Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will England fans really sing the French national anthem tomorrow?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm not here to stoke the fire as what happened in France really was heartbreaking:down:
But...would you sing the French national anthem tomorrow considering France are a country we've never really seen eye to eye with?
Would the French sing God save the queen?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You really are a throwback aren't you ? :lolol:

Do you think all Frenchmen ride bicycles wearing red or blue hooped mariner shirts wearing a beret and with a string of garlic round their necks???

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
France are a country we've never really seen eye to eye with?

Speak for yourself about one of the UK's most distinguished wartime allies, troll.

Not to mention that the Marseillaise is, IMHO, the greatest national anthem of the lot bar none: rousing tune, feistily defiant lyrics. So after everything that's happened it deserves to be roared out by anyone and everyone at Wembley tomorrow.

A bit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTsg9i6lvqU

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
At the Amex in March this year most of the crowd hummed along to their Anthem, why not?
Hummed with disgust more like.
In no uncertain terms should you ever sing another countries national anthem especially the French one...Just my opinion though.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I'm not here to stoke the fire as what happened in France really was heartbreaking:down:
But...would you sing the French national anthem tomorrow considering France are a country we've never really seen eye to eye with?

Yes because of what it is standing for.
Anyway what on earth has 130 people dying in France through terrorism got to do with " us never really seeing eye to eye with them got to do with it ?
Very poor comparison of things matey.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

We've fought two world wars on the same side. What more do you want. I feel more French than American or Australian.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Speak for yourself about one of the UK's most distinguished wartime allies, troll.

Not to mention that the Marseillaise is, IMHO, the greatest national anthem of the lot bar none: rousing tune, feistily defiant lyrics. So after everything that's happened it deserves to be roared out by anyone and everyone at Wembley tomorrow.

Troll?mmmm
Give over....The French would be in the top two of countries we would dislike if a poll appeared.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009

i'd sing it , but one of our ''most distinguished wartime allies'' ?? Do me a favour :lolol:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes because of what it is standing for.
Anyway what on earth has 130 people dying in France through terrorism got to do with " us never really seeing eye to eye with them got to do with it ?
Very poor comparison of things matey.
What singing their national anthem to show solidarity?
Poor comparison....Me thinks not :)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Hummed with disgust more like.
In no uncertain terms should you ever sing another countries national anthem especially the French one...Just my opinion though.
Why does it matter? If this shows a symbolic togetherness and makes just one fundamentalist lunatic get miffed that people aren't just sitting and crying then it's worth it.

No-one's going to suddenly assault you with baguettes, berets and brie for singing along.

Edit; Fairly obviously, my answer would be yes, I would sing along.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Why does it matter? If this shows a symbolic togetherness and makes just one fundamentalist lunatic get miffed that people aren't just sitting and crying then it's worth it.

No-one's going to suddenly assault you with baguettes, berets and brie for singing along.

Edit; Fairly obviously, my answer would be yes, I would sing along.
Don't recall much when 7/7 happened here???
Togetherness can be done in many ways,but singing their national anthem is just bloody ridiculous.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not talking about wars though are we?
You saying we love the French then?

Personally, I love the French and their country.
I am not so naïve as to think that plenty of other people do not share my view, but I certainly don't think it is a totally national feeling.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If you want to sing it then sing, if you don't then don't. Can't really see what the problem is or why this has any relevance to anything.

:shrug:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here