Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Pat Eddery

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Only 63, great jockey at a time when there so many great riders. In my younger days when I loved a punt, he certainly won me a few quid. His younger brother Robert was in the same class as me in school at Lewes Priory after coming over from Ireland. We put our pocket money together & managed to get on Grundy for the Derby in 75 I think it was. (A mate's Dad was disabled & the bookie used to let us place his bets for him; different days!)
RIP Pat

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No flipping way!

Though I'm not massively in to horse racing he was one of those sportsmen I grew up with, massively famous and successful. Another piece of my formative years gone.

My wife used to work in a snooker club in Oxfordshire when she was in her late teens. One day these two guys were playing in there. The club was empty so they were will looked after by my wife & her sister, partly this was because they were curious because the two of them were so short they had to keep using the rest. At the end of their game one of them told the girls to lump on a particular horse the next day. Not having any cash they didn't. A week or so later they told the manager the story and he checked the signing in book to find out it had been Pat and Paul Eddery and the horse had romped home :facepalm:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Legend.
Up top on the greatest horse to win the Arc & against the strongest field ever. Unbelievable finish to come around a wall of 10 in a row with a furlong to run and win going away. Sensational ride, never bettered
Saw him many times win the Sussex stakes and his rides on Golden Fleece & Pebbles were good pick ups

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Took him to Brighton races a few times.

RIP

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The only time i ever had the winner of the Derby - Quest for Fame 1990,a very fond memory RIP Pat Eddery

I won on him that day as well. Only went with him because Belmez had been withdrawn and he had beaten Quest narrowly earlier. He knew when to bring a horse did Eddery.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
There was an excellent programme on sky sports very recently where Pat Eddery, Willie Carson and Joe Mercer were looking back on their careers
He didn't look ill or anything then
Was useless betting on the gee gees and Pat Eddery probably cost me a few quid but was a top tough jockey

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Very sad. This guy won me fortunes when he won the St Leger on Moon Madness and the Arc on Dancing Brave. Top man. RIP

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
My biggest single win on one horse...

14s in the morning...ran around every bookies in town where stakes were limited as the rumour got out. Absolutely p1ssed up. Great ride, was never in doubt. Thanks Pat. RIP.

Capture.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here