Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sausage Roll

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, what is it?

You need to buy some good quality sausages.

These are my favourite.

LN_554922_BP_11.jpg

Plus this is the EASIEST puff pasty to work with:

LN_052810_BP_11.jpg

So

Ingrediants

2 x Packs of Waitrose Nutmeg and Black Pepper Sausages ( they also do the same in sausage meat if you can get it. 2 x packs which will be a bit more meat )
2 x Packs of Just Roll Vegetable Fat Pre Rolled Pastry.
Onion Powder
Nutmeg
Garlic Powder
Mustard ( Don't use English Mustard, try and get a milder one ) like this:

LN_578590_BP_11.jpg

Ketchup
HP Sauce
Breadcrumbs !! ( REALLY IMPORTANT )

Method

1) Take the meat of out the skins and mix with a generous tablespoon each of Ketchup, Mustard and HP Sauce :) Yes really.

2) Add some onion and garlic powder and nutmeg.

3) Add half a handful of breadcrumbs to counteract the liquid you have added.

4) You won't need much salt but you can add pepper.

5) Split the mix into 4 equal lumps and roll out into a long sausage as long as LONGEST edge of the pastry.

6) Cut the pastry in TWO length ways along the longest edge.

7) IMPORTANT: Brush the INSIDE of the pastry with a thin layer of mustard.

8) THIS IS THE REALLY IMPORTANT BIT. Roll the sausage meat in the breadcrumbs, it will stick without egg. This breadcrumb layer will adsorb any excess fat and ensure the rolls are crispy. You won't notice it in the final sausage roll, but it makes a huge difference.

9) Place the sausage in the pastry and roll up and pinch together.

10) Only have any pastry out at the time you are rolling. It's much easier to deal with when cold from the fridge. If anything gets unworkable, just put in the fridge for 30 mins.

11) Cut the sausage rolls up (to desired length) and egg wash if you want. Season the outside with sea salt and pepper.

12) Put them BACK IN THE FRIDGE before you cook.

13) Cook on non stick parchment paper on a tray and they are cooked when the BOTTOMS are nice and crisp. Usually 25 mins at 180.

Play around with different sausages and seasoning, but don't forget the breadcrumb thing. Fresh breadcrumbs are better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Something to be said for this I think, I have to admit that the grerat majority of bacon bought in this country has a lot of water added to it, hence all that vile white coloured liquid that emanantes from it when u fry it, and the fact that the rashers shrivel to less than half of their original size.

The only way to be sure of avoiding this it seems to me, is to avoid the supermarket, and pay a bit more for your bacon from the butcher or a farm shop.

Or Daves Bacon stall in the Open Market in London Rd.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I stopped doing this now , but I used to take them into work.

Cook them in the morning (made the night before) and put them inside a foil bag inside a "cool bag" that had three kitchen tiles wrapped in foil at the bottom.

The tiles were heated in the oven and place on a cork matt to stop them melting the bag :)

Oddly the "steaming" makes the pastry quite chewy (not wet) and they actually improve.

I obviously made LOADS.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
All good, but why not just buy the sausage meat?

I like an Italian sausage, particularly with fennel . . . . Must experiment and report back.

You need to buy some good quality sausages.

These are my favourite.

LN_554922_BP_11.jpg

Plus this is the EASIEST puff pasty to work with:

LN_052810_BP_11.jpg

So

Ingrediants

2 x Packs of Waitrose Nutmeg and Black Pepper Sausages ( they also do the same in sausage meat if you can get it. 2 x packs which will be a bit more meat )
2 x Packs of Just Roll Vegetable Fat Pre Rolled Pastry.
Onion Powder
Nutmeg
Garlic Powder
Mustard ( Don't use English Mustard, try and get a milder one ) like this:

LN_578590_BP_11.jpg

Ketchup
HP Sauce
Breadcrumbs !! ( REALLY IMPORTANT )

Method

1) Take the meat of out the skins and mix with a generous tablespoon each of Ketchup, Mustard and HP Sauce :) Yes really.

2) Add some onion and garlic powder and nutmeg.

3) Add half a handful of breadcrumbs to counteract the liquid you have added.

4) You won't need much salt but you can add pepper.

5) Split the mix into 4 equal lumps and roll out into a long sausage as long as LONGEST edge of the pastry.

6) Cut the pastry in TWO length ways along the longest edge.

7) IMPORTANT: Brush the INSIDE of the pastry with a thin layer of mustard.

8) THIS IS THE REALLY IMPORTANT BIT. Roll the sausage meat in the breadcrumbs, it will stick without egg. This breadcrumb layer will adsorb any excess fat and ensure the rolls are crispy. You won't notice it in the final sausage roll, but it makes a huge difference.

9) Place the sausage in the pastry and roll up and pinch together.

10) Only have any pastry out at the time you are rolling. It's much easier to deal with when cold from the fridge. If anything gets unworkable, just put in the fridge for 30 mins.

11) Cut the sausage rolls up (to desired length) and egg wash if you want. Season the outside with sea salt and pepper.

12) Put them BACK IN THE FRIDGE before you cook.

13) Cook on non stick parchment paper on a tray and they are cooked when the BOTTOMS are nice and crisp. Usually 25 mins at 180.

Play around with different sausages and seasoning, but don't forget the breadcrumb thing. Fresh breadcrumbs are better.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
All good, but why not just buy the sausage meat?

I like an Italian sausage, particularly with fennel . . . . Must experiment and report back.
Waitrose sell the same in both sausage meat and sausages. As a suggested buy the meat if you can get it.

However, there is far more variation in available sausages.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Those sausages have

1) Just the right amount of fat.

2) Are not too finely ground.

3) Lovely flavour with pepper and nutmeg.

4) Waitrose sell the SAME mix as sausage meat.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here