Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Athletics doping scandal - 2PM KO

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
A report into systematic doping by an independent commission led by the superbly named Dick Pound is set to be released at 2PM today and it looks like the outcome of this is going to be pretty explosive, with claims that it makes FIFA's corruption scandal look tame. Russia are the main targets of this report, and they could be facing a ban from world athletics as a result of the publication.

A German documentary released last year claimed that '99%' of Russian athletes were guilty of doping whilst 2010 London Marathon winner Liliya Shobukhova admitted paying the Russian Athletics Federation £350k to cover a positive doping test in the same programme, leading to her titles being stripped and her results expunged.

A former Russian Anti-Doping Agency employee also alleged that 'leading Russian athletics officials supplied banned substances in exchange for 5% of an athlete's earnings and colluded with doping control officers to hush up and falsify tests'.

The Sunday Times obtained results of 12,000 blood tests from 5,000 athletes between 2001 and 2012 and reportedly found that:

A third of medals (146, including 55 golds) in endurance events at the Olympics and World Championships between 2001 and 2012 were won by athletes who have recorded suspicious tests. It is claimed none of these athletes have been stripped of their medals.

More than 800 athletes - one in seven of those named in the files - have recorded blood tests described by one of the experts as "highly suggestive of doping or at the very least abnormal".

A top UK athlete is among seven Britons with suspicious blood scores.

British athletes - including Olympic champion heptathlete Jessica Ennis-Hill - have lost out in major events to competitors who were under suspicion.

Ten medals at London 2012 were won by athletes who have dubious test results.

In some finals, every athlete in the three medal positions had recorded a suspicious blood test.

Russia emerges as "the blood testing epicentre of the world" with more than 80% of the country's medals won by suspicious athletes, while Kenya had 18 medals won by suspicious athletes.

Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results.

Athletes are increasingly using blood transfusions and EPO micro-doses to boost the red cell count.

I wonder what we are going to find out from this ???

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Russia is a country entirely infected with lying, cheating, corrupt bullies. Hardly surprising given that the country is effectively governed by a form of state mafia with its biggest gangster as head of state.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess we should be grateful Russia only ever doped athletics.

Imagine if it's governing bodies used any of the banned products or knowledge gained to try and influence any other sports.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Russia is a country entirely infected with lying, cheating, corrupt bullies. Hardly surprising given that the country is effectively governed by a form of state mafia with its biggest gangster as head of state.

And absolute arrogant queue jumping tossers in The 3 Valleys. And homophobic.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
There should be an Olympic Games and a Drugs Olympics. Snorted.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
So if its state sponsored drug taking are the football team doped up?

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was really worried for the future of athletics but thankfully the Russians have come out and said it's all a big mistake and they've done nothing wrong.

That's all sorted then :thumbsup:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
How is that sorted? Those in the Olympic games would still dope to win.

The Drugs Olympics would be sponsored by Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline and international tobacco companies and would offer astronomical prize purses.

Anyway, I said 'snorted', not 'sorted'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Drugs Olympics would be sponsored by Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline and international tobacco companies and would offer astronomical prize purses.
And athletes in the non drug Olympics would still cheat.

Anyway, I said 'snorted', not 'sorted'.
I know what you said. It was a play on words, and you meant sorted.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And the World Cup is still going to be held there

Incredibly, yes ! Mr Putin will have to double his bribes to keep it now.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
And athletes in the non drug Olympics would still cheat.

Ah, yes, but there would be far fewer of them and it would be much easier to police.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Collectively Russians it seems have no shame. Even when confronted with overwhelming evidence of its state sponsored universal cheating, lying, interfering and intimidation the Russians still ridiculously claim it is all lies and that someone else is responsible and they are innocent. What a country of utter bellends, Russia is a cancer against fair play. They are a nation of compulsive liars, they lied in Ukraine, at FIFA, in Syria, at the Olympics in fact in any international event of sport or politics you can count on the Russians to just lie out of their arses, it seems to be a national disease.

How anyone can support the next World Cup there I cannot fathom, I will not have anything to do with it I couldn't care less if England make the final, its completely worthless.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here