Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much does he regret leaving Everton?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Has got a couple of big pay-offs for a few months work. Has a good reputation still so probably won't lack for job offers. He may have a few regrets but he's not the most hard done-by person in the world

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not much I wouldn't have thought. Got the chance to manage Manchester United – despite what you view of them, one of the biggest clubs in the world – and go abroad to work in a big League. Very few managers who could say they've done that.

Those gigs might not have worked out as he thought, but then I heard Phil Brown say today that the average length of a manager's job is now a mere 15 months. That's a lot more jobs for Moyes to have in his career.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bad timing. The Villa job would have suited him well.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For the wages and pay off I'm sure there are no money worries just the frustration of not winning titles

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did wonder how his somewhat prosaic hard working style of football would go down in Spain. Now I know.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not much I wouldn't have thought. Got the chance to manage Manchester United – despite what you view of them, one of the biggest clubs in the world – and go abroad to work in a big League. Very few managers who could say they've done that.

Those gigs might not have worked out as he thought, but then I heard Phil Brown say today that the average length of a manager's job is now a mere 15 months. That's a lot more jobs for Moyes to have in his career.

In the Championship it is now only 10 months.

#HughtonOut

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He will be philosophical, he is not a silly man and will acknowledge the absurdity of managerial merry-go-round.

He left Man Utd after 10 months with exactly the same skill sets that prompted them to sign him in the first place, not allowing oven chips on a Friday hardly makes his man management skills defunct.

He will as with all managers roll with the punches and wait for a decent offer from a club with managed expectations and deliver them some level of success, until a set of unforeseen circumstances either delivers him failure or success.

Football management is a job where its nearly impossible to gauge the skill or competence of that manager just by results, but its exactly those results that they will be judged, booed, cheered or ultimately sacked, they know it and thats why their exit clause if they have enough kudos left in the game to demand one is so important.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Talk about being damned with faint praise. ... " Moyes steered them to 12th place in La Liga ".... Out of 20 teams? Well done David! :))

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I did wonder how his somewhat prosaic hard working style of football would go down in Spain. Now I know.

I wouldn't read too much in to anyone getting sacked after a year at Real Sociedad. Moyes was there sixth manager in seven years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A mid table Premier vacancy will come up around January that will appeal to him and the club chairman. At the worst he would take a Championship side with potential Leeds, QPR or even Blackburn.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
I wouldn't read too much in to anyone getting sacked after a year at Real Sociedad. Moyes was there sixth manager in seven years.

I would.

2 years ago they were playing in the Champions League (ironically against Moyes' Manchester United). Though this was an over-achievement it gives an indication of what their squad should be aspiring to. That 2013-14 they finished 7th and qualified for the Europa League. The previous coach was sacked after a bad start to last season. Moyes has been dismissed as he's had exactly the same start as the other fellow had last year. I watched their game on TV last Friday and they were abysmal. I also saw his side towards the end of last season at my own team, Elche, where they were equally unimpressive. I've never seen any recognisable style of play from them since he joined, so in that sense they have been no better than they were under his predecessor.

Whilst Real Sociedad is a selling club, they actually strengthened in the summer by re-signing Illaramendi from Real Madrid and spending 7m on Jonathas from Elche - a striker he never seemed to want to use. He only ever seemed to want to bring in new players rather than get more out of the ones they already have - surely the true test of a decent coach? What's more that's completely against the philosophy of Real Sociedad which has a fantastic record of bringing through its own players.

They have some more than decent players in the two mentioned above plus Granero, Canales, Carlos Vela, Xabi Prieto so they should be aiming towards the European places rather than the relegation zone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fair point.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Fair point.

Would be, if I had not been comprehensively owned by this post.

I would.

2 years ago they were playing in the Champions League (ironically against Moyes' Manchester United). Though this was an over-achievement it gives an indication of what their squad should be aspiring to. That 2013-14 they finished 7th and qualified for the Europa League. The previous coach was sacked after a bad start to last season. Moyes has been dismissed as he's had exactly the same start as the other fellow had last year. I watched their game on TV last Friday and they were abysmal. I also saw his side towards the end of last season at my own team, Elche, where they were equally unimpressive. I've never seen any recognisable style of play from them since he joined, so in that sense they have been no better than they were under his predecessor.

Whilst Real Sociedad is a selling club, they actually strengthened in the summer by re-signing Illaramendi from Real Madrid and spending 7m on Jonathas from Elche - a striker he never seemed to want to use. He only ever seemed to want to bring in new players rather than get more out of the ones they already have - surely the true test of a decent coach? What's more that's completely against the philosophy of Real Sociedad which has a fantastic record of bringing through its own players.

They have some more than decent players in the two mentioned above plus Granero, Canales, Carlos Vela, Xabi Prieto so they should be aiming towards the European places rather than the relegation zone.

Excellent post, you clearly have watched more of their football than I have. I guess we will see in his next job, and how well his replacements does.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bad timing. The Villa job would have suited him well.

Yes it would, but football management being what it is. there will be plenty of other opportunities soon enough.

Difficult not to feel a bit sorry for the guy really, the Manchester United job was one that he couldn't afford to turn down, but also a poisoned chalice, albeit impossible to achieve the same degree of success as his predecessor, and with next to no time to do it in.

And as for the job in Spain, well, it's also very difficult, as past experience shows, for a British manager or player to make a success of a job in foreign climes.

I like David Moyes, one of the nicer guys in football, and I'm sure his time will come again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here