Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] CHAIRMAN'S CHALLENGE FOR WOMEN'S FIXTURE AT THE AMEX

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Brighton & Hove Albion chairman Tony Bloom is challenging the club's fans to set a new domestic league attendance record for a women's league match.Albion women will play a historic first fixture at the American Express Community Stadium on Sunday 6th December, when they face Charlton Athletic in the Women's FA Premier League Southern Division.*
The current record, which is currently held by Manchester City, is the 3,180 who attended their Super League game against Notts County last month.*
The game will also make it a double-header between Albion and Charlton over that weekend, with the men's teams facing each other 24 hours earlier, on the Saturday.
Bloom said, "We would love to beat that attendance record when we play our first-ever women's game at the Amex later this year, and I hope our fans can help us achieve that.
"The interest in the club's women's team has seen significant growth in recent seasons, and that is credit to Tracy Doe, James Marrs and the team.
"The England women’s team‘s achievements in the recent World Cup, coupled with the success the women are having on the pitch this season, has seen the media give our club's women some well-deserved exposure.
"We are very determined to be playing in the Women's Super League, and with the structures Tracy and James have put in place I am confident we can achieve that.
"The football James's team produce is great to watch, and I hope a decent number of our fans will support the team at the Amex for the game on the 6th December."

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Albion women's chairman and club director Derek Chapman added, "This is my first season as chairman of the women's team, and I have really enjoyed it. I have been watching the Albion since the 1960s, but this is my first season regularly watching the women's team, and the football is great.
"We want to grow their support, and I hope the fans will support the women - they wear the stripes and the badge with such pride, and are doing us all proud this season.
"It's superb that we have this match at the Amex, but equally the Sussex County FA provide us with a brilliant facility at Culver Road.
"It is a great environment for both the team and for our supporters, and the football the women are producing is of a very high standard. I would ask fans to come and experience a game. Hopefully at least 50% will be back to see the women on a regular basis."
Albion and Charlton are near the top of the Southern Division, and both clubs have aspirations to make the step up to the Women's Super League.
There is only one place this season, which will be granted to the winners of a one-off play-off between the winners of the Premier League Southern and Northern divisions.
Tickets for the match against Charlton on Sunday 6th December are available free to season-ticket holders. For non season-ticket holders the prices are £4 for adults, £2 for under-18s and £10 for a family of four (two adults and two under-18s).Full ticket information can be found here.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here