Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship's promotion candidates - you choose

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
So here we are, six games from the half-way split. It's surely reasonable to claim Albion are now 'promotion contenders' even if, like anyone else, we are not immune from a spectacular late season implosion.
There's a clear 'big boys club' forming near the top, with Albion, Hull, Boro, Derby and Burnley looking to bully the chasing pack. A win for Birmingham on Saturday (gulp) and that could change - and to reiterate, there are at least five other clubs who will fancy a late season rally and that final promotion slot.

But let's concentrate on the 'fab five', to include one wild card. At this stage, in order, who do you see as Albion's biggest threat for automatic promotion? And briefly explain why...

Here are mine:

1) Derby. Clement seems to have found his feet. They don't rely on one goal-scoring superstar, with Martin, Weimann, Ince and Bent all capable in this department. They are seasoned promotion candidates and have a system which works home and away. Good all-rounders with very few weaknesses.

2) Hull. Are looking ominous. Brushed aside Ipswich and Boro (both 3-0) in recent matches and have heaps of experience in the likes of Snodgrass, Livermore, Huddlestone etc. Hernandez looks a real handful. Bruce is a wily old fox and will make sure Hull keep up the pace.

3) Boro. Leadbitter, Clayton and Downing are all top quality at this level and man for man, they probably have the best squad in the division. However, I have concerns about Karanka's direction when things don't always work out. He looks a misery guts, prone to a few icy sulks.

4) Burnley. Robust and well balanced, they are a match for anyone. But what happens if Gray gets injured or loses form? A bit underwhelmed by their performance against the Albion. Dyche also looks more flustered than I've seen him before. Perhaps he realises a return to the Premier League may not be as easy as first anticipated.

5) (wild card): Brentford. Starting to pick up some wins - including two outstanding away victories at Wolves (0-2) and Charlton (0-3). Will enjoy their low-key status with most expecting late runs from Wolves, Ipswich, Reading etc...

Over to you...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
5) (wild card): Brentford. Starting to pick up some wins - including two outstanding away victories at Wolves (0-2) and Charlton (0-3). Will enjoy their low-key status with most expecting late runs from Wolves, Ipswich, Reading etc...

Can't have Brentford at all, Charlton are down the bottom of the table and Wolves are one the worst teams we've played this season.

Brentford's record against the teams in the bottom third:

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 10.17.03.png

And against the top third:

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 10.18.18.png

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Can't have Brentford at all, Charlton are down the bottom of the table and Wolves are one the worst teams we've played this season.

Brentford's record against the teams in the bottom third:

View attachment 70150

And against the top third:

View attachment 70151

Oh blimey, not seen that statistic before. Thought they looked a tidy team in the win over QPR, though in hindsight, the latter looked utterly abysmal that day, hence the sacking that followed....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Derby and Boro should piss this division. Only really Clement's slow start while he got used to the Championship and Boro's failings in odd games you'd expect them to win that have kept them below us. Hull scare me, it was quite fortunate we played them in the tribute game and came out from the ceremony on fire. They are my top three.

We look solid as do Burnley. Either of us could get to the playoff final but I don't see us staying top 2 unless we add some real depth in January and Harper starts to come through.

Wildcard isn't really a wildcard as it's Reading. So long as Blackman and Vydra stay healthy they'll score plenty.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Birmingham are 20/1 for promotion...?

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Pretty much agree with you on the top four but my wildcard was Birmingham at the beginning of the season. In fact they have drifted away a bit and probably won't have the depth in squad to mount a serious challenge, I hope I don't regret those words. :eek: In response to Burnley, again i agree but I think Vokes missing throws a real spanner in the works for them. Anyway a draw was an excellent result and as a test to "see where we actually are" we came through the stronger side over 90 minutes (I think) :bowdown:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My top four will be Hull Derby us and Middlesbro unfortunately in that order however a signing or two and a couple of good results before Christmas could put a different light on it. Burnley and Reading or Ipswich tk make up the play off teams.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Get Calleri and win the league.

Hull to finish 2nd.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Oh blimey, not seen that statistic before. Thought they looked a tidy team in the win over QPR, though in hindsight, the latter looked utterly abysmal that day, hence the sacking that followed....

Not sure QPR are anything great - especially if they sell Austin.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Derby and Boro should piss this division. Only really Clement's slow start while he got used to the Championship and Boro's failings in odd games you'd expect them to win that have kept them below us. Hull scare me, it was quite fortunate we played them in the tribute game and came out from the ceremony on fire. They are my top three.

We look solid as do Burnley. Either of us could get to the playoff final but I don't see us staying top 2 unless we add some real depth in January and Harper starts to come through.

We are going to add some real depth in January and Harper will be ' the new Texeira ' ( but with more consistency ).......If Bloom smells a chance of promotion, then rest assured we will spend some serious money in the next window. The strategy is in place. Get ourselves into a challenging position, with no loanees and then have a real push in the final third of the season. Expect at least one expensive, pedigree loanee.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

We are going to add some real depth in January and Harper will be ' the new Texeira ' ( but with more consistency ).......If Bloom smells a chance of promotion, then rest assured we will spend some serious money in the next window. The strategy is in place. Get ourselves into a challenging position, with no loanees and then have a real push in the final third of the season. Expect at least one expensive, pedigree loanee.

Like the sound of that. In reality I'd imagine fans at all our rival clubs will be saying the same. It's a balancing act because a marquee signing could undermine the confidence of say Hemed or Baldock. And though neither could be described as prolific, they've helped us in their own way to a top two spot.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Us to win at home to Brum is vital. The rest we cant do anything about and it will even itself out if Derby win and then we beat them. A draw would be ideal for us but us winning is the most important.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Big game for Derby next best result would be a draw and we win at home.

Absolutely. Albion matches aside, it's the most fascinating fixture this season to date. I see Hull and Derby as the two strongest squads in the division. Four red cards in a 0-0 draw would be rather smashing.....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
When you read this sort of stuff you have a realisation that we should be behind all these clubs.

Still 11 v 11 Though and they are not world beaters.

Well in the mix.

Hull look decent but all these sides will hit bad form . Boro are struggling at the moment with goals . I expect them to kick on again at some point. Hull v Derby we really need a draw.

Hoping we can kick on a bit and turn the screw . 6 points next 2 should do that

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Got to agree that Derby and Boro should be nailed on. We are pretty certain for a playoff place judging by our form to date.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Wildcard isn't really a wildcard as it's Reading. So long as Blackman and Vydra stay healthy they'll score plenty.

I agree. Top 3 from Derby, Boro, Hull. I expect Derby to be champions. So far so predictable. We are the wild card & If we keep Kayal and Stephens fit, invest up front and continue to build confidence we have a real chance. The weight of expectation on the others is considerably bigger.

el punal

So here we are, six games from the half-way split. It's surely reasonable to claim Albion are now 'promotion contenders' even if, like anyone else, we are not immune from a spectacular late season implosion.
There's a clear 'big boys club' forming near the top, with Albion, Hull, Boro, Derby and Burnley looking to bully the chasing pack. A win for Birmingham on Saturday (gulp) and that could change - and to reiterate, there are at least five other clubs who will fancy a late season rally and that final promotion slot.

But let's concentrate on the 'fab five', to include one wild card. At this stage, in order, who do you see as Albion's biggest threat for automatic promotion? And briefly explain why...

Here are mine:

1) Derby. Clement seems to have found his feet. They don't rely on one goal-scoring superstar, with Martin, Weimann, Ince and Bent all capable in this department. They are seasoned promotion candidates and have a system which works home and away. Good all-rounders with very few weaknesses.

2) Hull. Are looking ominous. Brushed aside Ipswich and Boro (both 3-0) in recent matches and have heaps of experience in the likes of Snodgrass, Livermore, Huddlestone etc. Hernandez looks a real handful. Bruce is a wily old fox and will make sure Hull keep up the pace.

3) Boro. Leadbitter, Clayton and Downing are all top quality at this level and man for man, they probably have the best squad in the division. However, I have concerns about Karanka's direction when things don't always work out. He looks a misery guts, prone to a few icy sulks.

4) Burnley. Robust and well balanced, they are a match for anyone. But what happens if Gray gets injured or loses form? A bit underwhelmed by their performance against the Albion. Dyche also looks more flustered than I've seen him before. Perhaps he realises a return to the Premier League may not be as easy as first anticipated.

Over to you...

Good post! Pretty much agree with everything apart from Brentford. I do have a feeling that Ipswich or Reading could enter the frame at some point.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Still cant see us as top 2 material which is craxy considering unbeaten.

I've previously told myself we are if -

We beat Ipswich A
beat Hull H
Avoid defeat at Reading
and then Wednesday
and then Burnley

Now I'm thinking if we can get half way through / Xmas top 2 then will consider we are.

Teams are scared of us now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here