Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bolton's Eddie Davies will 'gift' Bolton c£185m

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm a bit torn on where I stand on this TBH. At first sight it looks a bit like that QPR arrangement where they dodged FFP and he'll no doubt get some of it back from the sale.

But - it's better than going in to administration with a competitive squad (hello Palace) and there is no doubt Uncle Tone has gifted us an awful lot of wedge too.

Then there's the fact that they pushed for a Premier League closed shop (wonder why) versus the fact I wouldn't want any other club's fans to have to consider never being able to go again.

In short I'm on the FENCE with this.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
People in glass houses and all that - but football finances are bloomin' up the shoot. Even if it is purchased without debt - how much more than gate money will be needed to be competitive in the championship ?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"will wipe the slate clean before completing any sale"

Bolton owner Eddie Davies to either write-off or gift to the club the c£185m of loans he has made and are still owed, in order that the club can be sold.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...rt-to-speed-up-sale-of-Championship-side.html

Believe this when I read the small print.

My betting is he (Moonshift) will keep the hotel and its profits.

"will wipe the slate clean before completing any sale" Quote from the newspaper.

In this way, Bolton will be on par with other Championship clubs, without the extra income.

See https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/453794490877485056/photo/1

That will knock £7 million off their annual income.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/why-bolton-have-so-much-debt.html

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
His debt would have been worthless anyway. No different from Bloom's in us - and if he chose to forgive it, would we all complain?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
People in glass houses and all that - but football finances are bloomin' up the shoot. Even if it is purchased without debt - how much more than gate money will be needed to be competitive in the championship ?

I've long said on here, when others have criticised Bolton's high levels of debt, that they are probably the club most similar to ourselves in that the debt is primarily all due to one single benefactor.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So £20m to buy a club which due to the loans has effectively been losing money for some time, and could well be a League One side next season. Other than a heavy short term investment once brought to push for and achieve Premier League status, it doesn't look a good investment from the outside and could go into freefall in relegated this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bolton owner Eddie Davies to either write-off or gift to the club the c£185m of loans he has made and are still owed, in order that the club can be sold.
That guy must have some serious wedge to write off that sort of sum
Surely it makes no difference. If he writes it off, the club is worth c£185m more than if he doesn't? If the club is worth less than £185m once the debt is cancelled, then it's just whether he can recoup more money by selling it debt free, or going into administration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here