Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley Thoughts on today

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Someone linked this thread in the Greer one but thought some of the quotes were deserved of their own thread:

Brighton were better all round than I'd expected.
A well drilled, well organised side with no weak links.
Not much spectacular going on but that's a winning formula for the Championship level.

And what turned Zamora from the 'Can't run, can't jump, can't be arsed' lump he was at QPR into what he was today? Same manager as well, strange

What struck me about Brighton was that they didn't just play lots of neat passes in defence/midfield like loads of teams seem to do ( but actually never really show any penetration). Brighton were far more concerned with end product than most teams (rather like ourselves) which was refreshing to see. Zamora was really good and I was glad he tired and went off. However, without ever hitting the "heights" we still made 2/3 great chances to win it in the second half and we may come to rue that, despite SD putting a positive spin on it all.

Maybe puts some of the silly negative comments from fans on here into perspective?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Someone linked this thread in the Greer one but thought some of the quotes were deserved of their own thread:

Brighton were better all round than I'd expected.
A well drilled, well organised side with no weak links.
Not much spectacular going on but that's a winning formula for the Championship level.

And what turned Zamora from the 'Can't run, can't jump, can't be arsed' lump he was at QPR into what he was today? Same manager as well, strange

What struck me about Brighton was that they didn't just play lots of neat passes in defence/midfield like loads of teams seem to do ( but actually never really show any penetration). Brighton were far more concerned with end product than most teams (rather like ourselves) which was refreshing to see. Zamora was really good and I was glad he tired and went off. However, without ever hitting the "heights" we still made 2/3 great chances to win it in the second half and we may come to rue that, despite SD putting a positive spin on it all.

Maybe puts some of the silly negative comments from fans on here into perspective?

would the end product be passing it around the back line for a few minutes then passing back to stockdale so he can welly it into touch , all round good result for us and not an overly bad performance but our lack of attacking intent nearly bit us in the arse at the end when they missed two great chances ( long + arfield).........i think the way we played , if either team deserved to win it was us but we nearly blew it at the end......defence was good but dunk needs to keep his arms down.......!!!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Granted while there is still a tendency to over elaborate with the passing across the back line, I do feel we turn defence into attack a lot quicker than we have over the past couple of seasons. We still don't have the speed of attack like Derby do/did (think Amex play off semi) but believe things are lot better than they were!

Been said a million times here, but all we are short of is a man you can guarantee goals from - some say Hemed has been unlucky of late, but it was the late great Lee Trevino who once said "the more I practise the luckier I get", so maybe Hemed needs to practise some more!!!

The comments on the Burnley forum were largely positive concerning us - maybe it will give some here the impression we are not as bad as some seem to believe! We had nearly 60% of the possession and had 3 attempts at goal more than the home side Burnley, yet people still say we aren't attacking enough! Only Reading and Forest have had more shots than us this season - so maybe it's not the attacking intent and more the quality of finishing that should be addressed.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Granted while there is still a tendency to over elaborate with the passing across the back line, I do feel we turn defence into attack a lot quicker than we have over the past couple of seasons. We still don't have the speed of attack like Derby do/did (think Amex play off semi) but believe things are lot better than they were!

Been said a million times here, but all we are short of is a man you can guarantee goals from - some say Hemed has been unlucky of late, but it was the late great Lee Trevino who once said "the more I practise the luckier I get", so maybe Hemed needs to practise some more!!!

The comments on the Burnley forum were largely positive concerning us - maybe it will give some here the impression we are not as bad as some seem to believe! We had nearly 60% of the possession and had 3 attempts at goal more than the home side Burnley, yet people still say we aren't attacking enough! Only Reading and Forest have had more shots than us this season - so maybe it's not the attacking intent and more the quality of finishing that should be addressed.

Gary Player not Lee Trevino [emoji3]

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Gary Player not Lee Trevino [emoji3]
Doh! Got my great golfers muddled - the basic sentiment is still there though, that sometimes it is not just a case of saying someone is unlucky! Hemed scuffed his shot into the ground, granted the keeper made a good save, but should he not have had a much cleaner striker from the position he was in? They are the sort of chances that could be left ruing if missed too frequently!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here