Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should MK Dons have been awarded a penalty?

Should MK Dons have been awarded a penalty?

• Yes - should have been a penalty

Votes: 76 83.5%
  • No - Dunk got the ball first

Votes: 15 16.5%

• Total voters

North Stand Polls

Feb 25, 2015
Should it have been given?

Did Lewis Dunk get the slightest of touches on the ball before clattering the man?

MK Dons penalty.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Where's the option for "It was a clear foul, but no, MK Dons should NOT have been awarded a penalty, as their abomination of a club shoul not exist, thus awarding them a penalty ought to be impossible"?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Clear cut for me

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have no idea as it was up the 'wrong' end but my heart was in my mouth. When he went to the linesman I thought it was going to be given! It would have been criminal to have drawn that game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Should it have been given?

Did Lewis Dunk get the slightest of touches on the ball before clattering the man?

View attachment 69873
From seeing the replay (several times) looks stonewall Would have been a travesty if it had robbed us of two points though - no way did MK Dons deserve a draw. That still pic. - maybe not. Anyway, it wasn't given. Match over - move on.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Carruthers was not in control of the ball. The same as the Chelsea incident. (It is difficult/different with a speed merchant chasing the ball though.) Diffeent from the Southampton penalty when the fouled player was in control.

It much easier live as I immediatley thought the MKDons player had lost the ball and I was surprised that at the collision.

Like CH says "I've seen penalties given".

Almost 100% I agree with the CH comments post-game. Nothing controversial though.

Last edited:

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Thought it was a blatant penalty at the time sitting level in the Lower West and was proved to be spot on with the replays on Channel 5.
I would suggest spectacles to the people who thought it wasn`t a penalty.

It was almost as blatant as the one Sunderland gave away on Saturday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the time I thought no, watching the video I changed my mind but on reflection was the ref correct that Dunk had won the ball, didnt he give a corner which helps the refs view. I have seen them given for less obvious fouls though. So perhaps a little lucky, which you get when near the top but dont when near relegation.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Getting a touch on the ball isn't enough to make it ok to slide in and take a man out.

Getting the ball first, to put it out for a corner, when the player is not in control of the ball, is. That's how the linesman must have seen it when the ref consulted him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Getting a touch on the ball isn't enough to make it ok to slide in and take a man out.

Of course.

But as the referee didn't award a penalty and neither did he book the attacker for simulation, surely the only conclusion that can be drawn is he believed Dunk played both the ball and the man fairly.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It was a nailed on penalty, but given the fact we were against MK Dons and Karl Robinson I really can't muster any sympathy.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Of course.

But as the referee didn't award a penalty and neither did he book the attacker for simulation, surely the only conclusion that can be drawn is he believed Dunk played both the ball and the man fairly.

Not necessarily. There is also the attitude that you can only give a penalty if you are absolutely certain. He might have been unsure, and decided that as he isn't sure he had to not give the penalty.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here