Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electric multi plugs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have an electric 10 point tower near our tv to take tv dvd etc running off of a socket of which only 5 are used. I also have another one near my armchair to charge phones laptop tablet etc running off of another socket but on the same ring main as the other. We have noticed that charging a phone takes 3 times as long using my tower than putting the charger into a socket in the bedroom. Why should this be as the towers dont have less electric? It would be slightly inconvenient to use just 1 tower due to lengths of leads to various appliances and where they are situated.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
obvs the socket in the bedroom is getting more electricity.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Put the plugs in the lower part of the tower, electricity slows down going up gradients as it is a current (like water). Therefore less height, faster leccy ..... :mad:

:moo:

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Or turn it upside down and the gravity will pull the electricity down faster.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Or turn it upside down and the gravity will pull the electricity down faster.

You can get the same effect to speed up the charging by plugging the phone charger in the top socket on the tower, then putting the phone on the floor (ie below the socket it's plugged into) so the electricity flows down the cable to the phone

:moo:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I thought it was more to do with altitude - if the bedroom is upstairs the lower pressure due to extra height will allow the electricity to run faster.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didnt know if the current weakens due to more appliances taking from it as a water supply does with washing machine, dish washer and hose pipe all on together. Our shower blows a fuse if it is on and somebody flushes the toilet so reducing the water supply or pressure.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
If you have a 10 stack power tower and only charging your phone, the tower is still receiving power to every socket, hence why in the bedroom only using socket is faster.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Little known fact - If you put your phone on top of your head whilst charging it charges it a lot faster. It should take no longer than half hour using this method but be sure not to remove it half way through the charge, just get a friend or family member to check if it's done for you. :thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Are you using the same charger, or does the tower have built in USB sockets ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are you using the same charger, or does the tower have built in USB sockets ?

The same charger it is an oldish one. If you have an amount of electric going in to 2 sockets then add 2 more less can go to the original 2 sockets or does that not work with electric as it drags more from the supplier. I have no idea I just plug an appliance in use it and then pay the bill.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Simples, your tower is either just lazy or perhaps it bears a grudge for a previous slight or ill conceived insult aimed at it.........Christ I need a beer!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This thread is already better than most comedy shows and it's only 2 pages in.
I do hope it runs and runs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am asking because I dont know, if a pipe leaks I can see that and repair it but you cant see electric and the last thing I want is to go to bed and the block of flats go up in flames apart from anything else it may stop me getting to The Amex or posting on here. I would feel such a fool calling out an electrican and him saying it is too many plugs off the circuit or similar dont use a couple at the same time.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am asking because I dont know, if a pipe leaks I can see that and repair it but you cant see electric and the last thing I want is to go to bed and the block of flats go up in flames apart from anything else it may stop me getting to The Amex or posting on here. I would feel such a fool calling out an electrican and him saying it is too many plugs off the circuit or similar dont use a couple at the same time.

Excellent point. There is no way you'd be able to post a picture of your flat going up in flames on here if your phone wasn't charged up. Good thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here