Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorcycle Insurance for 20 yo

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Quick question to the NSC great and good, I'm buying my son a new motorcycle 125cc for his birthday, he has passed his CBT but obviously needs insurance, this will be his first bike, how much do you think his premium will be?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Quick question to the NSC great and good, I'm buying my son a new motorcycle 125cc for his birthday, he has passed his CBT but obviously needs insurance, this will be his first bike, how much do you think his premium will be?

Where's the bike going to be stored at night and does the bike have an alarm/immobilizer system?
Also, value and make/model make a fair difference. A 2005 Yamaha YBR premium will likely be half the price of a 2015 KTM RC125.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm pretty sure that I paid about £450 for TPFF when my son was 19, however this was on a 2nd hand bike worth around £900 and garaged overnight.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Where's the bike going to be stored at night and does the bike have an alarm/immobilizer system?
Also, value and make/model make a fair difference. A 2005 Yamaha YBR premium will likely be half the price of a 2015 KTM RC125.

Parked off road, it's a Cinnus 125 valued at £1100 Anita new

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm pretty sure that I paid about £450 for TPFF when my son was 19, however this was on a 2nd hand bike worth around £900 and garaged overnight.

Cheers, the difficulty I have as its new is I don't have a reg yet so I'm finding hard to get an online quote

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Don't know the rules these days but if you can invest the money to move out of the 125 bracket i'd seriously think about that; bikes are inflaited in price due to cornered market and you won't be able to do any serious distance on a 125. Not exactly what you were asking for but thats my experience.

Ps I'd recommend Bennetts insurance

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Jump on one of the comparison sites and have a nose.

In my experience, premiums can vary a lot from one insurer to another and from one year to another even with the same insurer. I suspect it's because motorcycle insurance is such a niche market, and also higher risk. You've got fewer premiums over which to spread the cost of claims, and a higher likelihood of claims happening. All that results in the premiums being subject to a lot more fluctuation than you tend to see for car insurance, especially at the zero-no-claims end of the market that you're looking at.

Also - don't just look at the overall premium. Scour the full offer: what do they include, what don't they include, and what do any add-ons cost. For example, one insurer might look cheaper with their headline quote, but once you start paying for any extras you might want (like cover for helmet+boots+etc), it could end up significantly more expensive than another quote from an insurer that includes some of the extras up front.

I've chopped and changed my bike insurer over the last few years, as I'm having to seek out the current best offer as a result of losing my no-claims and having a theft claim on my record. You'd be stunned at the amount of variance (when I got my current bike new from dealer, one insurer thought it would be funny to quote me £27k per year to cover an £8k value bike...) - I have had massive differences each year. I'm currently with an insurer I wouldn't even contemplate the year before, and left the previous year's insurer because their renewal quote went through the roof despite the addition of 1 year no claims.

As others have noted, where you park the bike can have a big influence. As can additional security devices, although for a bike of that value it's probably not worth going for any of the options that would stay with the bike (things like datatag). So I'd focus on getting the best chain/lock you can justify, as that can then be used if/when he progresses onto a bigger bike later.

I'm currently with Devitt, and previously used Bikesure and Hastings. Bikesure were who I was with when I made my claim, and the whole claim process was pretty smooth (although they did try to "forget" to include the additional payout for fitted extras). From memory, all three are re-sellers so the premiums are definitely subject to fluctuation. You might have some luck with Bennett's, but so far I've found them on the pricey side every time I've looked.

(On an unrelated note it annoys me immensely that my 10 years worth of no claim, no ticket riding in Australia has exactly zero effect on my UK premiums ... and if I ever go back to Aus, my current no ticket, 1 theft claim record in the UK won't be valid either. High time the insurance industry sorted out some way of importing/exporting driving records.)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Cheers, the difficulty I have as its new is I don't have a reg yet so I'm finding hard to get an online quote

That site that likes meerkats can be configured to give quotes without a reg number. It's a little more fiddly, but can be done.

Also, as is being alluded to in other posts: being able to claim it will be parked in a garage can make a massive difference. If you're in a high-theft area especially (which, unfortunately, Brighton and surrounds are likely to be considered). There was a spate of thefts a few years back in the Brighton area (which included mine, from Five Ways area) carried out by a well organised gang (they were lifting bikes into the back of a van). The effect of that is probably still resulting in inflated premiums in the area, unless you can garage. I know it was enough of an effect for me that I waited until I moved out to Uckfield before replacing.

theboybilly

Be realistic when getting a quote. Even with daily use 4 -5k miles is a lot in a year on a 125cc bike unless you have a commute of a decent distance. Our weather curtails a fair chunk of riding opportunities. Get a decent padlock and chain with a ground anchor if possible ( ask around for one's insurers recommend) Get a cover to keep the bike away from prying eyes. Increase your excess a little if you're confident about how the bike is left overnight. Park up sensibly ( amongst other, more expensive bikes with less security) and you should be okay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here