Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York Tips Please

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Going to New York for four days so any tips or advice please. Think I read on here that there is an Albion bar but could not find it as I can't search. Also the New York Pass looks good as I think it includes Hop On and Off Buses. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I used the New York Pass- was good as it included almost all sights. We saw more than we would have done as we didn't have to weigh up admission fees as we went along.

Helicopter rides are ace and are good value at about $200 pp.

Best food I had was pizza at Keste on Bleecker Street.

Many recommend Staten Island ferry to see Liberty Island. We went to the actual trip to the Island as it was included in the New York Pass. Very enjoyable, there are Park Rangers on the Island who do free guided tours and explain the story of the statue. Most people miss these tours because they are too busy taking selfies.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I used the New York Pass- was good as it included almost all sights. We saw more than we would have done as we didn't have to weigh up admission fees as we went along.

Helicopter rides are ace and are good value at about $200 pp.

Best food I had was pizza at Keste on Bleecker Street.

Many recommend Staten Island ferry to see Liberty Island. We went to the actual trip to the Island as it was included in the New York Pass. Very enjoyable, there are Park Rangers on the Island who do free guided tours and explain the story of the statue. Most people miss these tours because they are too busy taking selfies.

All of this, NY pass great value and can include fasttrack at some attractions.

The High Line and The Ride were both very good.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Empire State at night.
Rockefeller Center during the day.
The Book of Mormon play on Broadway.
Walk across Brooklyn Bridge - decent Pizza place on the Brooklyn side.
See a Rangers game if you can.
Free Staten Island ferry from Battery Park, nice cruise past the Statue of Liberty, doesn't cost anything.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Frankie's Spuntino, ideally the Brooklyn location but West Village if you don't want to make the trek out. Cavatelli with Hot Sausage is the one.

MOMA really is a must do, gets busy so go early. Take in Rockefeller Center at same time as round the corner-ish.

If you're into your trainers/sneakers hit up Kith, pretty high end but some nice gear.

See whats on at Music Hall of Williamsburg (or any other Brooklyn venue really) while you out there and spend an evening in the area. Some decent bars (Lucky Dog is fun) and you can go to Fette Sau for BBQ. Also Smorgasboard on Sunday is pretty good for food and that plus has excellent views across to Manhatten, though may not be on in winter at that location.

Brooklyn Botanical Gardens are nice but again possibly best viewed in summer.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Don't think for a second that Central Park is a 25-minute jog around, as I did, as a plump person. I was gone for about an hour and a quarter and needed a nap when I returned.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tips? At least 15% if you don't want to be abused

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A decent day trip "on the water":
Start out at the TicToc Diner (8th & 34th) for breakfast of Vanilla Toast & pancakes then use your pass for a visit to USS Intrepid and the space shuttle.
Then get the water taxi next door (no need to pre-book despite what it says) and hop off at Battery Park and stroll up through the linear park to the 9/11 Memorial.
Back to Battery Park and hop back on the water taxi past the Statue of Liberty (not the best view though) to South Street Pier which has some great food places from diners to a la carte. If Manhatten by Sail is operating (they close for a couple of winter months) you can take an old fashioned sailing boat cruise before heading back to the water taxi and across to DUMBO to finish with a stroll back across Brooklyn Bridge with the most spectacular view of the city skyline.

If you can tear yourself away from the Big Apple for a whole day then fly up to Niagara for a boat ride through the falls. I think there's a discount ticket with your pass and your hotel concierge will organise it for you.

Edit: for a slightly more esoteric experience I once spent a couple of hours respite from torrential rain taking a free tour of the city library. Stunning architecture and some surprising historical tidbits.
Weekends there's also the Hells Kitchen Flea Markets for a great morning rummaging about

Last edited:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply. I shall print this all out before I go. Does anybody know about the Albion Bar?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Going to New York for four days so any tips or advice please. Think I read on here that there is an Albion bar but could not find it as I can't search. Also the New York Pass looks good as I think it includes Hop On and Off Buses.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Take passport to Bloomingdales and Macy's and go to their visitor centres. For this you will get 10% off vouchers for shopping.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
When we went we wanted to see the real americans, doing what americans do - so we pre-booked tickets to watch the Ricki Lake show being filmed! Entertaining, and a great social study. Not sure if she's still doing the shows, but plenty of replacements to choose from...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
In Grand Central Station have a go on the whispering corners. Went up the Rockefeller at night to get a good look at the Empire State in all its glory, I think it was lit in Giants colours at the time. Such a cool place, you'll enjoy it.
Sorry, I have no knowledge of an Albion bar?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply. I shall print this all out before I go. Does anybody know about the Albion Bar?

http://www.foleysny.com/

It's right by the Empire State building. One framed and signed albion shirt, and two other ones hanging from the ceiling. Great bar and make sure you tell the landlord Shaun you are an Albion fan

Enjoy NYC

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
http://www.foleysny.com/

It's right by the Empire State building. One framed and signed albion shirt, and two other ones hanging from the ceiling. Great bar and make sure you tell the landlord Shaun you are an Albion fan

Enjoy NYC
I went in there last February and the barman said the owner had passed away a few years ago and he also didn't know he was an Albion fan. I went in around 11pm and it was fairly quiet but there is a lot of memorabilia from many sports. If your nearby and fancy a beer, why not?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
There was a very informative thread on here a couple of years ago with loads of good suggestions. Should still be about if you do a quick search.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Word of advice: keep your traveller's cheques in a bum-bag.
Word of warning: out there they call them fanny packs. 'Cause fanny means your arse over there... not your minge.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I went in there last February and the barman said the owner had passed away a few years ago and he also didn't know he was an Albion fan. I went in around 11pm and it was fairly quiet but there is a lot of memorabilia from many sports. If your nearby and fancy a beer, why not?

We spent a good few hours in there earlier this year - decent enough spot. I like sitting at the bar in dark American bars with decent beer, bar food and some sport on the big screen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here