Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex Pitch

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Said it after the last home game and watching tonight's game it's raised the same concerns.

The pitch appears in the worst state I can recall since we've been at The Amex.

Too many games ? Effects of Rugby World Cup ?

Just a concern bearing in mind our style of play and with some important games ahead.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
TBF I've never been impressed with our pitch since it was first laid. Drains well but wears badly.
Given the fuss that was made about its revolutionary construction I think we bought a bit of a pup. :shrug:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
TBF I've never been impressed with our pitch since it was first laid. Drains well but wears badly.
Given the fuss that was made about its revolutionary construction I think we bought a bit of a pup. :shrug:

It's been relaid; 2 pups?

S

smileyweb

The turf is removed and the pitch is re-seeded (not re-laid / re-turfed) at the end of every season.

That's why there are a load of staff games / fans games / family fun days, etc. in the week before this happens - doesn't matter if the pitch gets mullered as it'll be ripped up anyway...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How green is the grass on your planet - does the texture of the seats bother you ?

Old as I may be I can tell the difference between grass and soil and there is plenty of the latter in patches of the Amex in contrast to some other grounds. It's not bad by any means. I just happen to have expected better. Fair enough if you disagree. Perhaps the view is different from your super-padded seat

Edit: the suspicion from my parallel universe is that it is a result of re-seeding in straight lines rather than randomised dispersal and that by re-drilling every summer the grass doesn't mat as effectively.

Last edited:

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
Old as I may be I can tell the difference between grass and soil and there is plenty of the latter in patches of the Amex in contrast to some other grounds. It's not bad by any means. I just happen to have expected better. Fair enough if you disagree. Perhaps the view is different from your super-padded seat
Respect your view , guess I just miss a muddy goalmouth !

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
There has to be some connection between the increased amount of games at The Amex this season and the condition of the pitch.

Arnt the ladies also due to be playing at The Amex soon aswell ?

As I've said previously the pitch didn't look great last night with large areas that looked badly cut up and various area that looked like 'muddy patches' let's hope the ground staff work there magic before the Birmingham game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here