Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family football journey continues

The purpose of this thread is to seek opinions as to what age you think it's appropriate to let a kid go to an away game alone.

But first. As a supporter since the cup final, I had great times watching the Barry Lloyd era but admit to being a bad fan as I didn't go to another game after the Wembley play off final for many years

Until...... Some geezer called Liam Dickenson made an appearance at my lads school and gave his class of 9 year olds a bunch of free tickets. A week later we watched what I think wss the last game before Gus was appointed. It was against Hartlepool and there were a few goals (including Dickinson) but can't remember the score

And we were hooked. We got the hola Gus t shirt by braving a cold winters evening in a cup final replay against Wycombe and a few days later our first amazing away game together at Southampton.

From the following year until now we have 4 season tickets and attend the majority of away games. He has been a mascot, we do our doh on shirts and everything Albion, and I love that.

But about a month ago he questioned why I didn't want to travel to Burnley. After realising the fact that it was in tv was not going to pacify him, I simpy said if you, wanna go then sort it yourself.

Not expecting to be taken literally he rounded up a couple of mates, booked the coach and this morning we dropped them to Wadurs in Shoreham to meet said coach at 0430.

I'm happy his trip is on an organised coach but part of me thinks 15 is too young to travel without an adult to an away game.

At least it was a local one!

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The first away game I can remember doing on my own, well with a mate rather than my Dad, was Liverpool away in the 90/91 Fa Cup. It was via one of the club coaches and I was 15 at the time as well. Only you can judge if he's mature enough to travel to the game alone (although its a bit late to stop him now). I was working part time, after school and at weekends, paid for all of it myself out of my meagre wages. An organised coach normally drops you pretty close to the ground and picks straight up after the match so not much time for him to get into mischief if he's sensible.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You don't remember his school?

Fifteen is the universally accepted age for starting to go to away games on your own. Leave him to it! I was delighted when I didn't have to go to quite so many away games (I know, bad fan...) when my son reached that golden age.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
As long as he is with mates then good, you can always pick them up form Glasgow when they get on the wrong train...........

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just checked the dates and I was 14 when me and a mate went up to West Brom on the train. 15 is fine, especially on the supporters coach. He'll have a great time.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
On the supporters coach. So a two arrives two hours before KO and everyone jumps out and straight into the nearest pub. He'll be fine but wont remember the game. Just pick the games you think may be a little heated and go with him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He is in effect under mild supervision going by coach so he will be fine and fair play to him for making the effort

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Started at about fifteen myself, but that was in the dak days of the mid seventies. Bar a couple of scrapes (Southend and Pompey) I lived to tell the tale, a lot less worrying now I would have thought.

I hope he enjoys it and we get the win

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
We took our son to his first away game when he was 4 yrs old. He is now 8! He has been to Charlton Watford Leeds Liverpool Ipswich Birmingham Reading. We don't go away as so expensive.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
15 is the same age I was when I started going to games.

Living miles away from Brighton and my Dad being abroad the only option was to go alone. My mum finally let me and me and a mate would do the hour or 2 travel to Withdean. I've been hooked since and travelled across the country (and Wales for Cardiff) on my own or with friends.

Always will have memories of that first game having a beer on the train and the ticket inspector looking at us and saying we were lying about our age either to him or the off license. We realise it would be a lot cheaper just to not have the beer. However he was great let us off because we were supporting Albion, he also said in the future just to go to Burger King, get a couple of their large cups and poor the beer into them. Problem solved for he next couple of years of football supporting.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I think it's absolutely superb that he wants to go in the first place. Not many 15 year old would want to get up that early on a Sunday!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Was definitely going at 15 with a bunch of mates, MK Dons away was possibly the first. We'd all been going for years anyway, so had our heads screwed on when it came to trains etc. Although explaining why we had U16 train tickets, and a crate of beers was a bit more complicated.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The coach is a godsend if your relatives don't go to away games and the people running them should be knighted, I don't know how many nerds of my generation would have got the affliction for life without them. That said, I remember feeling like I was going to crack up with boredom on the bus back from a game at Hartlepool at about 16, and going by train from then on. The only risk is getting too battered.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
It's a lot less dangerous going to away games than in the 70's/early 80's and on a club coach is no problem for someone aged 15. I started away games at 14 going on the Seagull Special

Same as this. The Seagull special was only a couple of quid but I have no memory of how me and my mates got to Brighton station from a village in West Sussex for 6am for the likes of Cardiff or Burnley! Thumbed it I guess.
Used to get King of the road coach from Worthing sea front for London games. £1.50 but pretty anti social on the way back with piss filled cans rolling around the floor.

WATFORD zero

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 10, 2003
I went to my first away match at 15. Four of us to Selhurst in a mate's car - well he said it was his car :whistle:

Sorry, i seem to have gone a bit Pretty Pink Fairy ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here