Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 23,661

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Am I alone in being a teeny bit disappointed that more of the good people of Sussex are not coming out to see the Albion still?

I appreciate yesterday there wasn't a large away contingent and there were the train issues from the West, but I still looked around at kick-off and most stands looked a bit 'gappy'.

Over 23,000 is wonderful of course - don't get me wrong. Most clubs in the division would love to have that level of support. I just want a few more people to come along and enjoy the current ride.

Feb 14, 2010
Name another club who have spent the last 30 years playing lower league football who would get 23000 for a second tier championship game against MK Dons. In fact name more than 12 clubs in the country who would no matter the relative success they have had over the last 30 years. So no. Given the garbage on and off the pitch for generation after generation, it just goes to show how lucky the Albion are. They have however just started to scratch the surface, imagine if we had a half decent top flight side?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
B
Am I alone in being a teeny bit disappointed that more of the good people of Sussex are not coming out to see the Albion still?

I appreciate yesterday there wasn't a large away contingent and there were the train issues from the West, but I still looked around at kick-off and most stands looked a bit 'gappy'.

Over 23,000 is wonderful of course - don't get me wrong. Most clubs in the division would love to have that level of support. I just want a few more people to come along and enjoy the current ride.

If we could just win a couple of games CONVINCINGLY you would get your wish. Sussex has a rather large number of glory hunting fans who won't be entertained by a team that hangs on for 20 mins at the end of every game be it for a win or a draw, so won't be interested in coming to the Amex at the moment. I know quite a few of them

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The club are paying the price for the absolute ABOMINATION of last season. We lost 3000 sth's and a lot of people were rightly angry at the way it was going and having the piss taken. The total lack of investment in the team for 2 years, relying on average at best loanees who did not give a rat's arse, selling any decent player we had for a year or 2 and most bizarrely Tony Bloom keeping hold of a Manager a 5 year old could see was clueless by early October. You don't do that without any consequences. Luckily Bloom gathered his Marbles back and appointed the best manager outside the Premiership, got his wallet out again and is the mirror opposite of last season. 23000 against MK Dons with awful weather is a decent turnout bearing in mind all of the above

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Name another club who have spent the last 30 years playing lower league football who would get 23000 for a second tier championship game against MK Dons. In fact name more than 12 clubs in the country who would no matter the relative success they have had over the last 30 years. So no. Given the garbage on and off the pitch for generation after generation, it just goes to show how lucky the Albion are. They have however just started to scratch the surface, imagine if we had a half decent top flight side?
Well said. You bang the drum (metaphorically thankfully) for the Albion support and make an extremely good point. Most other teams with decent support have had success on the pitch (top flight football and/or title, Wembley cups, European competition, etc).

Our support is excellent.

That said, the atmosphere was shit yesterday.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A lot of Sussex folk support the Albion and, like in the old days, would attend a few games. It's very expensive for one off games these days though.

I remember, when we were established in the Second Division many moons ago, that crowds didn't seem to rise majorly when we were doing well. It happens when a team becomes comfortable at a new level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Selfishly I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing, but then again I'm not paying the bills.

If the stadium was crammed to the rafters now what would happen next season if the Albion happened to find themselves in a different division. :whistle:

Mr Barber-out would be able to charge what he wanted knowing he has a captive market even before taking into account of the opposition.

To me, size-wise, the stadium feels just about right and as much as 23k is somewhat disappointing it is 'only' 5k below the max.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
3 walk ups in front of me in the queue for a on the day ticket yesterday , 1 had been before the other 2 newbies , they were wanting to sit in the east
Stand , they left ticketless , £41 a pop !!! Seriously thats mental , yep there were £31 tickets available in the North but they wanted the east ,this cat A B C is a bit of a pisstake frankly and the sooner its binned the better .

In short football is starting to alienate people on lower incomes who simply cant afford a matchday with all the trimmings a lot of us take for granted and it bloody stinks , it would be fantastic if the club took the lead and did away with cat matches at the very least.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The club are paying the price for the absolute ABOMINATION of last season. We lost 3000 sth's and a lot of people were rightly angry at the way it was going and having the piss taken. The total lack of investment in the team for 2 years, relying on average at best loanees who did not give a rat's arse, selling any decent player we had for a year or 2 and most bizarrely Tony Bloom keeping hold of a Manager a 5 year old could see was clueless by early October. You don't do that without any consequences. Luckily Bloom gathered his Marbles back and appointed the best manager outside the Premiership, got his wallet out again and is the mirror opposite of last season. 23000 against MK Dons with awful weather is a decent turnout bearing in mind all of the above

Well said. It was a major factor in several others and I not renewing and we were die hards (STH through Gillingham and Withdean era). So when you throw cost, time, fixture changes and other commitments into equation the rationale brain won for a change! I've enjoyed going to away games too this season and being 'free' of the Season Ticket 'culture' and guilt in fairness. Quite liberating, though I've got out of the habit as they say! Perhaps if more tried this approach tickets wouldn't be so expensive... ;)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
3 walk ups in front of me in the queue for a on the day ticket yesterday , 1 had been before the other 2 newbies , they were wanting to sit in the east
Stand , they left ticketless , £41 a pop !!! Seriously thats mental , yep there were £31 tickets available in the North but they wanted the east ,this cat A B C is a bit of a pisstake frankly and the sooner its binned the better .

In short football is starting to alienate people on lower incomes who simply cant afford a matchday with all the trimmings a lot of us take for granted and it bloody stinks , it would be fantastic if the club took the lead and did away with cat matches at the very least.

It would need to be reflected in the season ticket prices, until that is done, the high cost if paying per game will remain

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Very odd they left given a good price of £31 for north and two were newbies. Whats the problem with the north?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A lot of Sussex folk support the Albion and, like in the old days, would attend a few games. It's very expensive for one off games these days though.

I remember, when we were established in the Second Division many moons ago, that crowds didn't seem to rise majorly when we were doing well. It happens when a team becomes comfortable at a new level.

This is also true. The Albions support will drop further I expect. If you take out the probable 3000 no shows yesterday then the actual attendence was really about 20-21k.

PS and £41 for an east stand walk up ticket is taking the Pisa. Justify all you like but it's as gob-smacking as the story this morning that Kevin Campbell has lost £7m investment along with load of other players like Savage and Keown. Really real shock was how the hell did a very average player like Kevin Campbell earn £7m to lose anyway? The amount players get is ridiculous!! FFS football, get your house in order!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The club are paying the price for the absolute ABOMINATION of last season. We lost 3000 sth's and a lot of people were rightly angry at the way it was going and having the piss taken. The total lack of investment in the team for 2 years

Yes. Struggling in or near the bottom three seriously impacted on ST renewals which means this seasons average is around 24K not 26K.
PS: There wasn't a "lack of investment"...Baldock, Stockdale, Stephens didn't come cheap. And all those loanees, as disapponting as they were, were still being paid hefty wages.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Wasn't this a C match v ex non league?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This is also true. The Albions support will drop further I expect. If you take out the probable 3000 no shows yesterday then the actual attendence was really about 20-21k.

There weren't anything like 3K no-shows yesterday although this sort of debate is impossible to agree on.
Who knows ?

And if Albion are in the top 6 in March and promotion looks within our grasp, when ST sales go on sale then overall support is more than likely to increase not decrease for the first time in 3 seasons. ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There weren't anything like 3K no-shows yesterday although this sort of debate is impossible to agree on.
Who knows ?

And if Albion are in the top 6 in March and promotion looks within our grasp, when ST sales go on sale then overall support is more than likely to increase not decrease for the first time in 3 seasons. ?

I'll let you into a secret...we're not going up. Anyway, my projection was based on all things stating constant ie we stay in the second tier. It's happened at every club, even massive Leeds and Wednesday. Evidence from our old Goldstone Days is more than compelling. It's just the Sussex public. If country casuals has a sale on, much of our fan base is in a quandary over whether to attend. Just saying like.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Who knows ?

Do an RFI to B&H Council, and they will tell you what the actual attendance was, it has to be recorded for the safety certificate or something like that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I arrived at 2.30 yesterday and saw people queueing 3 deep at the ticket offices to buy or collect tickets. There must have been some casual visitors or one match fans for it to have been that busy.

I am fed up with the people who say there is no atmosphere. Maybe you haven't gone to an away match for a long time, but the atmosphere at the Amex is good compare to 90% of the other Championship clubs. We do pretty well considering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here