Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walton backs the young guns - and he wants to be out there with them [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Christian Walton reckons if you are a good enough goalkeeper, you are old enough.
And he points to two of the world’s most famous clubs– plus his own international squad – as evidence of that.
The Albion prospect, who turned 20 on Monday, hopes to be part of England under-21s’ crucial Euro 2017 qualifier against Switzerland at the Amex on Monday.
But he faces a tough battle to oust No.1 Jordan Pickford, currently one of the top Championship keepers at the age of just 21.
Which helps explain why Walton is very keen to get out on loan and prove his worth, ideally in League One.
He told The Argus: “Jordan has done really well at Preston. I didn’t catch up with him here (for the recent 0-0 draw) but he had a good game.
“I’m still pushing for his place, no doubt about that.
“Getting some games will help me grab that No.1 spot.
“I’m hoping to go out on loan in the next month or so but, you never know, something could come up quicker. Or I might just have to be patient and stay here training and playing for the under-21s.
“I would like to play in League One if possible.
“Nothing is on the table but hopefully something will crop up.
“It’s about being patient, working hard and doing the right things about the club.”

Examples of young keepers making an impact are easy to find.At the San Siro, Gianluigi Donnarumma is currently first choice for Milan at the age of just 16.
4462720.jpg

And at the Camp Nou, Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, above, is playing for Barcelona at the age of 23 with 108 Bundesliga appearances for Borussia Monchengladbach under his belt already.
Walton retweeted a clip of the latter performing a piece of outfield skill recently and said: “I thought it was pretty special to pull that off in a Champions League game!
“He is a top class keeper. Playing outfield is a big part of the modern day keeper’s work, playing high lines like Manuel Neuer. I would have thought they are the type of players young keepers now look to.
“There are some great keepers coming through. There’s a 16-year-old at Milan who has got into the team and I think he’s something special.
“It just depends on the manager or what team you’re at and what happens within the club.”
Walton has been selected by both Sami Hyypia and Chris Hughton to play in front of crowds in excess of 30,000 in the past two seasons and thought he had found regular football this term at Bury.
But his season-long loan was cut short due a groin injury, hence the need to find another club now he is fit again.
4462721.jpg

Jordan Pickford makes a great save at the Amex recently
“I got that matchday feeling on a Saturday,” he said of his time at Gigg Lane. “I played a good standard of football and I would say it has helped me massively.
“It was cut short but I got six games and in those I felt I improved as a person and keeper.
“I had a grade two groin tear which I got in one of the games and I played on with it, which didn’t help. Then Brighton recalled me on deadline day to get treatment.
“I had a scan which highlighted the problem but the physios were brilliant here. They got me back straight away and now I’m waiting to go back out on loan again.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here