Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FL Talking Points: Red rage [Sky Sports News]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
gaetano-berardi-leon-best-leeds_3380531.png
gaetano-berardi-leon-best-leeds_3380531.png

Gaetano Berardi and Leon Best were sent off following a fracas.

Don Goodman tackles this week's Football League talking points, and says the FA shouldn't further punish Leeds United defender Gaetano Berardi despite 'losing the plot' against Rotherham.
The Sky Sports expert also thinks that the cream has now risen to the top of the Sky Bet Championship and gives his views on a turbulent week for Reading and Steve Clarke.
Who or what caught your eye? Leave your comments below if you're reading on*skysports.com*or get in touch via Twitter*@SkySportsFL.
Best v*Berardi: bad blood*
Joe Newell netted the winning goal as Rotherham beat Leeds 1-0 in a heated game where both sides were reduced to 10-men when Gaetano Berardi and Leon Best were sent off following a fracas.
Best caught Berardi with an elbow flush in the nose on 73 minutes which prompted retaliation from the Leeds defender, who pushed Best to the ground and then had to be restrained by the linesman from going after Best.
promo272396230
promo272396230

Highlights from Elland Road as Rotherham took all three points from hosts Leeds.

As the red mist descended, the defender knocked the flag out of the linesman's hand and he could face further disciplinary action from the Football Association.*
GOODMAN SAYS:*I was covering the game for Soccer Saturday, and only Best will know whether the elbow was intentional. It didn't look good on replays.
I don't think Berardi got sent-off for the shove but he was very aggressive with an assistant referee, knocking the flag out of his hand. He was trying to get at Best. It's that aggression that has got him sent-off. His nose was smashed to pieces and the red mist came down. It's not easy when you feel aggrieved to control your emotions.
Berardi lost the plot - as you can do as a player - I can remember several times when it happened to me!
However, I certainly never pushed an official - my red mist was directed at opposition players.
16-9
don-goodman-football-expert_3339319.jpg

[h=2]Berardi lost the plot – as you can do as a player, I can remember several times when it happened to me![/h]Don on Berardi red

He'll get a three game ban but I hope the FA don't take any further action. By sending Best off, they've deemed Berardi, who had blood streaming from his nose, has been on the end of something unsavoury. Therefore they've got to take that into consideration.*
And then there were five?
In another exciting weekend of action, the top five in the Championship all avoided defeat and there is now a five point gap to Birmingham in sixth.
The only teams to win of that quintet were Middlesbrough and Derby, who are both now just two points off top spot.
Ut_HKthATH4eww8X4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

Highlights from Middlesbrough's 1-0 win over QPR in the SkyBet Championship.

GOODMAN SAYS:*With Burnley, Brighton and Hull dropping points, Derby and Middlesbrough were the real winners this weekend. There's now only two points separating the top five and it's going to be a terrific scrap.With 10 games to go last season, there was just one point separating the top five and it wouldn't surprise me if we get something similar. I think the cream has risen to the top - those top five will stay around the top six all season. I can't imagine any of the teams going on a poor run as they're so full of confidence. What we do know is that there's going to be a real ding-dong battle to make it into those automatic promotion places.
Paul Lamborghini?
Paul Lambert made a fast start to his career at Blackburn Rovers with a 2-1 triumph at Preston North End on Saturday.
Simon Grayson's side had kept six consecutive clean sheets before the visit of Rovers, who took 5,486 fans to Deepdale.
paul-lambert-blackburn-rovers-manager_3377542.jpg
paul-lambert-blackburn-rovers-manager_3377542.jpg

Paul Lambert kicked off his Blackburn career with a 2-1 win.

Lambert's team are just eight points off the play-off places.
GOODMAN SAYS:*I think Gary Bowyer was unlucky to lose his job. I saw Blackburn a lot under him and they played very well even though results weren't very consistent. Inaccurate refereeing decisions cost them points, too. However, it's the nature of the beast. Football managers get sacked and when they do it opens up an opportunity for another football manager. The timing for Paul Lambert to come in couldn't have been better.

Highlights from Deepdale as Blackburn defeated hosts Preston 2-1.

Preston hadn't lost in their last five home games, so it was a great result, especially in a local derby. Blackburn will be aiming high and could make the top-six but I could say that about a number of clubs. It will be very difficult to break into the play-off picture.
Reaction to Clarke's u-turn*
Despite holding talks with Fuham last week Steve Clarke remained in the Reading dugout as his team ran out 2-1 winners over Bolton.
Clarke said speculation about his future "had no effect on the players whatsoever" as first-half goals from Lucas Piazon and Danny Williams were enough to see off Wanderers, who are now bottom of the league.
steve-clarke-reading-football_3374995.jpg
steve-clarke-reading-football_3374995.jpg

Steve Clarke had talks with Fulham but decided to stay at Reading.

GOODMAN SAYS:*It was a massive win for Reading at the weekend because it was their first victory in five games. They needed that. Steve Clarke is doing a good job and they're on the cusp of a play-off place. He has a good team to work with. I watched them against Ipswich when they thumped them 5-1 and they were magnificent.
But what happened last week is a very strange situation.
Managers are given permission by clubs to talk to other clubs - that happens, but this episode has been played out in public. It shouldn't have got there. It should have been done on quiet, then none of this pressure would have been on Clarke.
It shouldn't have an effect on the dressing room, but that doesn't mean it won't. Footballers are very professional and it shouldn't have any impact on their performance levels. You should be focusing on your job.

Highlights of Reading's 2-1 win over Bolton in the SkyBet Championship.

However, It will have an effect on the home crowd.
I don't think the fans will like this situation. When results start to turn, he's going to be under more pressure than usual now these stories have come out. The Reading fans aren't likely to be as patient with Clarke now.*

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

More...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here