Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

VPN advice

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
After a year and a half of flawless connection my current VPN hasn't been as reliable as I'd like recently, so I'm thinking of changing provider.

I'm not a big downloader of films/music and really only use it to watch British telly (iPlayer, SKY etc....), so I was wondering if any of my fellow NSCers have any recommendations of decent providers.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
What's your current provider? Expat Shield seems to be the most popular one I come across when fixing expats computers. I use Anonimox firefox plugin with ad block plus to keep things in check on my mac, works well enough for my needs. You can get away with the free one if you disable it as soon as the program starts, the geo check is usually done at the beginning and then not repeated.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
What's your current provider? Expat Shield seems to be the most popular one I come across when fixing expats computers. I use Anonimox firefox plugin with ad block plus to keep things in check on my mac, works well enough for my needs. You can get away with the free one if you disable it as soon as the program starts, the geo check is usually done at the beginning and then not repeated.

Currently using MyExPatNet, like I said it's been flawless for over a year and then this past couple of weeks unreliable.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If it's just for light watching, I use TunnelBear which is free and is good for 500MB per month. Not enough for any real content, but allows me british access to the BBC site, able to watch the highlights on Sky Sports site too.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Hotspot Shield here.

No problems so far.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have Cisco F5 tunnel for our home / work VPN connectivity, which is fine when it is working , but when the time changes happened a few weeks ago from BST to GMT, it was carnage as the feckers reset the main servers and the timings went out by 2 minutes, which meant our RSA tokens were not syncing.

Useless bunch of .....etc etc

Dec 29, 2011
Iplayer is blocking VPN access. Don't pay by year, you may find 1 month into your 12 month contract iplayer doesn't work anymore and you'll have to go to another company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here