Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match Captain

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Let me start by saying that I know nothing about the merits of players in the dressing room or their abilities as motivators on a one to one basis.

Having said that, if Gordon Greer is accepted as the man for Club Captain, who is the best player as match captain in his absence?

Instinctively, I prefer the captain to play midfield as he is in the best position to exert his influence. Kayal appears to be a player able to read the game and draw others into a move. When he first joined he seemed to be organising the mid field although that does seem to have diminished recently.

Were he to be given that authority, do you think we would be better off than with a captain marooned at left back?

Clearly Hughton knows much more about personalities that I do, so it is more a question of principal rather questioning Bruno's abilities in the role.

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about the merits of players in the dressing room or their abilities as motivators on a one to one basis.

Having said that, if Gordon Greer is accepted as the man for Club Captain, who is the best player as match captain in his absence?

Instinctively, I prefer the captain to play midfield as he is in the best position to exert his influence. Kayal appears to be a player able to read the game and draw others into a move. When he first joined he seemed to be organising the mid field although that does seem to have diminished recently.

Were he to be given that authority, do you think we would be better off than with a captain marooned at left back?

Clearly Hughton knows much more about personalities that I do, so it is more a question of principal rather questioning Bruno's abilities in the role.

Firstly Bruno is a right back and, secondly, we seem to be doing well with the current arrangements. Why change it ?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I think Kayal could be the next captain if we can keep him next season.. Seems to have the respect from the players and leads by example..

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Captains job is to call heads or tails, not having an armband on doesn't mean someone can't still be a leader on the field. This season we seem to have more players willing to shout, encourage and cajole.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've always been a fan of a captain who plays in defence rather than picking your most influential player

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It begs the question: how much of an influence does a Captain have on the pitch?

It appears to me that the success of this team is that we have several leaders on the pitch at the same time - Bruno, Uwe, Rosenior, Greer, Kayal, Stephens and Bobby. Calde from the sidelines also. The key is that we are organised all over the park and there are plenty of players on there that can put others straight, or gee them up, if required.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Speak to any of Micky Adams' team and they'll tell you that Dodge was the captain on and off the field. Some captains just wear the armband and toss the coin, but the best ones set the tone for the whole club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here