Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing FC

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Found myself at a loose end yesterday, and whilst I'm not really one for non-league day or really watching non league football I thought I'd go check out Worthing having not been for a number of years.

£8 to get in, refurbished refreshment hut and clubhouse makes it very welcoming. Good prices, £2.80-£4 a burger, chips and chilli, hot dogs with tea and coffee about £1 seemed to be keeping every warm. Very friendly service too.

Worthing looked a young side, quite small side with Gary Elphick player-manager due to absentees. Thought he looked a class act at that level. Football was very free flowing and quick, and they were 4-0 up by about 25mins against a Whyteleaf team who apparently in good form.

Game settled down in the second half and finished 5-1 Worthing but was a pleasant afternoon out.

Tommy Elphick and Adam Hinshelwood (in full Albion gear. Hat, coat, tracksuit bottoms) watched on from the sidelines too.

Might try and back a couple of games a season as was pleasantly surprised by the quality and how nice It was to watch football without any hassle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Whyteleafe keeper is an Albion loanee I think?

I've just checked and you are right ! Concerning that he is deep in Palace country, and also his first half performance meant he was responsible for at least 2 of the goals which were very soft.

Forgot to say Worthings big lad up front got the assist on 4 of the goals. Bit of a temper on him though

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Found myself at a loose end yesterday, and whilst I'm not really one for non-league day or really watching non league football I thought I'd go check out Worthing having not been for a number of years.

£8 to get in, refurbished refreshment hut and clubhouse makes it very welcoming. Good prices, £2.80-£4 a burger, chips and chilli, hot dogs with tea and coffee about £1 seemed to be keeping every warm. Very friendly service too.

Worthing looked a young side, quite small side with Gary Elphick player-manager due to absentees. Thought he looked a class act at that level. Football was very free flowing and quick, and they were 4-0 up by about 25mins against a Whyteleaf team who apparently in good form.

Game settled down in the second half and finished 5-1 Worthing but was a pleasant afternoon out.

Tommy Elphick and Adam Hinshelwood (in full Albion gear. Hat, coat, tracksuit bottoms) watched on from the sidelines too.

Might try and back a couple of games a season as was pleasantly surprised by the quality and how nice It was to watch football without any hassle.

The Rebels are the sleeping non-league giants of the south coast. I used to go way back in the 1960s when they were in the Athenian League and (this might be rose-coloured spectacles) used to pack 'em in at Woodside Road. Would love to see them climb back up the ladder.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I watched them in the Corinithian League late 40s esrly 50s when BHA were away. Good old Reg Bowles, Jim Punter and 2 Bloom brothers. When Jim Lelliott an old school pal was chairman he offered me the job as manager but I had to say no thanks due to work commitments.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How did the game play on the artificial pitch?

Was about to ask the same.

I was lucky enough to meet George Dowell, the young man who owns Worthing now and has put a lot of money into the club which has effectively saved it.

Amazing story - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32516000 - and I hope it goes well for them.

I feel annoyed at myself for not looking to see if they were at home yesterday - I'd have gone along too.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
I took my 11 year old son to the game, who thoroughly enjoyed it. Although he did get a ball full in the face in the warm up!

For the two of us it was £8 entry and tea coffee etc very reasonably priced.

Worthing were far too good for Whyteleafe, they looked a lot younger team and moved the ball a lot quicker. Elphick stood out as did Sparks. Whyteleafe had Rosco Desane playing (ex palace, Wimbledon) but he didn't get a sniff but showed his class with his control etc.

Pitch looked nice to play on and didn't seem to affect the game, seemed no different to grass.

Will be going back when the Albion are away or on international break.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How did the game play on the artificial pitch?

Yeah largely looks fine and same as grass. I did think a few times the ball looked to move differently but probably just because I was a lot closer to the pitch than normal

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I feel annoyed at myself for not looking to see if they were at home yesterday - I'd have gone along too.

You definitely should try. Should be good for the kids too, especially as they get on the pitch after!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I watched them in the Corinithian League late 40s esrly 50s when BHA were away. Good old Reg Bowles, Jim Punter and 2 Bloom brothers. When Jim Lelliott an old school pal was chairman he offered me the job as manager but I had to say no thanks due to work commitments.

Blimey: you certainly trumped my 'Athenian League 1960s' ace! My era was Phil Tidy, Brian Cudmore, Mick Streeter and club captain Wilf Hugill (who to my enormous pride went out with my older sister!). You don't get many 'Wilfs' playing these days.....................

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Blimey: you certainly trumped my 'Athenian League 1960s' ace! My era was Phil Tidy, Brian Cudmore, Mick Streeter and club captain Wilf Hugill (who to my enormous pride went out with my older sister!). You don't get many 'Wilfs' playing these days.....................

That was a good team. I wish we had a goal scorer like Mick Streeter who surprisigly didnt go into the pro game not sure if it was by choice or didnt get the opportunity. I remember in the 50s Worthing signed a striker Alan Arnell and right back Fred Perry from Chichester who both were transferred to Liverpool.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
On a similar note I took advantage of the free saturday and went to watch Whitehawk. Very entertaining it was too despite the result. The Ultras were superb and backed the team for the full 90 minutes making an incessant racket especially in the Din End in the second half.

As for the team, you can see they like to play decent football but on saturday lacked the strength to retain any meaningful possession. The pitch must be a nightmare to play on regularly as it undulates all over the place and has a ridiculous slope.

A nice clubhouse with a decent bar completed the experience and I can recommend Whitehawk as a place to go on Albion free matchdays.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
After so many years of mismanagement off the field, its good to see Worthing FC getting back on a better footing thanks to George Dowell. Also worth a mention is the achievement of the youth team who have reached the Third Round of the FA Youth Cup and have a home tie against Middlesbrough.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I took my 11 year old son to the game, who thoroughly enjoyed it. Although he did get a ball full in the face in the warm up!

For the two of us it was £8 entry and tea coffee etc very reasonably priced.

Worthing were far too good for Whyteleafe, they looked a lot younger team and moved the ball a lot quicker. Elphick stood out as did Sparks. Whyteleafe had Rosco Desane playing (ex palace, Wimbledon) but he didn't get a sniff but showed his class with his control etc.

Pitch looked nice to play on and didn't seem to affect the game, seemed no different to grass.

Will be going back when the Albion are away or on international break.
Poor old Roscoe a career blighted by injury for a player who should of gone a lot higher.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Relevance ?

mcbigfella

Dec 20, 2013
I am a regular at Worthing FC and have been for over 20 years. It's great to have some positive feedback on the club and we are finally on the up again. I would like to point out that the club runs a discount scheme for BHA season ticket holders - It's only £5 entry and Under 12's are free. So if Brighton are away, please come down and check out the club. I think that we must have the best club house in non league football, following it's recent refurbishment. It's also a great place to watch live football matches on SKY/BT sport with a friendly atmosphere and cheap bar prices (noticeably cheaper than the pub) 1664 = £3.60/pint. I will try and upload some pics of the bar. It's a real community club and it would be nice to see some Albion fans aroundthe place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here