Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it possible for a military coalition to defeat Isis.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Would a Global coalition of Europe,USA,Russia,The Arab States even China with'Boots on the Ground' be worth considering in trying to put a military force together in an attempt to halt the flow of Isis ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
with what strategic outcome post ISIL defeat?

there isnt one that everyone can sign up to, defeating ISIL is only half the story, there's the Syrian civil war to resolve. unless you do that, ISIL pops right back up.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think the only thing that can defeat ISIS, is ISIS itself.
Hopefully, internal tensions, religious differences, in house fueds will rip it apart, but that won't solve the real problem of too many young Moslem men (and women to a lesser exstent,) wanting to martyr themselves on the altar of a promise of eternal life that is better than anyting they can expect on Earth.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not unless we convince The Gulf States, especially Saudi Arabia and Qatar to stop funding them and providing the breeding ground for their 'ideology.'

IS funded and created by states that we call allies.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not unless we convince The Gulf States, especially Saudi Arabia and Qatar to stop funding them and providing the breeding ground for their 'ideology.'

I would even go as far to include Turkey on that list.

Maybe the Qatar world cup should be boycotted, if not by the teams, certainly the fans. Hopefully it will be over by then though.

Dec 29, 2011

Bang on, all these right wing biggots calling for us to deport immigrants, close the borders and stop building mosques don't seem to realise our government are in bed with the main funders of ISIS. Want someone to blame? Look no further than our government who aren't prepared to cut ties with these countries and keep selling them billions of £s worth of arms.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Bang on, all these right wing biggots calling for us to deport immigrants, close the borders and stop building mosques don't seem to realise our government are in bed with the main funders of ISIS. Want someone to blame? Look no further than our government who aren't prepared to cut ties with these countries and keep selling them billions of £s worth of arms.

Arms that the strangely find their way into the hands of terrorists.

The Arab Spring totally spooked The Gulf States, as they are amongst the most undemocratic societies in the world, with human rights records not a million miles off IS. They are happy with IS as it keeps democracy a long, long way away from them. Funny that IS wasn't much of a concern until after The Arab Spring.....

This article sums it up. Stop encouraging democracy or we'll stop buying your weapons. People need to open their eyes to the wider context of permanent civil war in the Middle East and who it benefits.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...down-on-muslim-brotherhood-or-lose-arms-deals

This is a great, short article on the Saudi influence. Well worth 2 minutes of your time

http://theweek.com/articles/570297/how-saudi-arabia-exports-radical-islam

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yup, Turkey as well. They are strongly suspected to be buying IS oil.

Yep, ISIS go on vacation there, are treated in hospital there when injured, the main route into Syria is via Turkey etc etc etc. It really annoys me is when Saudi, Qatar and Turkey are trying to dictate the future of Assad. Might be something to do with them all being Sunni and purely wanting another Sunni state.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yep, ISIS go on vacation there, are treated in hospital there when injured, the main route into Syria is via Turkey etc etc etc. It really annoys me is when Saudi, Qatar and Turkey are trying to dictate the future of Assad. Might be something to do with them all being Sunni and purely wanting another Sunni state.

All we do by fighting the symptoms rather than the causes is make arms manufacturers and obscenely rich Princes very happy.

I'm not objected to fighting Wahhabism but we have to be honest about where it is coming from and what we are trying to achieve by removing it. Doing anything else is a waste of time, money and innocent lives.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

or it might be bollocks. none of those states are supporting ISIL. in reality they see them as very dangerous threat to their own futures, especially Saudi. private individuals might be involved in aiding the ISIL economy, but to say thats Turkey, Saudi etc would be like saying the US supported IRA because some fundraising occured in Boston. (i'll probably find that some do believe the US supported IRA...).

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Hitler thought the same. Luckily he was wrong.

Glad that he was too, but doesn't mean that there are not people around today that believe in his evil ways. My point being that someones moral or immoral beliefs and values are harder to deal with than a physical battle.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
or it might be bollocks. none of those states are supporting ISIL. in reality they see them as very dangerous threat to their own futures, especially Saudi. private individuals might be involved in aiding the ISIL economy, but to say thats Turkey, Saudi etc would be like saying the US supported IRA because some fundraising occured in Boston. (i'll probably find that some do believe the US supported IRA...).

I would call it tacit support. Currently IS benefits the Gulf States, they have no stake in stopping them.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Glad that he was too, but doesn't mean that there are not people around today that believe in his evil ways. My point being that someones moral or immoral beliefs and values are harder to deal with than a physical battle.

Exactly this.

Hitler is dead. Neo-nazism still pervades. The ideology of ISIS will persist as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
private individuals might be involved in aiding the ISIL economy, but to say thats Turkey, Saudi etc would be like saying the US supported IRA because some fundraising occured in Boston. (i'll probably find that some do believe the US supported IRA...).
It wasn't just Boston, actually.

But don't let that ruin your argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here