NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Lefties promoting 'the politics of envy'

Capital, Watson, Capital :wave:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I wanted to like it, cracking cast etc, but found it difficult to warm to any characters and introducing so many faces in one go was a bit much, hopefully the next episode will settle down. It has good reviews and the book is meant to be very good, although I've not read it

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Palace fans when it comes to our stadium and owner that puts millions of his own money into the club. Its the only explanation for using the same architects as we have and getting new people to invest. Of-course they will deny it, but that only proves I'm right.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The book is superb - I thoroughly enjoyed reading it a couple of years ago.
I thought the first episode was OK and introduced the characters and their fears and foibles quite well

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Enjoyed the first episode; not least because it was rather different to many TV dramas.
Looking forward to next time.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
John Lanchester's 'Debt To Pleasure' is my all-time favourite book, it's better than Capital, which was also a pretty good read.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hadn't planned to watch it. It was just on in the background.

I shall definitely be watching the rest.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
John Lanchester's 'Debt To Pleasure' is my all-time favourite book, it's better than Capital, which was also a pretty good read.

I'm a big fan of Debt to Pleasure, less so Capital and, while we're on Lanchester's books, can highly recommend Whoops! if you want to know what those in the financial sector have been up to. I used to serve Lanchester regularly, and he's a really good guy.
Capital is trying to be like Jonathan Franzen, but is less successful, largely because it has 'types' rather than complex 'characters'. These 'types' are amplified in the TV series but, nonetheless, it's a decent social anatomy of contemporary London, and there are some interesting interactions and themes between the characters/types.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I'm a big fan of Debt to Pleasure, less so Capital and, while we're on Lanchester's books, can highly recommend Whoops! if you want to know what those in the financial sector have been up to. I used to serve Lanchester regularly, and he's a really good guy.
Capital is trying to be like Jonathan Franzen, but is less successful, largely because it has 'types' rather than complex 'characters'. These 'types' are amplified in the TV series but, nonetheless, it's a decent social anatomy of contemporary London, and there are some interesting interactions and themes between the characters/types.

How nice to hear. I have given it (Debt to Pleasure) as a present so many times, but have never met anyone else who has actually read it! Personally I think it would make a brilliant film, and the anti-hero of the book, would be a great character to see on screen. Ralph Fiennes or Jeremy Irons, could do a job.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
How nice to hear. I have given it (Debt to Pleasure) as a present so many times, but have never met anyone else who has actually read it! Personally I think it would make a brilliant film, and the anti-hero of the book, would be a great character to see on screen. Ralph Fiennes or Jeremy Irons, could do a job.

Yup. Would make a good film. If you like Capital, try The Corrections and Freedom by Franzen. They're similar to Capital, but based around American families, are much funnier, and the characters and relationships between them are more complex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here