Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mitchell Johnson

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
4th ranked Australian Test wicket taker retires at the end of play today at the WACA. Well played, mate. Gave us plenty of fun and fear.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Never had a problem with him, always played the pantomine villian well and took the stick he got from the Barmy Army in good spirit and on his day a fantastic, unplayable bowler.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sad to see him go. At his peak he was one of those bowlers like Hall, Holding, Thomson and Donald that could terrify you from a distance.

He actually seems like a really nice bloke too - that makes him stand out even more in an Australian team

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Never had a problem with him, always played the pantomine villian well and took the stick he got from the Barmy Army in good spirit and on his day a fantastic, unplayable bowler.

Was both on my day at Edgbaston this year. Started out day 2 with a ferocious spell, getting two quick wickets with short balls. Then, in the afternoon, he was sent to field by the Hollies stand which was literally in full flow. Got merciless stick and spent a much less successful spell bowling to the left and bowling to the right :lol:

Did it all with a smile on his face though. Test cricket needs more like him.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Was both on my day at Edgbaston this year. Started out day 2 with a ferocious spell, getting two quick wickets with short balls. Then, in the afternoon, he was sent to field by the Hollies stand which was literally in full flow. Got merciless stick and spent a much less successful spell bowling to the left and bowling to the right :lol:

I must have been sat near you! He was absolutely superb that day.

He is a true great in terms of how well he can bowl and also in how well he interacts with the crowd

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Those two short, brutish deliveries dismissing Bairstow and Stokes early on Day 2 were brilliant. Real intent. As you say he then went off the boil as your Stand became more and more steamed. Broad and Moheen steadied the ship and added 87 followed by an Aussie 2nd innings collapse on Day 2. What a fun day out.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Showed great mental strength to come back after his form and head had gone.

Despite the fact that it was England he was destroying you couldn't help but enjoy watching him bowl when he was on fire. And of course watching him bowl when he was rubbish and get monumental amounts of stick was even more enjoyable.

Top bloke, well played.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Mitchell Johnson was a thorn in our side on many occasions, mainly down under and less so over here, but you have to admire what a great bowler he was. I think in the last few years Steyn and Anderson have been the best two bowlers in the world with their incredible technical ability and consistency. But I think Johnson and to a lesser extent Broad are capable of having scary spells of bowling that the previous two can't achieve. When Johnson was in THAT zone and there would be a buzz around the ground, it wasn't just that you knew he was going to take a wicket, you feared he might bowl everyone out in a handful of overs. If you think in the last year they've lost Harris and now Johnson, there are some big Aussie shoes to fill in their bowling line up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My initial reaction to this news was one of relief, I'm pleased that such a threatening bowler will not be making another Ashes appearance.

I think the word 'great' can be used here - I've got a lot of time for him. The bloke was lighting fast, scored handy runs down the order, played with a smile on his face and took stick from the Barmy Army with good grace.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They had best hope that Pat Cummins can actually stay fit.

Otherwise there might be a bit of a hole in their attack. They seem to have given up with Pattinson at the moment.

I wouldn't be too cocksure about it. They've got some decent, speedy bowlers and a top class spinners. Next Ashes series, however, Anderson will also be 34 and while Broad's younger, he's had injury problems of his own. Australia also have a pretty settled batting line-up - if Burns comes off.

I don't think Aussies will feel they're the underdogs for the next Ashes, Johnson or no Johnson

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't be too cocksure about it. They've got some decent, speedy bowlers and a top class spinners. Next Ashes series, however, Anderson will also be 34 and while Broad's younger, he's had injury problems of his own. Australia also have a pretty settled batting line-up - if Burns comes off.

I don't think Aussies will feel they're the underdogs for the next Ashes, Johnson or no Johnson

Lets see with Burns and Khawaja whether they are up to it when they play on pitches that offer the bowler a bit.

That pitch at the WACA was the least WACA wicket ever.

Fast bowler wise it was accepted they had a few coming through, there have just been some injury issues.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
A couple of series back, I would have Siddle the obvious pick to replace (with Starc taking over the strike bowler role), but for whatever reason he seem to be completely out of favour with the selectors. Keeps getting picked as 12th, then overlooked when a spot opens up.

Cummins is injured and looks set to be one of those guys who could've but won't. Pattinson probably comes back into the reckoning, and I suspect Mitch Marsh could be facing a few anxious days awaiting the announcement of the squad for Adelaide.

If Burns doesn't work out, there's Bancroft waiting in the wings. He's already shown he can bat on the sub-continent, and has only missed out for the current series for being a year short of Shield experience. Reports I'm seeing suggest they're more likely to go for Bailey or Maxwell in the middle order to replace Khawaja, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try out Bancroft at 3 just to give him some exposure to top level cricket.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lets see with Burns and Khawaja whether they are up to it when they play on pitches that offer the bowler a bit.

Yes, Burns still needs to prove himself. Khawaja has been talked about for ages though and has finally come good.Think he's the genuine article. It's worrying for England that there are no fast bowlers coming through apart from Wood and Finn (both injury prone)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Yes, Burns still needs to prove himself. Khawaja has been talked about for ages though and has finally come good.Think he's the genuine article. It's worrying for England that there are no fast bowlers coming through apart from Wood and Finn (both injury prone)

Yeah, Khawaja failed to impress back in 2011 but I always felt that had more to do with the mind than ability. He came in billed as a relatively attacking player who would score runs at a good pace, but proceeded to go into his shell and score a bunch of 20's and 30's at a strike rate in the 40's. This time around he's looked like he's got his head in the right place and played his natural game instead of shelling, and it's given results.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

I think there are a potential English quicks out there, Jamie Overton and Tom Curran to start with.

Last season Rankin seemed to be getting it back together, but I suspect he has a more fragile confidence than Finn.

Footitt will be playing first division cricket next season, so that should give a clearer picture if he is up to it. As will Willey and Topley.

Mills was the other one that the selectors seemed to have earmarked, but as between him and Lewis Hatchett they can just about put together a working human body, that is unlikely to happen.

Now the spinner issue for England is a whole different matter....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think there are a potential English quicks out there, Jamie Overton and Tom Curran to start with.

Last season Rankin seemed to be getting it back together, but I suspect he has a more fragile confidence than Finn.

Footitt will be playing first division cricket next season, so that should give a clearer picture if he is up to it. As will Willey and Topley.

Some of them need to be playing though: surprised one of them didn't play against Pakistan to see what they're like. The Ashes is no series to be blooding newbies. It would be good to have a left-armer again (I think Rankin is Irish again) Curran is very much for the future though.

Never a mention of Rushworth - guess he's missed his chance now

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here