Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Writing a will (Advice please)

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Hi guys
My partner and I were thinking about writing a will but dont know where to start ...do we go to a solicitors and get stuck with a big bill or do we go it alone and get one of the kits online and risk it not being legit? (to give you a bit of back ground it's a "simple will" just the 2 of us kind of deal)
What experiences do any of you guys have?
Cheers

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It is pretty simple to do it yourself, providing it really is pretty simple. People often think it is until they start considering things like "what happens if we both die at the same time?", when it can start to get more complicated. Getting a solicitor to do it shouldn't be that expensive - many often special deals...

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
I have used Barclays Will writing service which is perfect for simple wills. Very quick and easy to fill out. Am sure there are others similar but this was more commoditised. Personally I think it would cost more to get something bespoke from a solicitor.

EDIT: Just seen that this service stopped at the end of last year, but am sure other similar are available

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Hi guys
My partner and I were thinking about writing a will but dont know where to start ...do we go to a solicitors and get stuck with a big bill or do we go it alone and get one of the kits online and risk it not being legit? (to give you a bit of back ground it's a "simple will" just the 2 of us kind of deal)
What experiences do any of you guys have?
Cheers

get down to Crosby Woods in Church Road

£120 - job done.

That's what I did.

It is pretty simple to do it yourself, providing it really is pretty simple. People often think it is until they start considering things like "what happens if we both die at the same time?", when it can start to get more complicated. Getting a solicitor to do it shouldn't be that expensive - many often special deals...

We had ours re-written a couple of years back, the solicitor charged £120+VAT.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Try Will Power in Worthing 0800 298 1166. £75.00 per will. Loads of great advice. The first two meetings are free and they come to your house . They point out pitfalls that you really have to be careful about.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Remeber that solicitors may well do a will cheaply but, when it comes to probate and distribution of assets thats when they clean up.

Jul 7, 2003
We did ours a few years ago as part of St Barnabas hospice campaign. They got a number of local solicitors to agree to write wills for a set fee which got paid directly to the hospice but without any pressure to add the hospice into the will.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here