Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the earliest you have left a game

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
OK I am not talking about the 5 or 10 minutes early discussion we have had on here recently, where people have left early to avoid the crush / catch a bus / train, etc.

I am talking about when you have been so royally fed up with the performance that you upped and left.

The only time I can think back to when I have done this was back in the days when we were briefly top-flight, in the early 80s (I stand to be corrected if some of the details are incorrect, but this is my recall of the day in question).

We were playing Oxford United in the FA Cup at The Goldstone. Oxford at the time were bottom division, so this should have been a walkover for us. However, by half-time we were 0-3 down and with the boos and calls of "what a load of rubbish" ringing round the ground I left at half-time!

The joke was on me though, as I walked back to the car, parked at Hove Park, I realised I had left my Dad in the ground, who had the car keys - so I had to spend the second half sitting on the bonnet of the car, waiting for the final whistle. We drew the second half 0-0, so hey, not so bad.:drool:

I am sure there will be someone out there who can beat leaving at half time, so let's hear it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Never left early. Recall the Oxford game as the defeat was even harder to take as many top sides were already out and there would have been a good chance to have a long run

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Cannot remember the opposition for certain, but it may have been Barnsley or the like at home at Withdrawn. I never went to our temporary home as often as many on here (bad fan) perhaps partly because I was of the generation who went through the glory years, who knows. Anyway, we spent pre game in the Station Hotel by Preston Park railway station and were in no rush to down our drinks and so arrived after 3pm on a cold, grey bleak wintry afternoon to watch the kind of crap football that would call anyone's loyalty into question.

Anyway, at half time we tried to have a sly smoke round the back of the portacabin toilets somewhere when one of the stewards challenged us. This combined with the drizzle that was beginning to fall made us question our sanity and the decision was made, back to the pub! So the answer is half time is the earliest I have left a match, unless you count being removed by a member of The Met at Craven Cottage before kick off many years ago!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Left at half time for a game I think was against Derby at the amex. I remember arriving around the 25 minute mark a little the worse for wear. Got a text inviting me to a house party and decided carrying on drinking was preferable to sitting in the cold

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Withdean against Orient I think, sat next to the away supporters in the little east stand, half time I sparked up and quite rightly was told to smoke outside the perimeter of the ground, was then told if I left I wouldn't be allowed back in ! I took them up on there kind offer!

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
West Ham away. Left after 15 minutes. Poyets team selection was terrible.

People were still coming in as I left.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Cannot remember the opposition for certain, but it may have been Barnsley or the like at home at Withdrawn. I never went to our temporary home as often as many on here (bad fan) perhaps partly because I was of the generation who went through the glory years, who knows. Anyway, we spent pre game in the Station Hotel by Preston Park railway station and were in no rush to down our drinks and so arrived after 3pm on a cold, grey bleak wintry afternoon to watch the kind of crap football that would call anyone's loyalty into question.

Anyway, at half time we tried to have a sly smoke round the back of the portacabin toilets somewhere when one of the stewards challenged us. This combined with the drizzle that was beginning to fall made us question our sanity and the decision was made, back to the pub! So the answer is half time is the earliest I have left a match, unless you count being removed by a member of The Met at Craven Cottage before kick off many years ago!

Oh yeah I forgot , 10 mins by the same organisation at Sellhurst v Charlton. Was going through a faze of sitting with the home fans back then and bloody Nelson scored rather to quickly.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Away at Barnet many years ago when we were crap. We were getting soaked in the away end and the stewards would not let us in to the covered bit there
Emeka Ifejiagwa (Nigerian we had on loan from Charlton and who was later deported as he didn't have a work permit) scored for us on (I believe) 56 minutes and we left very shortly afterwards, walked to the Northern line and sat quietly steaming on the tube all the way back into central London
Apart from Halifax at home at Withdean in December (3-4 ?) I don't think Ive ever been so wet

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Selhurst Park - Andy Johnson's game. Left after 60 mins.
Bloody pleased too - others were held in for an hour after the game....

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Always seem to walk away when 4 or more down whatever the time so Brentford & Palace spring to mind early 2nd half (out of a 1000 no walk)

el punal

OK I am not talking about the 5 or 10 minutes early discussion we have had on here recently, where people have left early to avoid the crush / catch a bus / train, etc.

I am talking about when you have been so royally fed up with the performance that you upped and left.

The only time I can think back to when I have done this was back in the days when we were briefly top-flight, in the early 80s (I stand to be corrected if some of the details are incorrect, but this is my recall of the day in question).

We were playing Oxford United in the FA Cup at The Goldstone. Oxford at the time were bottom division, so this should have been a walkover for us. However, by half-time we were 0-3 down and with the boos and calls of "what a load of rubbish" ringing round the ground I left at half-time!

The joke was on me though, as I walked back to the car, parked at Hove Park, I realised I had left my Dad in the ground, who had the car keys - so I had to spend the second half sitting on the bonnet of the car, waiting for the final whistle. We drew the second half 0-0, so hey, not so bad.:drool:

I am sure there will be someone out there who can beat leaving at half time, so let's hear it.

I was at that game as well!! Probably, no, defininetly the worst Albion performance that I've seen in fifty years of watching the boys. I did stay to the end just to vent my feelings on that pathetic bunch of 'players' who were supposed to represent Brighton. It is the only time that I've ever booed the team, albeit after the final whistle.

Mind you, I was sorely tempted after the Millwall debacle of last season.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Thrown out of the North Stand, by the coppers, for swearing! That was in the first half, so missed 10 mins while I legged it and got into the chicken run. Never left home or away early, although seriously tempted over the years!!

el punal

April(?) 1972, the Albion were playing Bolton at the Goldstone, and we were challenging for promotion. We had to leave at halftime to get to a Moody Blues concert at Wembley!! :eek:

Personally, I would rather have stayed and watched the second half. :angel:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
My leaving early story doesn't meet the OP's requirements but I'm putting it up anyway as a lesson in the evilly early departures.

Back in our Priestfield days I went to see us play (I think) Rotherham. It was 2-1 to us with 5 minutes to go: the match finely balanced. I was meeting a mate in London that night and had to get back to Woking before getting the train into the city. After much agonising I decided I had to crack on and left.

I'd only got as far as the exit gates when a cheer told me it was 3-1. Ah! Bugger. At least I could leave happy I suppose. As I got to my car another cheer told me it was 4-1. FFS.

I'd never left early before then and never have since.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I left a game at the Goldstone at half time to go to my brother-in-laws wedding in Portland Road at 4pm. I was there in a suit and my wife picked me up outside.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
60 minutes into Hyppia's dire, dire 'effort' against Millwall at the AMEX.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Selhurst Park - Andy Johnson's game. Left after 60 mins.
Bloody pleased too - others were held in for an hour after the game....

I think I tried to leave after 63 minutes but not allowed. I got home (5 miles away in Wimbledon) at 8:30pm. F*king ridiculous. As a consequence, even now I usually find myself considering whether to bother going to these games any more.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Away at Crew Alexander back in the late 80s or early 90s my memory is fading...

I know we were 4-0 very quickly I think in about 20mins and a group of us Albion fans asked to leave and the stewards would'nt let us, eventually they did and we went to a pub around the corner for the rest of the afternoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here