Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's Sunday...are you a Spiritualist?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Do you believe in talking to your departed loved ones through an ouija board or spiritual medium?

There's that spiritualist church in some strange building on Edward Street. Do you go to it?

I don't know very much about it; I have seen that Colin Fry bloke who talks to dead people and gets messages from them. I'd like to know what it;s all about...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Beef a good beef fillet (preferably Aberdeen Angus) of around 1kg/2lb 4oz
3 tbsp olive oil
250g/ 9oz chestnut mushroom, include some wild ones if you like
50g/ 2oz butter
1 large sprig fresh thyme
100ml/ 3½ fl oz dry white wine
12 slices prosciutto
500g/1lb 2oz pack puff pastry, thawed if frozen
a little flour, for dusting
2 egg yolks beaten with 1 tsp water

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Do you believe in talking to your departed loved ones through an ouija board or spiritual medium?

There's that spiritualist church in some strange building on Edward Street. Do you go to it?

I don't know very much about it; I have seen that Colin Fry bloke who talks to dead people and gets messages from them. I'd like to know what it;s all about...

Went to watch Colin Fry being filmed.
Before you went you met a "researcher" on the Isle of dogs who quizzed you about who you'd lost and who you would like to contact & why...

When we got to the studio some of the audience were called out by name and had make up applied. When we went in to the auditorium these people were already seated in various places, when Colin came out he went, strangely, to these people and gave them messages...it was a total fraud.

That said, as a teenager, I was heavily involved with Ouija boards etc. it was a very frightening time for all involved and came to an epic conclusion which means that I, for one, would never do it again. There are more unpleasant effects there than I ever imagined and, to some extent, I'm still traumatised by my experiences.

Don't get involved in things you don't understand.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Went to watch Colin Fry being filmed.
Before you went you met a "researcher" on the Isle of dogs who quizzed you about who you'd lost and who you would like to contact & why...

When we got to the studio some of the audience were called out by name and had make up applied. When we went in to the auditorium these people were already seated in various places, when Colin came out he went, strangely, to these people and gave them messages...it was a total fraud.

That said, as a teenager, I was heavily involved with Ouija boards etc. it was a very frightening time for all involved and came to an epic conclusion which means that I, for one, would never do it again. There are more unpleasant effects there than I ever imagined and, to some extent, I'm still traumatised by my experiences.

Don't get involved in things you don't understand.

If you have several people with their fingers on the glass, and one person subconsciously makes a slight movement, all the other fingers will follow that path and magnify that movement. The spookyness is all in the mind and can be scientifically explained.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
All spiritualists should be arrested and charged with fraud, deception and taking money by false pretences.

Scum of the earth who prey on vulnerable/gullible people.

If you have several people with their fingers on the glass, and one person subconsciously makes a slight movement, all the other fingers will follow that path and magnify that movement. The spookyness is all in the mind and can be scientifically explained.

Both of these are spot on. Mediums are Charlatans and frauds, I agree they should be punished for preying on the weak, suggesting you are talking to a loved one for a person is disgusting.

Also, the ouija board is all in the mind. With heightened senses and fear you can 'witness' some scary events but it is all in the mind, the act of placebo. If I told you that I was going to leave you in a haunted house for the night then it is likely that you would feel or see some disturbing things..........but only due to adrenalin and fear.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
What was frightening about the Ouija board?

Well.

It started out as a laugh and ended with a night where every door in the house was knocked on by invisible fingers for 15 minutes, the whole ceiling was being rapped from above as if by 1,000 knuckles...there were 10 people in the house just standing with their mouths open at 3 in the morning whilst this was going on. The phones in our houses would ring constantly with no one there...it was damned spooky.

There was a massive smell of rotten meat which followed us around for months and each of us were visited separately by what can only be described as "shadow men" who would be seen standing in front of windows and from the corner of our eyes. If you meddle with it there can be consequences. I'm not an overly "ghosty" person but that episode of my life was not one I would want to repeat.

Someone once told me that using an Ouija board is like opening your front door onto a busy city street and inviting whoever is passing by to come on in. Sooner or later someone will enter who you really don't want there,& once in, they're difficult to get rid of.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Both of these are spot on. Mediums are Charlatans and frauds, I agree they should be punished for preying on the weak, suggesting you are talking to a loved one for a person is disgusting.

Also, the ouija board is all in the mind. With heightened senses and fear you can 'witness' some scary events but it is all in the mind, the act of placebo. If I told you that I was going to leave you in a haunted house for the night then it is likely that you would feel or see some disturbing things..........but only due to adrenalin and fear.

I don't agree. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well.

It started out as a laugh and ended with a night where every door in the house was knocked on by invisible fingers for 15 minutes, the whole ceiling was being rapped from above as if by 1,000 knuckles...there were 10 people in the house just standing with their mouths open at 3 in the morning whilst this was going on. The phones in our houses would ring constantly with no one there...it was damned spooky.

There was a massive smell of rotten meat which followed us around for months and each of us were visited separately by what can only be described as "shadow men" who would be seen standing in front of windows and from the corner of our eyes. If you meddle with it there can be consequences. I'm not an overly "ghosty" person but that episode of my life was not one I would want to repeat.

Someone once told me that using an Ouija board is like opening your front door onto a busy city street and inviting whoever is passing by to come on in. Sooner or later someone will enter who you really don't want there,& once in, they're difficult to get rid of.

How did you know there were invisible fingers?

How do you know if one person out of the 10 didn't set it up? Was it your house?

Teenage hippies can be quite smelly.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I don't agree. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

No, you are right. There are boogie men, ghosts, goblins and fairies that all keep an eye on us. Grow up FFS. We live in a time where nearly the whole world carry a mobile phone camera around with them at all times. not one single person has caught good evidence of anything ghost like at all, in fact those that have has been shown to be fake. It is you that is clueless, or gullible, or both.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
How did you know there were invisible fingers?

How do you know if one person out of the 10 didn't set it up? Was it your house?

Teenage hippies can be quite smelly.

It was my house.
If you knock on a wooden door very fast and continuously...it sounded like that. Not using a hammer but knuckles.
The other people there were all medics. Not teenage hippies. Doctors, midwives...that sort of hippy.
Anyway. I was there, I heard and saw the things I mentioned. Just because you weren't doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
No, you are right. There are boogie men, ghosts, goblins and fairies that all keep an eye on us. Grow up FFS. We live in a time where nearly the whole world carry a mobile phone camera around with them at all times. not one single person has caught good evidence of anything ghost like at all, in fact those that have has been shown to be fake. It is you that is clueless, or gullible, or both.

Thanks for that. If you knew me, as many on here do, you'd know I'm not some wild eyed fantasist. The things I experienced happened exactly as I describe. Just because you weren't involved does not make me a liar.

FFS.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was my house.
If you knock on a wooden door very fast and continuously...it sounded like that. Not using a hammer but knuckles.
The other people there were all medics. Not teenage hippies. Doctors, midwives...that sort of hippy.
Anyway. I was there, I heard and saw the things I mentioned. Just because you weren't doesn't mean it didn't happen.

No I wasn't there but most things can be rationalised.

My mate had a ghost radar app on his phone and I got him to switch it on. A few minutes later it came up with the name Peter. It was my dad's name and he had died in the property about10 years earlier. It shocked me at first but it really concerned my mate, and later I watched him notice the door moving/banging whilst closed, which happens when it is windy, but it sounds like something is trying to open it.

I just rationalised the ghost radar app picking the name at random, and getting it right, was just a coincidence, however it set my mate off in thinking there was a ghost playing with the door as well.

boik

Thanks for that. If you knew me, as many on here do, you'd know I'm not some wild eyed fantasist. The things I experienced happened exactly as I describe. Just because you weren't involved does not make me a liar.

FFS.

I think the personal insults were uncalled for, but rest assured there is nothing "supernatural" going on. Every investigation has shown either deception by the "spiritualist" or a misunderstanding/over-eagerness to believe by the subject.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here