Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus: destroying the English language, one heading at a time

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It has been a while since the Argus has featured on these pages for it's wanton disregard of grammar rules and usage. So, I give you:-

ArgusAbomination.jpg

Was Timmy the guest sub-editor for today's edition, I wonder?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Proof read by children, the teachers who taught them, or maybe nobody at all. Certainly nobody from my generation.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No doubt these people would call themselves professionals, I call them lazy, illiterate twunts.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
While I agree with the OP shouldn't the thread be titled "The Argus: destroying the English language, one headline at a time"?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its no surprise that younger journalists are making grammatical errors, as our language changes and handwritten words are fast becoming a thing of the past. Its only really the older generation now still writing letters. The whole construction of grammar is by-passing the younger generations, as they short-cut their way through life, with abbreviated texts, twitters and banal facebooking. No disrespect but some of the posts on here are awful, shoddy, embarrassing efforts at the English language. If you haven't got time to construct a couple of sentences, that read clearly and make sense, then don't bother.
The written word and the spoken word are under threat. Its common to find people in all walks of life, who can't pronounce the letter ' r ' They weren't born with this problem. They just weren't corrected by their parents, when they were young. Kids will look for short cuts. Its not just the letter ' r '. Its now fashionable not to pronounce ' th ' anymore but replace it with the letter ' d ' and throw in a sort of mid-Atlantic drawl and you end up with...." So dare I was de udder day, wondring wot te do bout dis car I've got, when der next door nayber said his was up for sale "....etc etc
Our speech is being hijacked by lazy people who can't be bothered to use their tongues and pronounce words properly. Kids are talking in a kind of semi-language, part Jamaican patois, part sub-continental immigrant ( ' innit ' ) and part Vicky Pollard. They never handwrite anything. They don't construct sentences and paragraphs. Before long there will be a generational language gap, where the older generations will not have a clue what youngsters are on about. It will be like a secret society, where kids talking normally can't be understood by their parents and will get away with murder ( not literally ) which will widen the divide. We will be two races within our island. One will be a diminishing older generation, still speaking the Queen's English ,who will all be locked away, institutionalised, imprisoned by the younger generations, to stop them tainting this ' new speak ' They will be regarded with disdain and condemned to their final days of near solitude, reading the last great works of English literature, that they have smuggled into their ' rest homes ' Still writing the occasional letter with their frail hands, until eventually they are all gone, like the last Great War veterans and are just a thing of the past.
" I must go down to the sea again, the lonely sea and sky....."

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Its no surprise that younger journalists are making grammatical errors, as our language changes and handwritten words are fast becoming a thing of the past. Its only really the older generation now still writing letters. The whole construction of grammar is by-passing the younger generations, as they short-cut their way through life, with abbreviated texts, twitters and banal facebooking. No disrespect but some of the posts on here are awful, shoddy, embarrassing efforts at the English language. If you haven't got time to construct a couple of sentences, that read clearly and make sense, then don't bother.
The written word and the spoken word are under threat. Its common to find people in all walks of life, who can't pronounce the letter ' r ' They weren't born with this problem. They just weren't corrected by their parents, when they were young. Kids will look for short cuts. Its not just the letter ' r '. Its now fashionable not to pronounce ' th ' anymore but replace it with the letter ' d ' and throw in a sort of mid-Atlantic drawl and you end up with...." So dare I was de udder day, wondring wot te do bout dis car I've got, when der next door nayber said his was up for sale "....etc etc
Our speech is being hijacked by lazy people who can't be bothered to use their tongues and pronounce words properly. Kids are talking in a kind of semi-language, part Jamaican patois, part sub-continental immigrant ( ' innit ' ) and part Vicky Pollard. They never handwrite anything. They don't construct sentences and paragraphs. Before long there will be a generational language gap, where the older generations will not have a clue what youngsters are on about. It will be like a secret society, where kids talking normally can't be understood by their parents and will get away with murder ( not literally ) which will widen the divide. We will be two races within our island. One will be a diminishing older generation, still speaking the Queen's English ,who will all be locked away, institutionalised, imprisoned by the younger generations, to stop them tainting this ' new speak ' They will be regarded with disdain and condemned to their final days of near solitude, reading the last great works of English literature, that they have smuggled into their ' rest homes ' Still writing the occasional letter with their frail hands, until eventually they are all gone, like the last Great War veterans and are just a thing of the past.
" I must go down to the sea again, the lonely sea and sky....."

Wise words and supported by an article in The Times this am that has employers bemoaning the fact that interviewees cannot write, cannot hold a conversation, fiddle with their phones and don't see a problem turning up late for interview.
A separate article found that turning off Facebook (I do not use) for a week made a good percentage happier and many actually did more 'real' interaction

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here