Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You are the manager: Instructions to Dunk

Your instructions to Dunk

• No more holding!

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Be more subtle.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Carry on as you have been. Freak incident.

Votes: 13 18.6%

• Total voters

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
What would you say to Dunk and the others?

Has Hooper really dealt a sly blow to us? Will referees now be more aware of Dunk and corner antics? Will it change the way we and only we defend corners.

What would you say to the team.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I wouldn't be speaking to the team about it before speaking to the FA and our legal department.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Stop walking around on the pitch looking like this and you'll be just fine

FullSizeRender.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We played away at Lincoln a few years ago and their manager Keith Alexander said on the radio after they beat us that he went to the ref before the game and asked him to watch out for Butters and Cullip shirt pulling, which he did and gave 2 penalties which they scored and knocked us out of the cup. It didnt stop them doing in again though or refs to watch them closer.. It will only happen to Dunk if the FL set him up a an example to refs.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd remind him to bring a cushion with him, those benches can be quite hard.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
"Sit down" (on the bench)?

Seriously do think there is a debate to be had with referees about how they are going to act.
In pretty well every game I've seen in the last few years referees have done one of two things

(a) ignore players' antics at corners etc
(b) blow the whistle and order the kick retaken after speaking to the players.

Giving a penalty when he did is more than drastic and adds fuel to the view that Hooper has some sort of dislike for us as a club

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good thread, it's becoming an issue.

I think I'd sit him down and tell him this is a very important time in his career.

He is 24 now, not a teenager, and the mistakes keep coming. Usually about two a match. Some have cost us points this season, and some he has got away with (I'm thinking of a couple of rash challenges that could have been penalties, other fouls, and giving the ball away).

If Dunk is to be any good, these mistakes should no longer be happening as regularly as they are. He needs to work harder and listen more closely to what he is being told on the training ground.

Ultimately this will be the difference between which league he ends up playing in for the rest of his career.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
"Sit down" (on the bench)?

Seriously do think there is a debate to be had with referees about how they are going to act.
In pretty well every game I've seen in the last few years referees have done one of two things

(a) ignore players' antics at corners etc
(b) blow the whistle and order the kick retaken after speaking to the players.

Giving a penalty when he did is more than drastic and adds fuel to the view that Hooper has some sort of dislike for us as a club

He cant just order it to be re-taken. Once the ball is in play he has to make a decsion. he clearly saw it as a foul. Dunk was unlucky.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
If he could be more subtle like Tony Adams used to be, id be happy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A young lad from one of my sons schools was taken on by Spurs at 15 years old. One of the first things he was taught was how to hold a players shirt or shorts to stop him jumping and to stand on his foot. That is what needs to be changed.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
When we are taking corners I would ask one of our players when tugged to lift up their shirt.

Maybe ask Nike if our shirts could come with fishing line fray for this purpose. It will be a shirt feature and help sales and well as solving the problem of not making much of our corners.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He should be made to watch videos of our former great defender (the best defender at the club, according to Gus) Adam El Abd. Forget the shirt, just give the player you're marking a great big hug and hold on!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When we are taking corners I would ask one of our players when tugged to lift up their shirt.

Maybe ask Nike if our shirts could come with fishing line fray for this purpose. It will be a shirt feature and help sales and well as solving the problem of not making much of our corners.

Perhaps the back of all shirts should be attached by velcro.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He cant just order it to be re-taken. Once the ball is in play he has to make a decsion. he clearly saw it as a foul. Dunk was unlucky.

Fair enough but an observant ref sees it early. No question it was a penalty but I think the (two way) tug of war started before the kick was taken.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bearing in mind the way some of the less intelligent fans of some other clubs see us, I don't think we should be seen to be actively encouraging shirt-lifting. Not on the pitch, anyway.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

When we take corners I'd like it to look like they actually include them during practice sessions at Lancing. Let's not complicate matters with teaching them how to cheat.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the manager. The FA need to come out with a definitive line on antics at corners and all set pieces in general. I don't have a problem with Dunk being penalised but there needs to be absolute consistency across the board. Players have no business to be holding onto other players shirts anywhere on the pitch irrespective of the situation.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I'd tell him to hold a player is fine - to try and remove his shirt is far from subtle and likely to draw the attention of a referee which is exactly what it did here

Not that it matters - he has been the worse of our three centre backs so far this season and so when Hunemeier is fit can take his rightful place back on the bench

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here