Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Bensgrandad

D

Deleted User X18H

attila said:
I have it on very good authority that Bens Grandad is Brian Lisher. He used to run a pub in Mid Sussex somewhere. He has spent years criticising everything everyone has been doing. Take everything he says with Siberian sized salt mines full of the stuff.
Irrespective of what he has done said I think it is totally inappopriate to put peoples names on here especially after all the Dwayne pms

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
:( i cant remember what he said now! what did he say about the cardiff money then??

or is it all hush hush etc
He said he'd heard 'rumblings' that the FA had withheld some of the play-off money and were going to investigate the club for financial irregularities. (He was semi-backed up by another poster called Jim D who said he'd heard that tickets had been tampered with).
When pressed he finally admitted his source was an elderly gentleman from the Lincolnshire FA who he'd met in a pub! He didn't know who he was but the locals all vouched for him - so that was alright then.

See the thread 'Club Finances' for the REAL position (or the false position given out by Knight and his lackeys in the Football League if you're of the same persuasion as BensGrandad)

As well as posting these 'rumblings' on here he also mentioned them on the radio phone-in apparently (I didn't hear it so I can't comment). As he's now been exposed as a lying fraud we're all waiting to see what he's got to say for himself. Unsurprisingly he's gone quiet although they are 'rumblings' he's re-registered as another user (Spey House or something)

Hove Band B. No, in this instance it's fully justified. It's been verging on libel and we need to know who we are dealing with.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I think you are all being a little bit unfair here, Brian is a dyed in the wool Albion fan and was huge supporter of the Gulls Eye team when we had both our financial and legal problems.
To be fair since Monday's phone-in I have had the same rumour put to me by someone not only very close to the club but also someone who would be viewed as 'credible' by the likes of Paul and Atilla.
I sincerely hope it is rubbish, a smoke screen put up by the anti-Falmer brigade, but don't start slating good Albion people off on NSC just because you don't like what they say.
The bottom line is Brian Lisher loves the Albion and only wants what is best for the club, as we all do.

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak

The bottom line is Brian Lisher loves the Albion and only wants what is best for the club, as we all do. [/B]

And a good bit of networking to further any business venture one may be involved in.:glare:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Harty said:
I think you are all being a little bit unfair here, Brian is a dyed in the wool Albion fan and was huge supporter of the Gulls Eye team when we had both our financial and legal problems.
To be fair since Monday's phone-in I have had the same rumour put to me by someone not only very close to the club but also someone who would be viewed as 'credible' by the likes of Paul and Atilla.
I sincerely hope it is rubbish, a smoke screen put up by the anti-Falmer brigade, but don't start slating good Albion people off on NSC just because you don't like what they say.
The bottom line is Brian Lisher loves the Albion and only wants what is best for the club, as we all do.

Harty read this thread by Insider.

Club Finances

The Orange Seagull

Time Traveller
Jul 8, 2004
Stuck in the 80's
I think all the bickering on here is mainly occuring because everyone is getting bloody well peed off with how long this falmer business is taking!
its getting beyond a joke now!
Anyone agree?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Harty said:

Er...so show goes out on Monday. Afterwards someone close to the club says "so what's all this about BHA not getting their Cardiff money?"

Well give me a dirty raincoat and call me Columbo....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The reason that I haven't replied is nothing to do with me avoiding the issue as that is something (sorry pushed the wrong key) that I would never do and anybody that knows me would agree. If something has to be said say it as you see it is my motto.

I have maintained that all along it was a rumour that I heard and was asking if anybody else had heard this rumour and if there was any posibility of there being any truth in it.

Like all Albion fans I would love us to get permission to build Falmer, find the funds to build it and then eventually get into the premiership but I dont think that all three are going to happen.

I am not in the least worried that John Baine should see fit to disclose my name at least he has proved to many that I am not Greg Stanley.

I am proud to be a supporter of Brighton and Hove Albion and proud that I cannot be easily bought with the offer of a job I have principals which obviously some of you may not agree with.

I have always maintained that Dick Knight has done well for the club but am concerned about his ability to take us to the next step due to his lack of finance.

At that fans meeting at Southwick FC when I had beer thrown over me and I was physically abused because I had the termerity(sp) to suggest that DK had sucked everybody under his wing with promises that other people in football had assured me he didnt have the money to do.

I wrote to every Club Chairman in the Football League about the saga with A ,B & S a large number of whom replied and more than one expressed concern that we were jumping out of the frying pan into the fire due to DK financial state. Incidentally I also spoke with 3 different people who had tried to buy the club from Archer but he had said the club is not for sale.

I will be the first to admit that Dk has surpassed my expectations with employing managers who have won us three promotions yes managers and players not DK.

My reason for this post was that it was a rumour that I had heard which could undermine our future. I wondered if anybody else had heard a similar rumour or indeed if there was any truth in it.

The people that used to look into such rumours have been 'bought' off by the club. Is is an old trick in business if you have a trouble maker on the shop floor make him a boss and get him on your side. This is what has happened within this club.

As somebbdoy mentioned earlier about the VAT due on the money from Archer have we paid it or is the VAT man going to come knocking. Why does FBS have to keep baIling the club out with paying wages etc is this all down to the cost of FALMER.

I believe that the club is in a far worse financial state than we are lead to believe and that our future existence is in grave doubt. Perhaps I am over re-acting would someone please try to convince me otherwise?

If anybody wishes to argue with me I would be pleased to answer but I am working at the moment and consequently it may take a little time for me to reply should I get called to the bar.

Last edited:
BensGrandad said:
The reason that I haven't replied is notjhing to do with me avoiding the issue as that is something O

Good to have you back, BG. Ignore the witch-hunt against you.

Didn't agree with what you wrote but sooner or later that rumour would have emerged publically and the club would have had to have dealt with it.

Just hope you concentrate your NSC efforts more on writing about the team's performance where you speak a lot of sense at times.

Lush

Mods' Pet
BensGrandad said:

I believe that the club is in a far worse financial state than we are lead to believe and that our future existence is in grave doubt.

I think the first is probably true - we do NOT have a pot to piss in every day that we spend at Withdean. As is the second - along with pretty much every Football League club.

But scare stories about play-off final money with a source of "the man in the pub" are not helping anybody. You claim to love the club. Why can you not put a lid on your evident personal dislike of Dick Knight and support him? He is our ONLY chance of getting to Falmer - and your half-baked rumours are merely playing into the NIMBY's hands.

I do realise the cheap thrill of this kind of gossip and intrigue but your timing is CACK.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
i think a lot of people have been very unfair on BG.

he did state that his original thread was a rumour and was asking if anyone else had heard the same... we get this sort of thing everyday on nsc.

as for saying that there is no-one taking up the position that paul and attila used to be in of looking into things at the club they thought weren't right and blowing the whistle, he is absolutely right.

whether you think we need these sorts of people or not at present, we don't have them. i think people are very quick to jump on everything this man has to say, somewhat unfairly.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Raphael Meade said:

as for saying that there is no-one taking up the position that paul and attila used to be in of looking into things at the club they thought weren't right and blowing the whistle, he is absolutely right.

whether you think we need these sorts of people or not at present, we don't have them.

We don't because people with the kind of intelligence, knowledge and passion of Paul Samrah and Attila can't see a MAJOR PROBLEM with the directors currently running our beloved club.

It is the only the stupid rumour-mongers, professional whingers and jealous people who have an interest in seeing Dick Knight fail for one reason or another who are raising concerns.

FFS - if EVER there was a time when Albion fans had to stick together, it's now.

I am sorry for the personal comments but I am now VERY CROSS!!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Lush said:
We don't because people with the kind of intelligence, knowledge and passion of Paul Samrah and Attila can't see a MAJOR PROBLEM with the directors currently running our beloved club.

It is the only the stupid rumour-mongers, professional whingers and jealous people who have an interest in seeing Dick Knight fail for one reason or another who are raising concerns.

FFS - if EVER there was a time when Albion fans had to stick together, it's now.

I am sorry for the personal comments but I am now VERY CROSS!!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

i agree with you entirely!! i was just pointing out that factually, ben's grandad was correct.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Come on people, when I heard BG on SCR with the rumour (and he did stress it was a rumour) about the play-off cash, my instance reaction was "that's bollocks", and that is still my opinion.

Let's face it, news about the clubs dire financial state is not really news as they have been at varying levels of crapness for all of the 18 odd years that I've been a supporter. This isn't going to improve until well after we're actually in our new home. In the meantime the club owners just do what most other clubs owners at all levels of the game do and dig in their own pockets to keep the club going.

We're not Man U or Arsenal, we don't turn a profit. But that doesn't mean we're going to fold imminently.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have posted on the thread Clubs Finances to advise Insider that his assumption of a name is totally wrong.

I would re-iterate I neither like nor dislike DK as a man and respect what the men he has employed to do a job have done.

My only conversation with him was at the night at Southwick FC when his words were, when I questioned him about having sufficient money to buy Worthing but not a football league club was to say 'Who is this idiot get him off'.

I would also add that at no time have I ever suggested either directly or indirectly that any person within the club is or has misapproriated any money belonging to either the club or any party of which they are agents.

The origin of this thread has been proved that the people who used to investigate the goings on at the club no longer exist if they did this RUMOUR would have been quelled in a very short time.

If people wish to carry on a witch hunt against me because I say about things that I hear so be it I cannot do anything about that.

Some years ago when the Lifeline first started I was told bya Brighton Official that I would win the £1000 for that month some 3 weeks before it happened. When the Saturday of the draw arrived the draw was hekd in the centre circle of The Goldstone and duly my name was called out as the winner beacuse I had been asking questions about an old lady whol ived in Sompting and held a number of shares.

I cashed the cheque and sent the money to Brighton Childrens Hospital because I couldnt be bought although the money would have come in handy.

I must point out that this was not during the reign of either the present board or indeed Archer Bellotti and Stanley. I am not seeking praise opr anything so stupid but just pointing out that even when needing the money I cannot be bought to the detriment of Brighton & Hove Albion.

To answer another point in the thread Club Finances Paul Scally did come and see me in my pub to discuss BHA but unfortunately although his first wife was the daughter of a Brighton player and as such he had a liking for Brighton he belived that A B S were our best options and I disagreed with him. I have not been in contact with him since.

Everything that I say and do is without doubt with the best interests of BHA and us supporters foremost.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
Everything that I say and do is without doubt with the best interests of BHA and us supporters foremost.

I don't think the club somehow share your view on your latest escapade.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Hut said:
I don't think the club somehow share your view on your latest escapade.

Why?

If I hadn't said it somebody else would and the club have now been able to dispell the rumour as rubbish with no truth whatsoever.

So in effect they have come out of it without any damage done by inuendos and mutterings.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The phrase 'I have heard a rumour...' actually has little or no value. It is used as an excuse to justify a claim or allegation for or against a given cause without needing to present any credible evidence. It is certainly NOT excusable in a law court when it comes to libel or slander.

This isn't specifically aimed at Bens Grandad, but to anyone operating on any given platform.

However, Harty, I have no doubt that BG is a genuine Albion fan and that he did help you - but this isn't what it's about. At the very least, to put out the statement 'has anybody else heard the rumour that...' without being able to back it up is extremely thoughtless. They clearly hadn't thought through the repercussions of what making this statement might entail.

However, in this instance, bearing what BG has stated in the past, and his clear dislike of the current regime, I think that it is an extremely spiteful thing to say.

So, it boils down to - did BG broadcast this statement with the purpose of undermining the present board, or did he say it without really thinking? He CANNOT hide behind the 'I have heard a rumour...' line because it just won't wash. There may be another - genuine - reason, and I would be interested to know WHY he said it.

I, for one (and I honestly don't know how many would agree), feel slightly insulted that one can make a claim like this, with no credible evidence, and then disown it once pilloried, saying 'it wasn't me, it was just a rumour...'

Didn't Cullip play a lot better in Leicester, BG?

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here