Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Robert Fidler's Castle - Demolish or Let him keep it?

Should Fidler's Fort be ****ed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A cheeky chappy just 'doing what was right for his family' & fighting the establishment to save his dream house or a snidey & devious little cockwomble hiding his building works behind a wall of hay then claiming 'no one objected' when justifying the building that had no planning permission.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34768763

NSC MUST decide! :smile:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Torn. Half of me thinks Me-h, let him keep it, but then you also open up a can of worms to every Tom Dick and Harry that wants to try and get away with similar.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
My Dad always says do not tell them anything. I fully support the guy and I hope the little dweebs that run local government will see likewise. Unfortunately local government is usually run by an unfortunate combination of part nerd, part ****

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this house tells you all need to know about why we have a housing crisis. a man cant build a 5 bed sized mock castle on a bloody farm yard, next to a massive barn, because its green belt.

he technically, albeit through a loophole, built the property and no one objected so should be allowed to keep it. of course he shouldnt need to hide it, such a building should have been waved through planning anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He blatantly broke the law so should have been bulldozed 7 years ago!

as i recall it he hadnt broken the law. if you built something and no one lodged a complaint for so many years, its was deemd to go beyond planning, or statute of limitations applied. yes, the law assumed that it was not concealed, so a cheeky loophole exploited (think they may have since changed the law)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not that sympathetic as I think he may be able to build a new house 'properly' judging by the yellow Bentley Continental GT V8 convertible, white Porsche Caymen R and at least three tanks parked in front of his house. :hilton: Must be a lot of money in farming . . . . . . .

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Keep it. It's been there for 15 years, on his own land, no neighbours have complained about it.

The council tax on the place is worth a decent amount of income for the local economy so it's a win win for the council.

Can't say he's a beautiful man so the poll is daft for suggesting something irrelevant.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
as i recall it he hadnt broken the law. if you built something and no one lodged a complaint for so many years, its was deemd to go beyond planning, or statute of limitations applied. yes, the law assumed that it was not concealed, so a cheeky loophole exploited (think they may have since changed the law)

The point is though that it wasn't a loophole, never was - that's why he's being forced to demolish it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm amazed any of you think it's ok for him to keep it. You're saying people should be able to build what they like, despite knowing they're not allowed to. It's ridiculous, of course it should be knocked down.

Our housing shortage isn't going to be fixed by this one property. If you think that was should just build thousands of homes on the green-belt, then vote for a party that supports that (if there's one crazy enough). Personally I like our green and pleasant land and don't want people building in the green belt willy nilly.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My Dad always says do not tell them anything. I fully support the guy and I hope the little dweebs that run local government will see likewise. Unfortunately local government is usually run by an unfortunate combination of part nerd, part ****

Would you like it if someone bought the house next door to you, knocked it down and put a 20 storey office block in its place without seeking permission?

He can't even plead ignorance. He's a devious p1llock.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Can't say he's a beautiful man so the poll is daft for suggesting something irrelevant.

Fair cop!

1278528120-themullet_2_.png

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Rules are rules. There needs to be proper process to build, even on your own land. How many of those supporting him would not want to see their neighbours build in their garden! Irrelevant about no one complaining because no one is going to complain about a hay stack on a farm!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm amazed any of you think it's ok for him to keep it. You're saying people should be able to build what they like, despite knowing they're not allowed to. It's ridiculous, of course it should be knocked down.

Our housing shortage isn't going to be fixed by this one property. If you think that was should just build thousands of homes on the green-belt, then vote for a party that supports that (if there's one crazy enough). Personally I like our green and pleasant land and don't want people building in the green belt willy nilly.

Absolutely. Planning rules are there to protect us all. The people who are saying we shouldn't have them may not be so sanguine if an office block went up in front of their house

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I dealt with him a few times when I was in the police. The bloke is an absolute cvnt!
However, the house is in the middle of nowhere so what is the problem, not causing anyone any problems even though he did build it without permission, is it really necessary to knock it down...no way!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Rules are rules. There needs to be proper process to build, even on your own land. How many of those supporting him would not want to see their neighbours build in their garden! Irrelevant about no one complaining because no one is going to complain about a hay stack on a farm!

Exactly and this is what the Supreme Court decided - development wasn't completed until the straw bales were removed and the 'four year rule' commences from that point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here