Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Greer still good enough ?

Cowla005

Nov 18, 2015
No one is doubtful that's he's been brilliant for the club over the last few years. He's been so reliable throughout the years but obviously as he's got older he's got slower and less aware , that's where this question comes from. Is he still good enough to start for us and for the premier league next season (hopefully)?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For now? Yes, he absolutely is.

For the Prem? Back up at best, but who cares?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've spent all season adamant he'll get 'done for pace' the moment someone gets at him.
I've spent all season being wrong, but I'm not going to let that change my opinion :lol:

Dunk and Uwe don't quite fit together, I'm guessing that's down to Uwe shifting to the right, but if that can be overcome and Dunk stops having his 'moments' that'll be the partnership which would maintain our league position.

As usual the Albion are incredibly strong in that position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you not seen the games since he was injured?
Yeah those 3 goals conceded in 5 and a half games have been brutal.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No one is doubtful that's he's been brilliant for the club over the last few years. He's been so reliable throughout the years but obviously as he's got older he's got slower and less aware , that's where this question comes from. Is he still good enough to start for us and for the premier league next season (hopefully)?

It's a massive YES from me, to my mind he is our most important player, the glue that holds everything together.

Next season, who knows? We are still a fair way from the Premier League!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
There is no doubt that our defence looks way more solid when he's organising it.

Dunk is technically the best of our current 3 options (I'm excluding Goldson as I've not seen him yet) but his concentration and decision-making still have some way to go. Uwe is our new (German) El-Abd - a blood and guts, old fashioned type of centre half with great value to the team, but he's not exactly refined and doesn't yet have the experience of the English game. Both look better alongside Greer. He may be frustrating at times, and he's got the acceleration and turning circle of a ferry these days - but he's our leader and first name on the team sheet for me.

That said, if we go up, he'll be gone.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Absolutely yes and thoroughly worth two threads! Keeps Dunk honest and/or let's Uwe play on his proper side.
Needs a pacy player alongside him these days but has the best defensive brain and organisational ability in the squad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With talk on another thread of us signing Simone Benedetti another CB I wonder if the club gave Dunk an assurance that they would sell him in the January window to get him to sign a new contract and thus up his transfer value.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd suggest he's nowhere near match fit enough to start at Burnley

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
With talk on another thread of us signing Simone Benedetti another CB I wonder if the club gave Dunk an assurance that they would sell him in the January window to get him to sign a new contract and thus up his transfer value.

You do come up with some great conspiracy theories.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
At the moment he's worth four Lewis Dunks, who is playing like he's got a f*ck up in him, virtually every game!

You sound surprised, even when he is on the top of his game he manages at least one of those a game and always has done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here