Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all bikers (or general NSC no it alls) - anybody up on motorcycle law?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I want to carry my golf clubs on the back of my VFR.

I was thinking I would strap them to my top box, in their golf bag which would be stood up on the pillionseat.

Any idea where I stand on this from a legal perspective? Would the Rozzers take an interest if I was to cruise past them?

Snooky

PS - I have spoken with [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] and I am back on board for organising the REMF Palace - Brighton bike ride for 2016. Not on topic at all, but thought a few of you who read this might be interested in that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If your load is secure, does not obstruct your vision, increase the width of your vehicle, or unbalance your bike, should be fine.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Having worked in the motorcycle industry for 20 years I would suggest that load carrying is a very grey area. By carrying a set of golf clubs (and bag I assume) you are leaving yourself wide open to the individual interpretation of the law by a police officer. You will also be acting like a total prat.

I am adding a smiley as I really did not want to sound that harsh :)

Last edited:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Having worked in the motorcycle industry for 20 years I would suggest that load carrying is a very grey area. By carrying a set of golf clubs (and bag I assume) you are leaving yourself wide open to the individual interpretation of the law by a police officer. You will also be acting like a total prat.

I am adding a smiley as I really did not want to sound that harsh :)

I have considered the "total prat" angle, and the fact that the police are likely to interpret things that way also.

The fact is that a well secured golf bag (secured to the bike frame and the top box) is about the same height and probably at least 50kg lighter than your average pillion passenger. Nobody would dream of interpreting a pillion passenger as unsafe (as long as they have relevant protective gear on).

This being said it still remains that individual interpretation by myself, other road users and the police may differ. With this in mind I am going to have to look at an alternative. This is a right pain, as bloody stupid engineering work means that the train journey will be almost 3 times longer than it usually would. I could hire a car, but because of internet banking and bill payment I do not have the relevant letters to confirm my address and they do not accept internet print outs.

So looks like it will be a very long train journey as golf clubs on a bike will probably be interpreted as "unsafe" even though I do not think they are.

FML.

Snooky

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I want to carry my golf clubs on the back of my VFR.

I was thinking I would strap them to my top box, in their golf bag which would be stood up on the pillionseat.

Any idea where I stand on this from a legal perspective? Would the Rozzers take an interest if I was to cruise past them?

Snooky

PS - I have spoken with [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] and I am back on board for organising the REMF Palace - Brighton bike ride for 2016. Not on topic at all, but thought a few of you who read this might be interested in that.

There's nothing in the Highway code to say either way.
I've carried some big stuff on the back of my old bike (properly fastened/bungied) without issue.

I would guess that the rules for bikes (luggage) are the same as cars.
As long as the luggage is properly fastened, doesn't restrict your view or impair make your journey dangerous (as Baldseagull has also posted), I'm sure it'll be fine.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
From observation the main laws relating to motorbikes seem to relate to an absolute necessity to ride on the wrong side of the road, especially when approaching a blind bend.
Regarding carrying a load, I seem to recall this featuring regularly in the police accident videos where it is invariably highlighted as being a pretty dumb manoeuvre?
Probably not helpful but I know nothing :lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose the difference between a well secured golf bag and a pillion passenger is that a pillion passenger can adjust their weight distribution as necessary, whereas a golf bag is going to go where gravity and a set of decent bungee straps permits it.

The offence that I would see applying here is that of using a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition (S40A Road Traffic Act 1988), specifically the element that relates to the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured, and whether that involves a danger of injury to any person (including yourself).

As you suggest, it is largely open to interpretation, and would be evidenced by the manner of your riding (as a bulky vertical load is likely to affect the balance and handling).

Personally, I'd view it on its merits, but if you as the rider find yourself pondering the wisdom of it, then you probably have your answer :)

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I have considered the "total prat" angle, and the fact that the police are likely to interpret things that way also.

The fact is that a well secured golf bag (secured to the bike frame and the top box) is about the same height and probably at least 50kg lighter than your average pillion passenger. Nobody would dream of interpreting a pillion passenger as unsafe (as long as they have relevant protective gear on).

This being said it still remains that individual interpretation by myself, other road users and the police may differ. With this in mind I am going to have to look at an alternative. This is a right pain, as bloody stupid engineering work means that the train journey will be almost 3 times longer than it usually would. I could hire a car, but because of internet banking and bill payment I do not have the relevant letters to confirm my address and they do not accept internet print outs.

So looks like it will be a very long train journey as golf clubs on a bike will probably be interpreted as "unsafe" even though I do not think they are.

FML.

Snooky

I'm afraid the 'looking like a total prat' ship sailed some years ago PM.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I've taken some pretty bulky fishing gear on my bike including rods slung over my back without any problems, and yes, I did look like a ****.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
11057835_10153264497841638_8835328858652095235_n.jpg

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Blimey 00snook, welcome back. Where have you been, seems like ages since I've seen you on here?

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I used to carry the clubs on my back as I normally would, just shortened the straps whilst on the bike...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here