Ireland squad," said Towell.

"I know they have a really strong side - I'm not being disrespectful to any of the players in it - but I'd back myself over anyone any day.

"Luckily enough, I played for the U-21s alongside Jeff Hendrick and James McCarthy as the midfield trio. I'd love to recapture that.

"Roy said I broke his heart by scoring the winner against Cork City in the FAI Cup final. Hopefully I'll be seeing a lot more of him pretty soon; that's the plan."

Meanwhile, League of Ireland clubs are poised to find out whether they're being short-changed by the Football Association of Ireland after nominating renowned barrister Michael Cush SC to represent them in the fall-out of the Conroy Report.

Well, that's a give away! Glad to see he's on message already.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
.. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]...?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Gone surprisingly quiet though, seeing as according to this he's meant to be announced TODAY. Thought I'd see 2/3 threads about him on the front page.

According to the latest reports, he has turned down offers from Turkey and Poland, also had offers from England (not just us) so it's not a given he will come here, although it does sound like we're the front runners.

He also got a mention in the MARCA Spanish newspaper due to the number of goals he scored this year!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
According to the latest reports, he has turned down offers from Turkey and Poland, also had offers from England (not just us) so it's not a given he will come here, although it does sound like we're the front runners.

He also got a mention in the MARCA Spanish newspaper due to the number of goals he scored this year!

Depends whether this article is to be believed or not. It puts forward as fact that he has met Hughton and is just crossing the i's and dotting the t's.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Was a good prospect when at the Great Unwashed but their inability to further develop this and get him match fit counted aganst him. Like for Kayal, Celtic failed to sort him out fitnesswise; they are not very good in that department.
I think he will be a good addition.

TNBA

TTF

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Posted 2 hours ago:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1125/749102-richie-towell-still-undecided-on-next-move/

Dundalk star Richie Towell insists he hasn't made any decision on which club he will join next.
Brighton and Hove Albion have been one of several clubs leading the charge for Towell but the double winner and PFAI Player of the Year insists no deal is done yet.
However, Towell reckons it will more than likely be a Championship club he joins after turning down offers from clubs in Turkey and Poland.
“Nothing is done yet. It’s all up in the air at the moment and it’s just a waiting game," he said. "I was hoping something would have been sorted last week.
“There are a good few clubs in for me but I have to weigh up what is best for me and my family. Hopefully something will be sorted by the end of the week."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Towelie: I can't remember, it all looks the same. Hold on, let me get high. Then I'll remember where it is.
[Towelie smokes the pot and gets really high]

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He's not really a "kid" at 24 is he.

and hardly a 'wonder kid' kicking around for Dundalk for a couple of seasons, he is a player that up until 23 years old hadnt played anything like a full season of first team football for any team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here