Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lords prayer

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Im suprised this hasn't been mentioned on here tonight, but the Cinemas throughout the country have banned an advert by the C.OF.E, with a load of people saying the Lords prayer.
It was passed by the film certification board as suitable, but the Cinema operaters said that it may offend other faiths and non-believers. As an atheist myself, I have absolutely no complaints about anyone practising their religion, and this would not worry me one iota, it was to be shown at Christmas time, before the new Star Wars film,as an advert. I hope the cinema owners will now take an equally strong stance against any Christmas ad by the big retailers.

But, we all know they won't, you can smell the hypocrisy

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Christ. Mass. It gives you a clue in the name.
They had the President of the Secular Society on radio 5tonight, saying basically it was right to ban it, but, quite honestly, I'm secure enough in my own non-belive I don't care if they show it, it won't change my mind about the God thing.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Christ. Mass. It gives you a clue in the name.
They had the President of the Secular Society on radio 5tonight, saying basically it was right to ban it, but, quite honestly, I'm secure enough in my own non-belive I don't care if they show it, it won't change my mind about the God thing.

Personally I dont care if its called Christ ...mass or midwinter festival or some other name.....its not a religious holiday anymore.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Keep the country secular I say.

But it's not ,is it. Every national event from Royal Jubilees, to Remembrance Day, the religious lot get involved hundreds of religious schools of all faith paid for with taxes across the country, morning prayers at the start of every session in Parliament, Bishops all have a seat in the H of Lords

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The cinema operators have a no religious or political advertising policy which is probably sensible considering the times we live in.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Im suprised this hasn't been mentioned on here tonight, but the Cinemas throughout the country have banned an advert by the C.OF.E, with a load of people saying the Lords prayer.
It was passed by the film certification board as suitable, but the Cinema operaters said that it may offend other faiths and non-believers. As an atheist myself, I have absolutely no complaints about anyone practising their religion, and this would not worry me one iota, it was to be shown at Christmas time, before the new Star Wars film,as an advert. I hope the cinema owners will now take an equally strong stance against any Christmas ad by the big retailers.

But, we all know they won't, you can smell the hypocrisy

Sad, but it's the way of the world. Allow the Lord's Prayer up there, and some other lot will have us sitting through verses of the Qoran (in the original language, which will mean it will mean f*ck all to most of us, as well as being a pain in the arse, and boring) before you can say ISIS.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Christmas is a capitalist holiday, not a Christian one anymore.

Absolutely correct. People have realised that religion is a farce and now just want to have a good time. Logic prevails.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Keep cinemas secular. People go there to be entertained, not to be preached at.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
The cinema company were concerned that one religious ad would lead to others, and they would end up with Scientology loonies, or worse, or end up in court for saying no to them.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
Personally I dont care if its called Christ ...mass or midwinter festival or some other name.....its not a religious holiday anymore.

Maybe not for you and some other people it isn't. For plenty of other people it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here