Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Boxing

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Despite the fragmented array of World champions as opposed to the traditional 8 champions over 8 weights, British boxing appears to be on the up, some big fights coming up in the next few weeks with 2016 looking to be potentially a golden year for the sport.

But will Tyson Fury start the new year as heavyweight champion of the world?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Despite the fragmented array of World champions as opposed to the traditional 8 champions over 8 weights, British boxing appears to be on the up, some big fights coming up in the next few weeks with 2016 looking to be potentially a golden year for the sport.

As a sport of the masses, British boxing seems to me to be in terminal decline. Back in the day, Benn, Eubanks, Honeyghan, Herrol Graham, Bruno, McGuigan et al were household names - their fights would be discussed in workplaces throughout the land the morning after their fights...............but those fights were mostly on free-to-view on terrestrial TV.

Then British boxing sold out to Sky and PPV. Boxers are no longer household names - outside the hardcore fight fans, I don't think many people care. I've just about heard of Tyson Fury, for example, but have never seen him and have no idea if he is likely to become world champion (or one of them) or not. For many of us, boxing just lost it by selling out.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

You tell us, you must have BOXED more people than George Foreman.(although I've heard most of them were stiffs.)

Edit: eh, eh? You've never heard that joke before 'ave ya?:facepalm:

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
In terms of strength in depth I can't remember a stronger time for British boxing. It would be great if at least one of them would take over the mantle of Prince Naz, Calzaghe, Lewis or Hatton as bona fide superstars.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

You know I PREDICTED Tyson would be World Champion whilst you and OTHERS were telling me that big STIFF David Price would BEAT him, I'm not going to DESERT my man now.

Hopefully Degale beats Bute so Callum Smith can shut him up once and for all, Crolla beats Perez to right that wrong and Joshua fights someone who is going to give him a test maybe Whyte will ?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
As a sport of the masses, British boxing seems to me to be in terminal decline. Back in the day, Benn, Eubanks, Honeyghan, Herrol Graham, Bruno, McGuigan et al were household names - their fights would be discussed in workplaces throughout the land the morning after their fights...............but those fights were mostly on free-to-view on terrestrial TV.

Then British boxing sold out to Sky and PPV. Boxers are no longer household names - outside the hardcore fight fans, I don't think many people care. I've just about heard of Tyson Fury, for example, but have never seen him and have no idea if he is likely to become world champion (or one of them) or not. For many of us, boxing just lost it by selling out.

This big time! Even the international scene is devoid of household names with the exception of Mayweather and Pacqio. Along time ago I turned to the UFC even though it's a bit if a learning curve when it comes to understanding proper wrestling ( Greco and free style) but sometimes the ju jitsu is sublimely skilful. Having said all this even the UFC as the premier MMA organisation is threatening to derail its popularity by too many meaningless shows and match ups that don't make sense.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
This big time! Even the international scene is devoid of household names with the exception of Mayweather and Pacqio. Along time ago I turned to the UFC even though it's a bit if a learning curve when it comes to understanding proper wrestling ( Greco and free style) but sometimes the ju jitsu is sublimely skilful. Having said all this even the UFC as the premier MMA organisation is threatening to derail its popularity by too many meaningless shows and match ups that don't make sense.

We had a 'heated debate' with a cabbie in Vegas who told us Boxing was finished and UFC was the future, sorry I don't buy that UFC is just an extension of a fight in a pub car park, with a few more tattoos and possibly steroids.

British boxing is about to potentially throw up some intruiging contests.

Win or lose in Germany Fury will eventually fight Joshua and get knocked out.

Eubank Jnr clearly has designs on either moving up to,Super Middleweight and taking on Degale or staying at middleweight at taking on Golovkin, whichever he decides both these contests are potential Stadium fights at the Amex.

One stadium fight looking more likely given that Khan was with Eddie Hearn at ringside last night is Brook vs Khan

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Heading out to Dusseldorf to see Tyson hopefully beat the Ukranian robot and bring home the belt. Some other cracking domestic fights coming up especially Eubank O'Sullivan and Whyte v Joshua (Come on Dillian!) but what doesn't help is Eddie Hearns stable keep getting easy defences and opponents to manage them through the rankings. Boxing seems alive and well to me.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The Quigg vs Frampton fight will be superb early next year, A tough one to call, I just edge towards Frampton.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
We had a 'heated debate' with a cabbie in Vegas who told us Boxing was finished and UFC was the future, sorry I don't buy that UFC is just an extension of a fight in a pub car park, with a few more tattoos and possibly steroids/QUOTE]

Clearly you have never watched it to make such an assertion.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We had a 'heated debate' with a cabbie in Vegas who told us Boxing was finished and UFC was the future, sorry I don't buy that UFC is just an extension of a fight in a pub car park, with a few more tattoos and possibly steroids.

British boxing is about to potentially throw up some intruiging contests.

Win or lose in Germany Fury will eventually fight Joshua and get knocked out.

Eubank Jnr clearly has designs on either moving up to,Super Middleweight and taking on Degale or staying at middleweight at taking on Golovkin, whichever he decides both these contests are potential Stadium fights at the Amex.

One stadium fight looking more likely given that Khan was with Eddie Hearn at ringside last night is Brook vs Khan

Haven't a clue what UFC is all about (and am quite happy to stay that way!) but boxing, as a sport of the masses, is pretty much finished. In this country because it sold out, in the USA because the inalienable right for the heavyweight champion of the world to be from the USA has been taken away. Pretty much toys and pram from the USA, really.

Dedicated and committed fans only from now on, I'm afraid, Shame. I used to quite enjoy it.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Definitely a bit of a golden era in terms of young British talent rising to the top. However the lack of mainstream coverage is hurting the sport. Too many promotion companies, too many weight divisions and too many legitimate 'world' titles.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Can't wait for these two fights:

Eubank Jr - Spike O'Sullivan on December 12th.
Billy Joe Saunders - Andy Lee on December 19th.

I quite like Tyson Fury, he's a total knob but makes me laugh.
My money's on Klitschko.

What I REALLY want for Christmas, is a rematch between Eubank Jr and Saunders.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean

The Eubanks vs Benn fights were epic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In yesterdays papers Vladamir Klitchko was quoted as saying Tyson Fury is lucky to be getting a shot at his title as he isnt even the best in the UK. He says David Haye would beat him easily as would Anthony Joshua.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here