Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Remembrance Day lost it,s meaning ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I am open to the idea of nearest Sunday to the 11th of November (as now) but no businesses are allowed to open until noon. Or even later. Drop all the football poppy shirts and gimmicks. Any ideas ?:wave:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
No ideas but I will never forget. Great Grandfather in the Boer War & the first. A grandfather in the trenches and then subscripted to the RFC at it's formation. On the maternal side a Grandfather and Uncle with extensive Naval service in ww1. Nothing is irrelevant until all directly effected descendants are expired or literally don't care. I wear their medals and awards proudly on my chest until I die.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No it hasn't.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'm all for the freedoms that people went into battle for. It's up to people to decide for themselves how the observe it.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not whilst my mother is around.. Jose on parade.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think it's bigger and better observed than it was 30 years ago that's for sure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont think it losts meaning, but its certainly being used as a political football which is pretty contradictary to the whole point of it. everything from silly half arsed photoshoping or the degree of a bow to people threatened for daring to suggest they dont want to wear a poppy.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It should be concentrated on one day, sensibly 11th November. Currently it seems to go on for ever ... weekend before, weekend after .. which results in the impact being lessened. And the wearing of poppies should be up to the individual .... are you listening BBC???

theboybilly

It should be concentrated on one day, sensibly 11th November. Currently it seems to go on for ever ... weekend before, weekend after .. which results in the impact being lessened. And the wearing of poppies should be up to the individual .... are you listening BBC???

The Royal British Legion lay down strict guidelines for the sale of poppies with a start of the appeal in mid-October and the gathering-in of collection tins starting now. That's about three (maybe four at most) weeks. Some places continue to have collection tins on their counters throughout the year but these are no more intrusive than RNLI or Cancer Research tins etc.
You can't seriously expect the Poppy Appeal to last a weekend can you. The present observance on the nearest Sunday to the 11th (and the 11th itself if not a Sunday) is fine by me. Nobody is forced to attend commemorations

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
dont think it losts meaning, but its certainly being used as a political football which is pretty contradictary to the whole point of it. everything from silly half arsed photoshoping or the degree of a bow to people threatened for daring to suggest they dont want to wear a poppy.

This.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Shame the poppy sellers aren't allowed to give change. Mrs Earle wanted to give £2 for a poppy, but only had a fiver. Seller wouldn't give change so Mrs Earle didn't buy poppy. (bought one later when she had change!). But seems an odd way to attract charitable donations. I thought it was only car parking machines where no change given!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's not often I agree with you but this is spot on.

I certainly don't think it's lost is meaning. If anything it has more meaning now. But I dislike what it's become and how some now use it to push their agendas.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Believe it has lost its meaning to a degree. How many people stop whatever they are doing at 11am on 11 November.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Believe it has lost its meaning to a degree. How many people stop whatever they are doing at 11am on 11 November.

I work for a UK office and all 2000 odd of them did yesterday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely not for me. Proud to have all my grandfathers WWII things. My grandmother recently moved into a nursing home (she's 93) and had always said she wanted me to look after them when she couldn't (as 'eldest grandson'). She has told my son he'll take them from me when I shuffle off, and he's proud to have been 'selected'. Grandfather was a POW in Germany and Austria for a very long time after being captured in the Aegean and he kept a diary throughout that time. Also have service books, photos, all the letters he sent home, despatch orders etc etc. Fascinating and moving stuff to go through. He was the Standard Bearer for his RBL Branch for 40 years, and gran sold poppies for the same period. The RBL was their life and over the years they have been to many, many reunions including in Leros where he was captured.

Will always remember, but as generations pass it's bound to become a bit weaker - really down to us now to educate our offspring on the significance. My office stopped completely yesterday (although the clown responsible for the pa announcement cocked it up)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Surprisingly, the BBC do not force anyone to wear a poppy. In fact they have rules to stop them being worn too early.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely not for me. Proud to have all my grandfathers WWII things. My grandmother recently moved into a nursing home (she's 93) and had always said she wanted me to look after them when she couldn't (as 'eldest grandson'). She has told my son he'll take them from me when I shuffle off, and he's proud to have been 'selected'. Grandfather was a POW in Germany and Austria for a very long time after being captured in the Aegean and he kept a diary throughout that time. Also have service books, photos, all the letters he sent home, despatch orders etc etc. Fascinating and moving stuff to go through. He was the Standard Bearer for his RBL Branch for 40 years, and gran sold poppies for the same period. The RBL was their life and over the years they have been to many, many reunions including in Leros where he was captured.

Will always remember, but as generations pass it's bound to become a bit weaker - really down to us now to educate our offspring on the significance. My office stopped completely yesterday (although the clown responsible for the pa announcement cocked it up)

I don't think it's bound to become weaker. As generations come and go, and the direct links are lost it will change. Weaker, no. Different, yes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here