Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Log burner / wood burner etc advice please

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Hello wise men of NSC

I have done a quick search of the threads and find no historic one on this subject

Any advice / recommendations for buying & installing a wood burner / multifuel burner ?

Any showrooms to go to or avoid etc

ta

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've just ordered a Morso one for my new place, after some research. It probably helped that one of their two UK sales offices is within a few miles of me.

Everyone I spoke to said that getting the chimney lined was pretty much essential - it adds about a grand or so to the total cost.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I've just ordered a Morso one for my new place, after some research. It probably helped that one of their two UK sales offices is within a few miles of me.

Everyone I spoke to said that getting the chimney lined was pretty much essential - it adds about a grand or so to the total cost.

I think its mandatory due to building regs or something. Log burners are superb. Really efficient too.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Are there laws about having them in first floor flats, or flats at all for that matter?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Had a Yeomans CL5 installed last month. I got a fair few quotes but settled on Todd Williams (the Fire installer) based in Brighton. He came out, recommended a stove and installed . He was happy to install a stove purchased from elsewhere. Would recommend his work.

Last edited:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The main thing is to invest in a good quality stove and ensure it is properly fitted.

We had a Morso Squirrel fitted in our lounge 15 years ago and have very much enjoyed it - although I've subsequently found that it was botch installed and I hadn't learned how to operate it correctly - embarrassinglyt I hadn't even spotted the secondary air control knob, yet alone how to use it!

We've now refurbished the squirrel and had it reinstalled properly - and have also bought an Aarrow Ecoburn 5 for the dining room that is the central room in the house. Early days but the Ecoburn seems to be superb and is making a real difference to the warmth of the house and the amount of time the central heating feels the need to come on. The new stove worked out at just over £2k all in - stove, flue and installation. It;s also cost around £1300 to refurbish the Squirrel and reinstall it.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005

Before we had ours done I was bewildered by the conflicting and equally vehement opinions on this. In the end I took the advice of the (HETAS registered) installer who after inspecting the chimney said it wasn't necessary. Woodburner (Woodwarm Fireview 6.5kw) draws fantastically, and the sweep always reports the chimney in good shape after his annual visit...although we make a point of only burning very well seasoned wood.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
We got a Charnwood 4, really happy with it. If you've got a bigger room to heat and go above 5kw you're going to need some ventiliation (airbrick or something like that) putting in.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
great even the smallest ones give out lot of heat. However think big as poss which will allow bigger logs which means less frequent filling.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I've had a Charnwood 'Country' multi fuel stove for 6 years and it has been excellent. A great focal point and provides decent heat - a nice supplement or alternative to central heating etc.

I mostly burn seasoned logs, but occasionally use 'e-coal' for a change. It is surprising how long the latter will burn for if set up right. Do look out for deals on kiln dried logs and coal and stock up in Spring/Summer ready for the following Autumn / Winter.

In my experience there is a range of mostly common sense matters to consider:

As with other installations such as boilers and solar panels it is important to avoid cutting corners, do some research, identify a competent / accredited installer / get them to survey the suitability of your site. Then buy a decent stove, use the stove in accordance with the manufacturers instructions and keep it clean / well maintained.

A competent installer should have a proven record of safe and efficient installations and a preferably a portfolio of past work you can view. HETAS accreditation should also keep your insurers happy, if in doubt check. You cannot be certain of the integrity of the flue even in new-ish properties so some remedial work may be necessary, this and a properly installed quality flue liner should protect against flammable deposits soaking into the structure.

Burn seasoned logs a) to get the cleanest burn b) reduce the accumulation of flammable deposits c) always get the stove / flue regularly swept by a competent chimney sweep, even if you have a quality flue liner.

Have an appropriate cowl fitted to allow the stove to draw effectively in your typical local weather conditions and to stop ingress of wildlife.

Many stoves require an air brick or open trickle vent in the same room to allow sufficient airflow for the stove to draw efficiently and avoid accumulation of fumes due to incomplete combustion. The competent installer should advise on this before installation.

Should be a solid hearth with enough of an apron to contain any hot ash and have a suitable metal companion set (metal tongs etc) close to hand.

Stoves are generally safer than traditional open fires but do give serious thought to the potential for persons and pets coming into contact with a very hot stove. A fire guard may be necessary if there are children / elderly persons. Plus it's not a good idea to have a mirror above a live fire place.

Finally it's a sensible idea to have a carbon monoxide detector for further assurance.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Had our wood burner installed a couple of months ago and has been fantastic. We used Hanover builders Wood burner installations who were great, gave impartial advice about what I needed for the installation and felt there was no upselling going on. We opted for a basic Saltfire ST2 5W which gives out lots of heat (be careful about what heat power you go for as you can end up heating up the room too much. I also went for a liner just for added safety but they are happy to install it without a liner if you have had your chimney checked (takes about £700 off the bill)

I was thinking about doing it myself but with the hassle of having to get in building control that worked out quite expensive and trying to feed a heavy liner down a chimney (they did not need scaffolding) I thought it was best to get in the experts. I saved money by preparing the fireplace opening and hearth myself.

Also not to hijack your thread but wondered where everyone gets there wood from. I managed to get a tonne bag for £50 but the wood was not really seasoned enough (between 25 - 30% moisture) so wanted to find a better supplier.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
we got one of these.

http://www.woodburningstovesdirect.com/product/145/vienna-5kw-multifuel-stove.htm

One of my best mates is a chimney sweep/fire installation chap and recommended them. Great performance, and v cheap. Had ours for about a year now and love it. It's worth treating the inside of your chimney if you want to avoid that damp streak that you often see running down the side of houses. This is caused by the hot air in the woodburner flue reacting with the cooler air in the chimney and causing condensation.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The flue will cost a lot more than the wood burner if you need a double skinned one.

Buying in Europe is worth it, you save loads esp with the weak Euro..

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Had our wood burner installed a couple of months ago and has been fantastic. We used Hanover builders Wood burner installations who were great, gave impartial advice about what I needed for the installation and felt there was no upselling going on. We opted for a basic Saltfire ST2 5W which gives out lots of heat (be careful about what heat power you go for as you can end up heating up the room too much. I also went for a liner just for added safety but they are happy to install it without a liner if you have had your chimney checked (takes about £700 off the bill)

I was thinking about doing it myself but with the hassle of having to get in building control that worked out quite expensive and trying to feed a heavy liner down a chimney (they did not need scaffolding) I thought it was best to get in the experts. I saved money by preparing the fireplace opening and hearth myself.

Also not to hijack your thread but wondered where everyone gets there wood from. I managed to get a tonne bag for £50 but the wood was not really seasoned enough (between 25 - 30% moisture) so wanted to find a better supplier.

I have used www.certainlywood.co.uk for kiln dried logs but can be pricey if you cannot wait for one of their bulk offers. I guess it's probably a bit late for this year now we are entering the peak demand but do look for deals next Spring. Of course it's a waste of money splashing out on kiln dried logs if you haven't anywhere properly dry to store them............

At other times I collect ordinary seasoned logs from a local sawmill, which is better value - and then set these aside for a couple of extra months seasoning.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Try WH supplies at Ford near Arundel .they have showrooms you can wander around .They have a really good selection. It is the flu that costs the money.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here