Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Enoch Powell correct?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I have asked before and I would still say yes,

The uncontrolled immigration and war in the the middle east is bringing blood to our streets and countries

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He was certainly right to recognise that recruiting nurses and ancillary staff from the Caribbean would help save the NHS. But he was Minister of Health at the time.

Nice attempt to sidestep the question! Only problem is that he made his 'Rivers of Blood' speech (which you know as well as I do is what the OP is referring to) some five years after he ceased to be the Minister of Health.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think he was right to denounce American imperialism.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
As regards his most famous speach- has anyone ever read the full text ? It's quite an interesting read.

Has the black man got the 'whip hand' yet ? Only I think he said 'fifteen years'. I make that 1983.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As regards his most famous speach- has anyone ever read the full text ? It's quite an interesting read.

Has the black man got the 'whip hand' yet ? Only I think he said 'fifteen years'. I make that 1983.

Have you added VAT though?

Nice attempt to sidestep the question! Only problem is that he made his 'Rivers of Blood' speech (which you know as well as I do is what the OP is referring to) some five years after he ceased to be the Minister of Health.

Sorry. I thought that speech was self-evidently racist bile that was intended to cause nothing but trouble to the community that Powell was supposed to be representing. It certainly felt like that at the time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no. mostly because its not happend nor is it happening, aside a few incidents. people seem to forget our own ability to carry out such actions on our own or near neighbours, pretending that this is a new type of conflict and exclusive to arabs. such short memories.

Jan 30, 2008
he was certainly right to recognise that recruiting nurses and ancillary staff from the caribbean would help save the nhs. But he was minister of health at the time.
nice swerve, i don't think that has got anything to do with the current situation ??? have you heard of any west indian suicide bombers:facepalm::
regards
DR

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Indeed, he was an opposition MP at the time of his 'Rivers of Blood' speech.

What is disregarded by many who claim, "he was right" is that the speech was in opposition to the Race Relations Bill passing through Parliament which would make it illegal to discriminate in matters of housing, employment or public services on the grounds of race. All of his rhetoric was aimed purely at supporting a right to refuse someone a job, housing, medical care etc. because of the colour of their skin.

Doubtless many will claim he was correct to try and protect that right but I am not one of them and can resoundingly say, "No, he was not right".

Jan 30, 2008
no. mostly because its not happend nor is it happening, aside a few incidents. people seem to forget our own ability to carry out such actions on our own or near neighbours, pretending that this is a new type of conflict and exclusive to arabs. such short memories.
what a limp wristed effort , people like you are a disgrace:nono:
regards
DR

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what a limp wristed effort , people like you are a disgrace:nono:
regards
DR

im a disgrace because what? i acknowledge our own actions? because i note the actions of other nations and cultures we consider our friends as similar? i dont condone the actions, just intelligent to see that one muslim attack in a foreign land does not mean there are Muslim vs White uprisingings in streets of Wolverhampton.

Jan 30, 2008
im a disgrace because what? i acknowledge our own actions? because i note the actions of other nations and cultures we consider our friends as similar? i dont condone the actions, just intelligent to see that one muslim attack in a foreign land does not mean there are Muslim vs White uprisingings in streets of Wolverhampton.
ONLY A MATTER OF TIME, IT'S HAPPENED IN PLACES LIKE OLDHAM ................. wake up !!!!! AND YOU RECKON THERE'S ONLY BEEN ONE ATTACK FFS, YOU ARE A DIN OF THE HIGHEST ORDER
regards
DR

By "the black man" Powell undoubtedly had in mind members of the Afro-Caribbean community and Hindu Indian community who had been migrating to the West Midlands in the 1960s. His prognostications were plainly wrong.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Indeed, he was an opposition MP at the time of his 'Rivers of Blood' speech.

What is disregarded by many who claim, "he was right" is that the speech was in opposition to the Race Relations Bill passing through Parliament which would make it illegal to discriminate in matters of housing, employment or public services on the grounds of race. All of his rhetoric was aimed purely at supporting a right to refuse someone a job, housing, medical care etc. because of the colour of their skin.

Doubtless many will claim he was correct to try and protect that right but I am not one of them and can resoundingly say, "No, he was not right".

Put like this, then you most certainly have a point, as what you mention cannot be defended at all. But those who say "he was right" are not really referring to this, are they? Just that they feel that the "rivers of blood" is what could happen in the future, as relations between the christian and muslim communities get ever worse. And would you bet against future conflict, abhorrent as the thought is?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here