Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Bensgrandad

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The rumour was from someone you met whilst looking after a pub, allegedly. No real roundation and caused some comsiderable grief as you posted it.

I heard a rumour a couple of weeks ago but I checked it out with a couple of PMs abd it seemed just a rumour and not true.

So I didn't post it - no offence caused.

You did post and caused considerable angst.

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
What a load of cobblers BG.

Maybe there should be a seperate board for rumours.

I cannot believe that just as our season gets going we are discussing a load of cock.

Read your Albion history books. Our club has not had a pot to piss in for over 100 years. We never will.
Its all about faith and enjoyment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brighton till i die said:
eh eh eh calm down eh!!

f***ing hell this is all very personal!:rolleyes:

Hardly surprising though.

BG made a very stupid post IMHO

Lush

Mods' Pet
Beach Hut said:

AND took the trouble to phone Ian Hart on the Fans Phone In, just in case any non-internet users missed it.

Surely if you were 'checking a rumour" there are better and less public ways to do it?

:angry: :angry: :angry:

We all know that the Albion - like most clubs - is barely solvent (although we don't have massive debts like some).

What do you think the solution is?

Falmer?

I agree. Then we should all do everything possible to make sure it happens rather than spreading unsubstantiated rumours around.

I suggest that you have never forgiven Dick Knight for his comments at Southwick. You seem to still be harbouring a massive grudge. You also seem to thrive on gossip and story-telling, as befits a pub landlord (your Lifelines tale is yet another example, and totally irrelevant to this thread).

While gossip has its place - hey especially on NSC! - we really don't need this kind of unsubstantiated gossip at this time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Hut said:
The rumour was from someone you met whilst looking after a pub, allegedly. No real roundation and caused some comsiderable grief as you posted it.

I heard a rumour a couple of weeks ago but I checked it out with a couple of PMs abd it seemed just a rumour and not true.

So I didn't post it - no offence caused.

You have only heard one thing he said which it appears is rubbish I heard the entire conversation and many things that we spoke of I knew to be correct because of my association with Surrey FA.

On this occassion it appears that I misread the situation as regards this gentleman but where do newspapers get their information from and where do the police get most of their leads from idle gossip, some of it true and some not on this occassions it appears that it wasn't

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
:( i cant remember what he said now! what did he say about the cardiff money then??

or is it all hush hush etc

All the prize money, from the three divisions, went to Palace.

Cos they won the MAIN play-off final that weekend.

Trust me, it's gospel.

Read all about it in yer Croydon Advertiser tomorrow.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
You have only heard one thing he said which it appears is rubbish I heard the entire conversation and many things that we spoke of I knew to be correct because of my association with Surrey FA.

On this occassion it appears that I misread the situation as regards this gentleman but where do newspapers get their information from and where do the police get most of their leads from idle gossip, some of it true and some not on this occassions it appears that it wasn't

OK seeing as you're "friend" knows so much post them on this board and ask the club if they are true.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
For what it's worth I am as much of a 'whistle blower' now as I was in '97, at the risk of repeating myself neither Paul nor I am paid by the club and we both buy season tickets like everyone else. I don't see what there is to blow the whistle about.

Personally, too, I am sick and tired of speculation about which rich businessman
might or might not ride over the horizon. It's boring!

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
BensGrandad said:

Yes, but you'd expect the half-decent ones to make a check or several first before blabbing.

Okay, maybe very naive about most.
But still.
Hmm.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:
The phrase 'I have heard a rumour...' actually has little or no value. It is used as an excuse to justify a claim or allegation for or against a given cause without needing to present any credible evidence. It is certainly NOT excusable in a law court when it comes to libel or slander.

This isn't specifically aimed at Bens Grandad, but to anyone operating on any given platform.

However, Harty, I have no doubt that BG is a genuine Albion fan and that he did help you - but this isn't what it's about. At the very least, to put out the statement 'has anybody else heard the rumour that...' without being able to back it up is extremely thoughtless. They clearly hadn't thought through the repercussions of what making this statement might entail.

However, in this instance, bearing what BG has stated in the past, and his clear dislike of the current regime, I think that it is an extremely spiteful thing to say.

So, it boils down to - did BG broadcast this statement with the purpose of undermining the present board, or did he say it without really thinking? He CANNOT hide behind the 'I have heard a rumour...' line because it just won't wash. There may be another - genuine - reason, and I would be interested to know WHY he said it.

I, for one (and I honestly don't know how many would agree), feel slightly insulted that one can make a claim like this, with no credible evidence, and then disown it once pilloried, saying 'it wasn't me, it was just a rumour...'

That sums up what I feel about the whole thing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
attila said:
For what it's worth I am as much of a 'whistle blower' now as I was in '97, at the risk of repeating myself neither Paul nor I am paid by the club and we both buy season tickets like everyone else. I don't see what there is to blow the whistle about.

Personally, too, I am sick and tired of speculation about which rich businessman
might or might not ride over the horizon. It's boring!

Know what you mean.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
The Large One said:
Have you put that in tomorrow's Arsegas as well? :p

Tch tch. As if.
Nah.
Am very, very careful about any Albion stories nowadays.

Stick to safe territory of, er, trashing other suggested stadium sites / trashing those old pink shirts / explaining bus company fiascos / and, er, good ol' Norm's contributions. . . [anticipate brickbats]

Oh, and misquoting NSCers' finely-crafted soundbites, of course. . .

:p yerself. . .
:)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
SussexSpur said:
Tch tch. As if.
Nah.
Am very, very careful about any Albion stories nowadays.

Stick to safe territory of, er, trashing other suggested stadium sites / trashing those old pink shirts / explaining bus company fiascos / and, er, good ol' Norm's contributions. . . [anticipate brickbats]

Oh, and misquoting NSCers' finely-crafted soundbites, of course. . .

:p yerself. . .
:)

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
So that clears that up, Brian was sold a pup as was the other person who heard the alleged piece of gossip. All is now rosy in the garden, the Albion have had their Cardiff money and we can now look forward to a long and succesful season.
Why does NSC have to constantly publish slurs against various individuals? We all support the Albion and want what's best for them, perhaps some people should remember that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Harty said:
So that clears that up, Brian was sold a pup as was the other person who heard the alleged piece of gossip. All is now rosy in the garden, the Albion have had their Cardiff money and we can now look forward to a long and succesful season.
Why does NSC have to constantly publish slurs against various individuals? We all support the Albion and want what's best for them, perhaps some people should remember that.

A slur is deserved if not true, easy new code for NSC:

Think before you post - not hard is it

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Harty said:

Admire the rose-tinted specs, Harty, but no-one stuck a gun to Brian's head and told him to slur the present incumbent. A promise of a little more thought on BG's behalf wouldn't go amiss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here