Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US Soccer ban headers for children under 11 over concussion fears

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is an example of how a weak FIFA is now adversely affecting the world game.

The US is sensitive because of the scientific facts coming out about American Football. That wasn't hysterical - this is.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think that's a good idea.

Kids need to work on their ball control more than heading balls lumped into the air. Hopefully we will implement the same approach to junior football in this country.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Of course its not sensible and heading is a skill just like the 'cruyff turn' is.

It just needs some thought, usually they wont head the ball anyway, but that shouldnt mean a dedicate coach would not try to encourage it.

Firstly how many times is a under 11 player likely to head it in a way that might harm or have longer term effect, hardly ever.

But even with the concern why not practise with a different type of ball, it really shouldnt be a problem and shouldnt be something to just discard.

We are not talking Bob Latchford and heavy soggy laced footballs here, we are talking about an integral part of the game being overlooked.

The real longer term problems that have rarely happened are likely to be more prevalent on how the game evolves at the older age groups anyway.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm just amazed it has taken them this long. Everything that carries even the slightest element of risk will eventually get banned in the USA.

Except carrying loaded guns around, of course.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Of course it is sensible. Let the brain develop. Plenty of time to learn the skill of heading when the child is older.

Your kiddin me, I dont expect a dedicated session on the virtues of heading on a rainy February morning, but to somehow target the most rare event of a boy heading an appropriate sized football with any intent is absolutely nonsensical.

If you cared about health and safety on any under 11 training session your risk assessment might evolve around the weekend broken vodka bottle, contaminated dog shite and the over enthusiastic older brother smashing balls at your goal keeper and all that before the real contact of actually playing the game with the usual low risks of injury.

This isnt something that will protect our youngsters, its a stifling over reaction that will effect the fun and dynamic of a kick about, they cannot surely sanction this without moving on to other more relevant contact bearing skills that we allow our children to experience whilst playing.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think that's a good idea.

Kids need to work on their ball control more than heading balls lumped into the air. Hopefully we will implement the same approach to junior football in this country.

Absolute nonsense. Heading is part of football and should be encouraged aswell.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
what a joke! all i can say is roll on 2030 world cup when there the only team not heading the ball

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm just amazed it has taken them this long.

I thought this news is at least a year old anyway?

Besides, what is it Clough used to say about playing football in the clouds :)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Your kiddin me,

No. It is the brain.
I dont expect a dedicated session on the virtues of heading on a rainy February morning, but to somehow target the most rare event of a boy heading an appropriate sized football with any intent is absolutely nonsensical.

You may be an excellent coach but not all coaches will show the same levels of care for their charges. Children sometimes need protecting from over-enthusiastic amateurs.

If you cared about health and safety on any under 11 training session your risk assessment might evolve around the weekend broken vodka bottle, contaminated dog shite and the over enthusiastic older brother smashing balls at your goal keeper and all that before the real contact of actually playing the game with the usual low risks of injury.

It is the brain. Other bits all recover.

This isnt something that will protect our youngsters, its a stifling over reaction that will effect the fun and dynamic of a kick about, they cannot surely sanction this without moving on to other more relevant contact bearing skills that we allow our children to experience whilst playing.

I disagree. Times change. Like outlawing the tackle from behind.

Other parts of the body - carry on as you like. The brain ? No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here