Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flying March convinced his big decision paid off [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Solly March believes his decision to stay in Sussex is looking better all the time.
And he hopes to receive another indication of that on his home patch on Monday.
The Sussex boy made what appeared a bold footballing move when he put Albion ahead of Newcastle as he sorted out his future.
That was four years ago, when Albion were just finding their feet in the Championship.
The two clubs are a bit closer now in terms of set-up and league position, although Newcastle remain, of course, a big club with potential to be massive.
But March believes he has enjoyed the chances to shine with Albion he might not have received on Tyneside.
Those chances have helped him catch the eye and put him in the running for playing time with England under-21s when they visit his home stadium at the Amex on Monday.
March is very much what people tend to call a confidence player.
And there is every reason for that confidence to be soaring after the left-foot cracker he scored last time out at the stadium, playing for his club against MK Dons.
As a Hailsham boy who had a spell with Lewes, March will not lack support should he get on.
He told The Argus: “A few clubs were in there. Millwall offered me something, Brighton, Newcastle.
“I think, being local, this was where I wanted to stay, near my family, so it’s perfect really.
“I think it was a good decision. You will probably get more chances at a place like Brighton. Playing first team football is what it’s all about so hopefully it’s a good decision.”
March has been with England in Bosnia this week and, up to now, has been part of the support cast with England under-21s.
But that still is not a bad role in which to gain experience and pick up a few new tricks.

* He came off the bench late in the 1-0 friendly win over the US Olympic squad recently and hit a post with an audacious chip.
But what has gone on behind the scenes has also helped him.
He said: “With England, it’s Premier League defenders and I think I can hold my own, 100%.
“I can beat players so it’s definitely a confidence builder, knowing you can compete and you are as good as a lot of these players. But they are all good players.
“I haven’t played much for England but in training I think all the wingers are versatile enough to play on both sides.
“You start on one side but, if you drift over to the other wing, I don’t think it’s the end of the world.”
March is seeing Europe with the England set-up.
He first made his breakthrough as part of an under-20s squad in the south of France for the Toulon tournament 18 months ago.
March was on the bench for the opening qualifier against Norway and again versus Kazakhstan at Coventry.
Of course, he is getting to know the FA’s headquarters at St George’s Park well.
But he reckons Albion’s home base at Lancing will be an eye opener for his England mates over this weekend.
4460903.jpg

He said ahead of yesterday's*session (pictured above): “It should be good. It will be familiar for the three of us (March, Jake Forster-Caskey and Christian Walton) to train at the Brighton training ground.
“I don’t think many of the England players will know about the facilities.
“But it is probably among the top ten or 15 training grounds in the country. People will be impressed.”
England are keen to make it clear to their under-21s that the door to the senior squad is very much open, that there is not a gulf between the squads and that call-ups and promotions can happen.
But one big difference is in terms of European Championship organisation and qualification.
While the seniors had two spots to aim for, plus a play-off safety net, and got there easily, life is more challenging for the 21s.
Only 12 teams will compete in next summer’s finals in Poland, including the host nation.
There are nine qualification groups and only the winners are assured of a place in the finals.
The four runners-up with the best records go into a pair of two-leg ties to decide who takes the final two places.
Which means five group runners-up will not even have a play-off.
That gives some idea of how high the stakes will be at the Amex in what could be termed a six-pointer.
March said: “We are quite confident going into it.
“There are some tough away games to come but I think we are probably the favourites to qualify.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here