Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeopathy could be blacklisted

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not sure this is so great. Placebos are proved to be very effective and cheap to produce with Homeopathy being the most popular type.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not sure this is so great. Placebos are proved to be very effective and cheap to produce with Homeopathy being the most popular type.

Well at least you've acknowledged it is a placebo. Purely sugar and water nothing else. But the article is about it being blacklisted from the NHS. If you want to waste your own money on this rubbish feel free but the taxpayer shouldn't fund it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I agree it should not be available on the NHS. Figures on costs from Internet searches vary from £4-12million a year. My GP would not give me a typhoid jab as it was considered beyond the surgery's budget.
I like this quote' an American magician and debunker James Randi has for many years had a $1m prize on offer for anyone who can demonstrate paranormal abilities. He has made it clear that this cheque would go to someone who can reliably distinguish a homeopathic dilution from water. His money remains unclaimed.'
It's great many people want homeopathic remedies.
I

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Well at least you've acknowledged it is a placebo. Purely sugar and water nothing else. But the article is about it being blacklisted from the NHS. If you want to waste your own money on this rubbish feel free but the taxpayer shouldn't fund it.

This, so absolutely I would take one letter from this post, drown it in water, shake it a lot, then add some more water and repeat until the sentiment becomes much stronger than GB's.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Presumably NICE have concluded that it's a cost effective treatment for what it's used to treat, i.e the placebo effect, if so I don't see why it shouldn't stay.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Fair enough.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Presumably NICE have concluded that it's a cost effective treatment for what it's used to treat, i.e the placebo effect, if so I don't see why it shouldn't stay.

Being available on the NHS effectively gives the whole thing a sense of scientific legitimacy. If people want to spend their money on it, fine. But let's not pretend it's anything other than a load of mumbo jumbo. If the NHS were really in the business of prescribing placebo's, they can just hand out sugar pills without having all the ritualised nonsense of homeopathy.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Being available on the NHS effectively gives the whole thing a sense of scientific legitimacy. If people want to spend their money on it, fine. But let's not pretend it's anything other than a load of mumbo jumbo. If the NHS were really in the business of prescribing placebo's, they can just hand out sugar pills without having all the ritualised nonsense of homeopathy.

It obviously is 'mumbo jumbo' but if it works and is cost effective why not use it?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
In a place I used to work, one of the hippy owners bought a homeopathic first aid kit. One day I pretended that I was ill and swallowed the lot - about 300 pills in total, amazingly I lived. The owner never spoke to me again.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just because science can't currently explain it, it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Before the 1960s, Higgs-Bosun particles weren't even dreamed of.
What is the next fundamental discovery beyond quantum physics ? ???

Let's not be all 'Flat Earth' about this.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It obviously is 'mumbo jumbo' but if it works and is cost effective why not use it?

Which begs the question is homoeopathy actually prescribed by GP's/Consultants or is it a treatment more likely to be demanded by the patient and then given.

If the latter, seems to be a patient with a wholly vague or undetermined 'condition' that then demands a treatment that is proved not to work and then those patience say their 'condition' is now cured and promote the virtues of a treatment that doesnt work.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Just because science can't currently explain it, it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Before the 1960s, Higgs-Bosun particles weren't even dreamed of.
What is the next fundamental discovery beyond quantum physics ? ???

Let's not be all 'Flat Earth' about this.

Fine you spend your money on it, but dont you spend mine on it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ok just read that NICE does not recommend homeopathy so therfore BAN it!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In a place I used to work, one of the hippy owners bought a homeopathic first aid kit. One day I pretended that I was ill and swallowed the lot - about 300 pills in total, amazingly I lived. The owner never spoke to me again.

You needed to add much more water and shaken it more for it to work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here