Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Undefeated or a few more points?

Undefeated or a few more points?

• Happy with the undefeated record

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • Would trade a few draws for wins and defeats and a few more points

Votes: 76 63.9%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Remarkable achievement as it is, we've drawn a lot and a WL is better than a DD.

Are you happy with our unbeaten run, or would you happily swap, say, 4 draws for 2 wins and 2 defeats for the extra point?

Big Bill

Banned
Nov 4, 2015
Remarkable achievement as it is, we've drawn a lot and a WL is better than a DD.

Are you happy with our unbeaten run, or would you happily swap, say, 4 draws for 2 wins and 2 defeats for the extra point?

What do points mean? [PRIZES!]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Er, two extra points? No brainer - two wins.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Points, undefeated means nothing unless you can do it for whole season and that's unlikely.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The answer should always be points, esp as the team aren't going the whole season undefeated.

But this run is pretty special and something for the fans (those Albion fans that actually like the team etc) to really get behind.

The team is 8 - 12 places higher than EVERYBODY thought, and undefeated, what's not to love?

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I agree that additional points are the most important factor, but there is an argument that the undefeated record provides a psychological advantage going into the next game. There's no doubt that the team are playing with a level of confidence at the moment that I can't recall seeing for some time.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think many underestimate how important the undefeated record is. It must make the players feel pretty indestructible. I therefore votes for the record as thoroughly believe this record / tag has already won us a few extra points we wouldn't have won if we didn't have it, crazy as it may sound... Mentally it must be a huge lift and we'd have lost one or 2 games that we've drawn without it IMO...

I appreciate not everyone will agree with my slightly crazy thoughts btw :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The other point to bear in mind is that, while we might get more points from not drawing games, we're also depriving opponents of more points when we draw against them. So, it might prove better to win one and draw two against our direct rivals -- such as Derby, Boro and Birmingham -- than to win two and lose one.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The other point to bear in mind is that, while we might get more points from not drawing games, we're also depriving opponents of more points when we draw against them. So, it might prove better to win one and draw two against our direct rivals -- such as Derby, Boro and Birmingham -- than to win two and lose one.

Another point is to realise that no other team has more points than us, at the moment.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I agree that additional points are the most important factor, but there is an argument that the undefeated record provides a psychological advantage going into the next game. There's no doubt that the team are playing with a level of confidence at the moment that I can't recall seeing for some time.

But, conversely, does it encourage playing for a draw, rather than going for the win?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm inclined to go for the undefeated, as every time we play the likes of Hull, Burnley and Wednesday, especially at their place, it is denying them a minimum of two points too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There is a little rumour that TB has backed us to have an undefeated season.

:)

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Only Hull and Middlesborough have won more than us. One more win, that's it. So this "too many draws" is a nonsense. We've had one draw too many. If that one draw was a win then we'd have had the same amount of wins as Hull and Middlesborough. The other draws compared to the best of the rest are draws not losses. End of discussion.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I'm happy we are undefeated, not sure what the expectations were for other avid forum readers but I wasn't expecting this!!! Thought we might challenge for a playoff place but we are serious contenders now and no teams are going to want to play us, home or away. I wonder how many people would have been happy with being second on goal difference plus unbeaten by November if the question had been asked back in August? It would seem a bit negative to complain about the team in these circumstances and 35 points at this stage is amazing regardless of the draws. Obviously 51 points would have been nice, 16 points clear and a superior goal difference of +30 due to our rousing 4/5 goal winning margins but I suspect some people would still complain, why can't we score 7, positional play of the defence, where is the pace on our wings etc etc. :bhasign: I'm just enjoying the season week by week which compared to last year is a complete turn around.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Happy with the undefeated record. But would also prefer more points.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Part of me ( the major part ) is hoping that we will lose one soon as the undefeated run must place huge pressure on the team.

Sure it is nice to be the only team of the 92 thus far undefeated but, from a practical perspective, the continuation of that undefeated run has also coincided with the surrender of a lead at the top of, what was it, six points.

This is a no brainer !

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
We'll probably go on an equally good run once we lose one. The post-match cliche will switch from "we just take one game at a time" to "it's how we respond to this", bouncebackability blah blah, ultimately reinforcing the steel.

I would look up how the defeats were spaced when Mr Lock Stock Extra did it with Newcastle, but I cannae be arsed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here