Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chilli advice

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just been reading some chilli recipes out of curiosity to see how they varied but noticed most said to melt chocolate into it just before finishing cooking, why is this and how does it affect it? Asked wife and her answer was I have bedn making it for 40 + years and never used it so wouldnt know. I like the way she makes it but thought I would try at sometime.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Rajah chili powder from Taj. Use no other. There's a huge difference in the taste of chili powders but this is the cat's pyjamas.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Rajah chili powder from Taj. Use no other. There's a huge difference in the taste of chili powders but this is the cat's pyjamas.

Powder !

Fresh chillis is the way to go; personally I prefer bird eyes for heat and flavour

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I melt a Crunchie and/or a Double Decker when I make a chilli. Really helps a deep flavour to develop.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Fresh chillis is the way to go; personally I prefer bird eyes for heat and flavour

I tried cooking with fresh chillies once.. My eyes and nose started streaming, I felt I could hardly breathe. I had to go outside for fresh air.. My wife finished it off. It tasted horrible - so some chocolate was nice to eat afterwards.

Back to a packet sauce after that... cooks we are not.....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I melt a Crunchie and/or a Double Decker when I make a chilli. Really helps a deep flavour to develop.

Sacrilege.

It's a Cadbury's Creme Egg or nothing at all.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Ive never used chocolate in chilli but have in Mexican recipes. In my humble opinion the Thomasina Miers chilli recipe is the best I've ever made. And I've made a lot of chilli.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
...don't forget the essential cumin. Vital.

Of all the recipes only 1 chef included cumin and he said the same as you. Despite all the p..s taking of Dime Bars Mars Bars Areo etc nobody has been able to say what effect the chocolate has on a chillia and why so many chefs say to use a block of dark chocolate melted into the meat mix near the end. Perhaps people dont know and it is easier to take the p..s rather than admit they dont know. Mind they could always say nothing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Little bit of dark chocolate increases the depth of flavour - not unlike lobbing a stock cube in. Always fresh chillies (some trial and error re amount according to taste), cubed, good quality steak not mince and cook in a slow cooker for at least 6-8 hours. Add chopped peppers with a couple of hours to go.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Does it make it noticably sweeter and less fiery adding chocolate.

Not really, just adds richness to the overall dish. Doesn't make it 'chocolatey' or sweet. I guess it might just take the edge off the heat but not a material difference. Experiment a bit - next time you make one spoon a bit out into a separate pan and melt a square into it if you are worried to see what it tastes like. I've added it and family haven't noticed until I mentioned it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not really, just adds richness to the overall dish. Doesn't make it 'chocolatey' or sweet. I guess it might just take the edge off the heat but not a material difference. Experiment a bit - next time you make one spoon a bit out into a separate pan and melt a square into it if you are worried to see what it tastes like. I've added it and family haven't noticed until I mentioned it.

Thanks for that I am the only one in the family that likes chilli hot most like it like a glorified savoury mince,

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Chili is more of a Tex-Mex dish than strictly Mexican I believe. Maybe the idea of sticking chocolate in there was inspired by Mexican mole sauce recipes (no, not the myopic burrower), which are made from chili peppers, and sometimes include a little Mexican chocolate to deepen flavour, temper heat, and give it a dark colour. Mui sabroso!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is a shop opposite Waitrose in Brighton that has the goods. Looking for Paprika. Try Ajvar if you are jaded. Marmite for pepper lovers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here