Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Can anybody help in finding a 1-bed or studio flat for my niece to rent in Brighton area?

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina

My niece is starting a new job as Dental Nurse in Brighton this month, and is having difficulty finding decent accomodation to rent within her budget of about £650pcm.

We have registered with several estate agents and are also looking online with "onthemarket", "rightmove", "gumtree", etc, but with little success to date. Anything half decent has always gone before we get there!

She needs this as soon as next week, can sign up for the lease straight away and her Mum will be her guarantor.

As I live in Hampshire and can't actually help much other than online, I'm hoping that NSC will spread its table-topping tentacles and come up with a great solution for her!

Any help will be much appreciated and could be worth a pie or a pint or two at our next home game against Brum! :drink:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

My niece is starting a new job as Dental Nurse in Brighton this month, and is having difficulty finding decent accomodation to rent within her budget of about £650pcm.

We have registered with several estate agents and are also looking online with "onthemarket", "rightmove", "gumtree", etc, but with little success to date. Anything half decent has always gone before we get there!

She needs this as soon as next week, can sign up for the lease straight away and her Mum will be her guarantor.

As I live in Hampshire and can't actually help much other than online, I'm hoping that NSC will spread its table-topping tentacles and come up with a great solution for her!

Any help will be much appreciated and could be worth a pie or a pint or two at our next home game against Brum! :drink:

Plenty of offers coming your niece`s way I think

PortuGull

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Plenty of offers coming your niece`s way I think

LOL Not wishing to disrespect my niece in any way, but those kind of offers might be withdrawn upon meeting her...

Lush

Mods' Pet
I'm no expert, but at that budget, she might have to adjust her sights a little. Maybe rent a room in a nice shared house. She'll also meet people if she's new to the area and share bills etc.

If she's running out of time, she could try and find a cheap airbnb in the short term.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has she tried looking a couple of stops on the train outside of Brighton ? May widen her options a bit. Good services from Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill, Hassocks, Lewes, Shoreham......

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
As a bit of a guidline for you, we rent our box room (furnished) out in Lewes for £450 a month. For that you get all bills, breakfast and dinner, washing done....basically everything. It's currently taken though i'm afraid.

If you were renting a studio for £650, you'd have to pay all associated bills such as poll tax, gas, electric, water, TV license, food etc etc

Good luck

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Just house or flat share and save some pennies

This.

She'll be miserable and skint in a studio.
Or have a good social life, live in a nice house/flat and have money to go out when sharing.

I pay £120 p/w for a very big fully furnished room in Hove. All bills in.

PortuGull

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
As a bit of a guidline for you, we rent our box room (furnished) out in Lewes for £450 a month. For that you get all bills, breakfast and dinner, washing done....basically everything. It's currently taken though i'm afraid.

If you were renting a studio for £650, you'd have to pay all associated bills such as poll tax, gas, electric, water, TV license, food etc etc

Good luck

I'm no expert, but at that budget, she might have to adjust her sights a little. Maybe rent a room in a nice shared house. She'll also meet people if she's new to the area and share bills etc.

If she's running out of time, she could try and find a cheap airbnb in the short term.

Thanks for the guideline [MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION] - it may surprise you then that we have come close to quite a few offerings in our price range, some of which have included council tax and utilities even. So far we have just been beaten to them by some faster off the mark searchers (I think we are the Manu to their Vydra...)

Many thanks [MENTION=46]Lush[/MENTION] - this is what we are doing, using airbnb/or other to find somewhere temporary where my niece and her Mum will hole up until they sort something pemanent. We haven't finalised anything yet but they will both be checking in to somewhere on Tuesday, 10th Nov.

PortuGull

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Has she tried looking a couple of stops on the train outside of Brighton ? May widen her options a bit. Good services from Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill, Hassocks, Lewes, Shoreham......

Yes, thanks [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION] - during the next week she will certainly need to expand her search, but she currently still hopes to stay as close as possible to the more central Brighton areas...

PortuGull

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina

PortuGull

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Just house or flat share and save some pennies

This.

She'll be miserable and skint in a studio.
Or have a good social life, live in a nice house/flat and have money to go out when sharing.

I pay £120 p/w for a very big fully furnished room in Hove. All bills in.

Agree with this and both my sister and I have suggested this to her. She's still resisting the idea, says she wants to be "more independent", but this may be the solution in the end. How did you find your furnished room [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION]? (if you don't mind me asking...)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Agree with this and both my sister and I have suggested this to her. She's still resisting the idea, says she wants to be "more independent", but this may be the solution in the end. How did you find your furnished room [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION]? (if you don't mind me asking...)

I've lived all over the place, with exes in our own place, by myself inc. in studio and shared with strangers.
If she's single, it's so much better (and cheaper) sharing, by a long shot.
9/10 it's cheaper to rent a 2 bed flat and rent the other room out as studios/1 beds are so pricey.

I found my place on Gumtree, but I hear there are other websites dedicated in finding flatmates.
I think one might be called 'room share' or something like that, where you find out more about your potential house mates before you commit.

Another bonus about sharing privately, in most instances, there's little deposit, no need for a guarantor and only 1-2 weeks notice (typically).

PortuGull

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
I've lived all over the place, with exes in our own place, by myself inc. in studio and shared with strangers.
If she's single, it's so much better (and cheaper) sharing, by a long shot.
9/10 it's cheaper to rent a 2 bed flat and rent the other room out as studios/1 beds are so pricey.

I found my place on Gumtree, but I hear there are other websites dedicated in finding flatmates.
I think one might be called 'room share' or something like that, where you find out more about your potential house mates before you commit.

Another bonus about sharing privately, in most instances, there's little deposit, no need for a guarantor and only 1-2 weeks notice (typically).

Taking a 2-bed and renting out the spare room sounds interesting - hadn't thought of that. Suppose it's just a bit risky financially if she loses her tenant (2 weeks notice!) and then has to cover the entire rent on her own for a while. Also, I would have thought that some lease agreements might include a clause or two against sub-letting? Still worth looking into, thanks for that.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
She doesn't fancy a share, by any chance?
I'm in the process of looking for a one-bed for a little more (but same ballpark) but have seen many top-notch two beds for £600 each pm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here